Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
For me, my VW's story is as interesting to me as the car itself. A big part of that is where it started its life after it left the factory. In my case, that was Gus Mozart Motors in Palo Alto (I bought it in Maryland over 50 years later). The frames I found and restored make for a good conversation starter at shows, etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After looking for a Victory Sales (Portsmouth , Va) frame forever and not finding, I nearly gave up. Then my father and mother died.......had to clean house, and low and behold there was a plate frame I had purchased on the 1966 VW sedan, in the bottom of a box he had packed up in 1970 when I went into the service. Miracles do happen everyday! Oh and another 50 years later story.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Don’t assume all VW people value dealer frames so much! I like them; they’re cool and especially if they’re original to the vehicle or special to the owner. I could give a crap less

This is my sentiment, too. But when it comes to YOM license plates, that's a different story. I will spend some $$ for the right weight code, county code and condition. I love to run YOM number plates on all my old cars.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
Don’t assume all VW people value dealer frames so much! I like them; they’re cool and especially if they’re original to the vehicle or special to the owner. I could give a crap less

This is my sentiment, too. But when it comes to YOM license plates, that's a different story. I will spend some $$ for the right weight code, county code and condition. I love to run YOM number plates on all my old cars.

True, those can go for a lot too.

I'm glad the Arizona vintage plates are not really in demand and cheap, at least compared to CA yellow/black plates.

I think the one on my '63 Bus was around $30
(Hard to remember now)

I did pay more than later AZ plates for my 1954 plate/55 attachment piece though:

The early big format plate frames can be big $$$ sometimes too since they are often unique from state-to-state.
I have seen very few of the Arizona ones but a lot of different ones from California
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

I'm glad the Arizona vintage plates are not really in demand and cheap, at least compared to CA yellow/black plates.

(Hard to remember now)

I did pay more than later AZ plates for my 1954 plate/55 attachment piece though:

The early big format plate frames can be big $$$ sometimes too since they are often unique from state-to-state.
I have seen very few of the Arizona ones but a lot of different ones from California

Not to veer too far off course, EB, but where's a good resource to learn which AZ vintage plate/plates would be correct for a '62 DC? I moved to Surprise and will eventually look to install an original-style plate vs the MVD-issued plate. Thanks.

(I like the original-to-vic or correct-by-state plates more than the frames themselves...well, unless it's the original-to-the-vehicle dealer frame haha some-antics).

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
A friend got the unfortunate task of clearing out a deceased friend’s garage of contents. While these weren’t VW parts, there was a large amount of parts/automotive memorabilia. One such stash was about 100 dealer plate frames from various local dealers of Ford/Chevy/Mopar from the last 50 years. While we were looking up some on eBay to see if there was any value in dealerships we personally knew of, none really created any buzz. So I started looking up some VW ones to show “the audience” at the computer, and we couldn’t understand why some had been sold for hundreds of dollars. Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, none of them had the following the VW frames did.

What makes VW people so crazy for dealer plate frames? Was it simply that the new purchase of a VW was inexpensive, that a dealer plate created some significance the dealer really cared to throw in an elaborate plate frame garnish?

So I gotta ask, don't happen to have a Mose's VW plate frame in there do ya?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
EverettB wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:

(Hard to remember now)

Not to veer too far off course, EB, but where's a good resource to learn which AZ vintage plate/plates would be correct for a '62 DC? I moved to Surprise and will eventually look to install an original-style plate vs the MVD-issued plate. Thanks.

(I like the original-to-vic or correct-by-state plates more than the frames themselves...well, unless it's the original-to-the-vehicle dealer frame haha some-antics).

This reference looks good
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Arizona

You want a 1961 plate with a 1962 sticker in your case, although I can't remember if they cared about the year sticker when I did it.

I put my actual expiration sticker on a little plate hanging below.
I don't have a great photo of it but you can sort of see it here on the lower right

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Supply and Demand?

