Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Two days ago, my Bug decided to start dripping fuel. I pushed it into the garage the next day, and it was still dripping fuel. Today, I go out, and it’s no longer dripping fuel. I trace the accessible parts of the fuel line and don’t detect any anomalies, so I decide to get the leak dripping again to trace it. The car was parked on a slight incline when it first started leaking, so I jacked up the front of the car, and sure enough, it started leaking. However, it only lasted for 5-10 minutes, and then quit. I traced the accessible parts of the fuel line again, and didn’t find any gas on any of the lines. The confusing part is that the leak is dripping off one of the left pushrod covers, and that area doesn’t really have any points for gas to easily leak from.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have spent an entire afternoon trying to trace the leak, and have come up with nothing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

What kind of fuel line do you use and how old is it?, stock carb or duals?, ever looked at the dipstick and sniffed it?, genuine fuel pump or mystery brand?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

You didn’t say if it’s a dual-port engine, but if it is, if you have cracked intake boots, then if fuel gets into the manifold it can drip onto the tin.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Sounds like an overflowing carburetor especially if it only happens when you lift the front of the car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

What about the fuel tank vent line. Where is it dripping?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Check where the fuel line passes through the front tin. There should be a rubber hose that connects to a piece of hard line that passes through the tin, then rubber hose from that hard line to the fuel pump.

The hard line when passing through the tin is supposed to be protected by a rubber grommet. If the grommet is missing or in bad shape, it can allow the tin to hacksaw through the hard line over time, creating a leak.

Given that you are seeing the leak dripping off the left side tin, that’s what I would check.

If you are using the stock-type cloth-covered fuel hose, feel for wetness near any junctions. The cloth cover will sometimes soak up small fuel leaks so as to prevent drips. If you feel any wetness at a junction, that’s your leak point.
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Sounds like an overflowing carburetor especially if it only happens when you lift the front of the car.

That might be it. Now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure the previous owner put ethanol-containing fuel in the car. That could have caused the seals to deteriorate, and they just now failed. Hmm. Good idea. I’ll check that
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Satou wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

That might be it. Now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure the previous owner put ethanol-containing fuel in the car. That could have caused the seals to deteriorate, and they just now failed. Hmm. Good idea. I’ll check that

Your carb could just be adjusted incorrectly, or the needle valve could have a piece of crud stuck in it. Or it could be something else entirely. You asked for suggestions and you got a few things to check.

I've been using ethanol fuel in my vehicles since the 80s, it is all I buy, and have not had any fuel issues that could be attributed to it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Gentleman, smell your oil. Laughing
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

I've checked a few things.

The rubber grommet for the fuel line has popped out of its housing, but I don't think the line is worn through.

If the fuel is coming out of the carbeurator, is there a place where I can feel the fuel dripping out?

It's probably the float needle, to be honest. Should I just buy some gaskets and adjust the spacing and see if that works?
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Gentleman, smell your oil. Laughing

Agreed 👍
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Remember that fuel leak that was dripping from a mystery place to the pushrod cover? Turns out the fuel was leaking from the pushrod cover.
Backstory: About a week ago, we were investigating the fuel leak, and we pulled off the valve cover to see what we could see. Turns out the seal was too big, so we cut it and made it fit. Today, we pulled it out of the garage to clean out the engine (SeaFoamed it). The engine had to be running at a decently high RPM, and when I got out, fuel was dripping from the valve cover where we trimmed the gasket.

The car still runs, but has problems idling. I have to give it some gas to get it to start, and if I completely let off the gas, it’ll die fairly quickly. Which, as far as I know, that would line up with the issue.

Sooooo...

Is there supposed to be liquid fuel in the head?
What do you suggest that I do now?
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Plus, I’ve got gas leaking into the oil.
How should I determine if it’s the carburetor or the fuel pump?
Suggestions?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Satou wrote:

Turns out the fuel was leaking from the pushrod cover.
Is there supposed to be liquid fuel in the head?

There should be no liquid fuel anywhere inside of the engine. Stop running the engine until you figure it t.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Have you checked the carburetor? If it is overflowing, where exactly do you think the fuel will go? Popcorn

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

I’m trying to determine whether it’s the carbeurator or the fuel pump, but I’m not sure which it is. The previous owner appears to have replaced the fuel pump, probably because of this issue. In which case, it’s probably the carbeurator. I think the carbeurator (if it had an issue) would be the culprit of the fuel in the head, as it would drain down from the carbeurator into the head, but I’m not sure.
Meaning...
Rebuild kit?
New carbeurator?

Plus, the pushrod cover that is dripping is one of the spring loaded ones, and appears to have failed. Should I trust the spring loaded ones from now on and replace it with another, or go back to the original?

Random question: Can you run a Bug with the valve cover off?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Satou wrote:
Plus, the pushrod cover that is dripping is one of the spring loaded ones, and appears to have failed. Should I trust the spring loaded ones from now on and replace it with another, or go back to the original?

Do you mean pushrod tube? The head has to come off to install the one piece ones, the spring loaded ones can be installed with the engine together.
You can run it with the valve cover off, but it'll spatter oil all over the place, and lots of it.

Are you completely sure the fuel is coming from the pushrod tube seal?, or is it running down the outside of the engine from above and dripping off that spot?

A new looking pump doesn't mean it's not to blame, but raw gas opposed to thin oil dripping is more often from a carb overflow combined with a leak at a manifold boot, or where the manifold meets the head, a bad pump fills the crankcase and mixed with the oil.

Taking the top off the carb is a good start, check the float for fuel inside of it causing it to sink or ride low. Also blow out the needle and seat in case there's debris in it making it leak when the float is up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Are you completely sure the fuel is coming from the pushrod tube seal?, or is it running down the outside of the engine from above and dripping off that spot?

I’m almost positive it’s coming from the pushrod tube seal, seeing as it’s also dripping out the valve cover.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

Satou wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I’m almost positive it’s coming from the pushrod tube seal, seeing as it’s also dripping out the valve cover.

So the tide is in so high in the crankcase it's overflowing there?

Слава Україні!
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A fuel leak defies all efforts to find the source Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Satou wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

So the tide is in so high in the crankcase it's overflowing there?

Seems that way, yes
The valve seal was cut (to make it fit while the new one was on its way), which I think contributed to the leak there
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: