Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

A friend got the unfortunate task of clearing out a deceased friend’s garage of contents. While these weren’t VW parts, there was a large amount of parts/automotive memorabilia. One such stash was about 100 dealer plate frames from various local dealers of Ford/Chevy/Mopar from the last 50 years. While we were looking up some on eBay to see if there was any value in dealerships we personally knew of, none really created any buzz. So I started looking up some VW ones to show “the audience” at the computer, and we couldn’t understand why some had been sold for hundreds of dollars. Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, none of them had the following the VW frames did.

What makes VW people so crazy for dealer plate frames? Was it simply that the new purchase of a VW was inexpensive, that a dealer plate created some significance the dealer really cared to throw in an elaborate plate frame garnish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Some dealerships have a reputation such as Vasek Polak Porsche, Baldwin Motion, Spalding Dodge and others.

This is the original frame from the dealership that closed a few years later.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You might want to read this topic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65292

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

What makes a Rog Portnoy VW, Oxnard Imported Cars from Oxnard CA worth $588, when something like Yenko Chevrolet less than $50? The American dealers, or really any dealers, aren’t even close to the overall values of the VW plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

I don't know if there's any rhyme or reason to values. Certainly better condition will get more $$. But what someone will pay seems to be the rule. Perhaps a more "desirable" frame from a popular or well known dealership with limited availability will fetch more. Who knows. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Personally, I like running YOM number plates with original dealer frames. My '67 bug (Birdsong Motors Tampa, FL) and my '66 KG vert (Eyerly VW Salem, OR) still wear their original dealer frames since new.

My '65 bug still has its original number plate from back in '65. Despite it being Mrs. Hubert Brundage's personal car, there was no dealer frame. I spoke with Jan Brundage (from whom I bought the car) when I acquired this Brumos Porsche frame a few months ago. He told me that when his dad, Hubert Brundage, passed in 1964 the VW section of the dealership stopped using the Brundage Motors VW frames. None replaced them. But he said the Brumos Porsche would be period correct for my '65, though on the Porsche side of the dealership. Even though not "proper" per se, I run it on my bug as a tribute to the first owner and the dealership it came from.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What makes a Rog Portnoy VW, Oxnard Imported Cars from Oxnard CA worth $588,

Is that asking or selling price? Anyone can ask anything, doesn't mean they get it.

[email protected] wrote:
when something like Yenko Chevrolet less than $50?

It's a reproduction.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
What makes a Rog Portnoy VW, Oxnard Imported Cars from Oxnard CA worth $588,

Is that asking or selling price? Anyone can ask anything, doesn't mean they get it.

[email protected] wrote:
when something like Yenko Chevrolet less than $50?

It's a reproduction.

The Oxford Imports is a sold price. While the current eBay listings for Yenko surrounds are reproductions, the real ones aren’t going for much either after talking with an enthusiast that owns vehicles bought from the dealership.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What makes a Rog Portnoy VW, Oxnard Imported Cars from Oxnard CA worth $588...

That plate frame has probably been bought and sold many times over, with each guy raising the price each time it's flipped. THAT's what's with VW people Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

You should talk to restojohnny, he's probably the king of VW dealer plate knowledge.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What makes a Rog Portnoy VW, Oxnard Imported Cars from Oxnard CA worth $588, when something like Yenko Chevrolet less than $50? The American dealers, or really any dealers, aren’t even close to the overall values of the VW plates.

Chevy sold 10 times more total vehicles then Volkswagen. That Yenco plate would have come on a pick-up, station wagon, Chevette, Caddilac Pontiac, Buick, Osmobile, that the Yenco dealership sold.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Supply and Demand?

Honestly I'm not sure why the values, especially for most of the dealers which are "unknown".

Something like Econo Motors in Riverside, CA or Competition Motors in Hollywood, CA I understand a greater value since they are "historical" dealers.
$500 though? I'd never pay it.

You are wrong about Porsche frames though, some of those are insane and make VW plate frames look dirt cheap.
Hint:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Supply and Demand?