Holy smokes Shocked !! Given the prices of vintage Porsches, parts costs and just the nutty nature of some car enthusiasts, it only takes two who really want something to drive the auction price into the irrational.

We all know that a Porsche is nothing more than a rebodied VW that sells for 10 times as much, so it is only logical that anything "Porsche" fetches huge dolla. Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
So I gotta ask, don't happen to have a Mose's VW plate frame in there do ya?

No, sorry, the frames were all American Car Dealerships.

The year of manufacture license plate is a unique thing. Pa had special white/purple designated plates for Antique/Classic, then they went to a plate similar appearing to the current modern plates with a Model T on it. It wasn’t until 2005 or so did they let you use yom plates. There are some hoops to jump through, in that you have to send a photo of the plate to the dmv so they can verify it’s a real plate, and that the numbers/letters are not presently being used. Then there are some additional fees. One issue with PA is, the NEWEST yom plate you can use for Antique/Classic is a plate from 1976. So if you have a 79 Super, or a 90 Vanagon, and didn’t want the modern issue Antique/Classic plate, you would have to use the 76 plate. Prices have risen slightly on the older issues purple/white plates, but others are less than $25 off of eBay. There are also companies that reproduce PA date stickers, so finding a plate that’s close to put the sticker you need is very simple.

I’m one NOT for plate frames. Whether I’ve seen to many stupid ones, or know too many people that didn’t get their deal at the dealership to feel they had to advertise for them, I just think it clutters up the plate area. Like any other judged item, I’m sure there those that gain acceptance, and those that loose it by having a frame. I would bet overall that points would be deducted at an actual show judged event for having a plate frame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

This reference looks good
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Arizona

You want a 1961 plate with a 1962 sticker in your case, although I can't remember if they cared about the year sticker when I did it.

I put my actual expiration sticker on a little plate hanging below.
I don't have a great photo of it but you can sort of see it here on the lower right

Ok, that’s what I’ve heard and thanks. I like your Cabazon picture haha thought about doing the same some day.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Another opp for 3D print replicas in abs

If wankers will spend $x00 for the real thing , there is a market for $25 ones with COGS of 25 cents
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If wankers will spend $x00 for the real thing , there is a market for $25 ones with COGS of 25 cents

I've suggested this, too. If they incorporate the right fonts, and the embossed "arcs" and checkerboards just like originals, and can be spray-chromed, I'd easily pay $25+ for some.

I'm not sure what copyright/trademark issues there may be, though. If the dealership has closed, probably not so much.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Missed that, sorry. Didn’t mean to ghost you.

I’ve got a three color 3D one but am evaluating the new kid on the block right now.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I've suggested this, too. If they incorporate the right fonts, and the embossed "arcs" and checkerboards just like originals, and can be spray-chromed, I'd easily pay $25+ for some.

I'm not sure what copyright/trademark issues there may be, though. If the dealership has closed, probably not so much.

This is another thing imo against the frames being so unique. While it’s not going to be $25, you could easily reproduce any frame you want in 3D printed Bronze. Chrome it, and paint detail it, and no one would know the difference.

Another issue is if you do find that frame you’ve always wanted, and it isn’t in the best of shape, do you really want it on your freshly painted/restored vehicle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Missed that, sorry. Didn’t mean to ghost you.

I’ve got a three color 3D one but am evaluating the new kid on the block right now.

Not at all! I'm just hoping someone will make these, and that we find a cheap "plastic chrome" process (like the old plastic models used to use), and then have an affordable alternative.

Let us know how it goes!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for me Wink

So which frames are most popular?

If someone would like a copy, or will be generous, i can make a 3d printed product if i have a pencil rubbing which they could send me a pdf copy of.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Dealership plate frames are neat, but to me they are just a novelty.

I have run my family's old dealership plate frames on my cars through the years though....again sentimental value for our family of our history.

Now, that being said- I did create a 'reproduction' of the dealership vinyl decal from my beetle's OG dealership, but I can't say that I would pay anymore