Holy smokes Shocked !! Given the prices of vintage Porsches, parts costs and just the nutty nature of some car enthusiasts, it only takes two who really want something to drive the auction price into the irrational.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

The Oxnard plate was the highest VW one I viewed within the last couple of months, and I think it’s the highest presently in completed sold listings. That Competition Motors is silly. 67 Florida Deluxe is right that it only takes two people sentimentally bidding, that are willing to pay substantially more than common market value, to really push a winning bid. The completed sold listings presently, sorted highest to lowest, have an overwhelming majority of VW frames.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

The aircooled VW hobbyist is a little different! The plate frames are one thing. The severe lowering and narrow front track are other interesting features. We have this body as found thing that is similar to rat-rods but different -- not stripped down and often with completely restored or new drivetrain.

Like many parts of the auto world there is the big stock push and popular traditional hot rod looks (for VW aircooled think Cal-Look) currently in fashion. I guess I chock this up to the large number of old Beetles and how they are a part of so many people's memories. More thinking... (that's the burning smell -- not motor oil) almost expecting a resurgence of the baja Bugs, especially the street version.

P.S. - I've got a Marable Motors license plate frame plan to stick on my Buggy. They were an Aberdeen Washington VW dealer though 1963.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

I can't even explain why I like these damn cars much less why I love dealer frames.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Don’t assume all VW people value dealer frames so much! I like them; they’re cool and especially if they’re original to the vehicle or special to the owner. I could give a crap less, except the ones that bear my family name (way distant cousins).

I’ve had a wanted ad up for years for Sherrill’s VW Klamath Falls plates with no response...ever. I would certainly shell out some money, but 100’s and 100’s? No. I prefer to spend the money on the actual vehicles/parts. Then again, I do hoard steering boxes, so maybe plate frame obsessions aren’t that insane hahaha

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Don’t assume all VW people value dealer frames so much! I like them; they’re cool and especially if they’re original to the vehicle or special to the owner. I could give a crap less, except the ones that bear my family name (way distant cousins).

I’ve had a wanted ad up for years for Sherrill’s VW Klamath Falls plates with no response...ever. I would certainly shell out some money, but 100’s and 100’s? No. I prefer to spend the money on the actual vehicles/parts. Then again, I do hoard steering boxes, so maybe plate frame obsessions aren’t that insane hahaha

^^^ This is my thinking too. I collect bruised VWs. Some see that as a waste of money. Yet they all give me joy. If I had a minty fresh vintage VW then I’d drop some coin on a VW dealer frame that was local or unique to me.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

This is the best frame used on a VW I can think of. It’s “Clatter’s” Fastback. Clatter lives 30 miles from San Jose and has Porsche wheels and brakes on his VW. The frame has Porsche and VW logos from a local dealer back in the day.
Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Gkeeton, I think that a lot of people see a plate frame as a fairly quick and easy way to customize and personalize ones car in a way that's not permanent but is still very noticeable. Or at least that's why I wanted one. Laughing I thought it would be cool to have a frame from my local (now long since closed) VW dealership, even though my Beetle wasn't originally purchased anywhere near here. I'm thinking I paid around $140 for mine several years ago. Yes it was painful, but I've yet to see another one in similar shape come up for sale.

Just my two cents.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

For me, my VW's story is as interesting to me as the car itself. A big part of that is where it started its life after it left the factory. In my case, that was Gus Mozart Motors in Palo Alto (I bought it in Maryland over 50 years later). The frames I found and restored make for a good conversation starter at shows, etc.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Plate frames have gone from about $30-50 to $200 for no good reason, other than there is a lot of cash out there and the typical VW enthusiast is aging and better off then before.

I can see an iconic dealer like Competition Motors going for a lot, especially if they also sold Porsche cars. Porsche prices force it up.

But I just saw one from a nearby town that is not known for anything special as far as VWs are concerned. It topped $200. Just silly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: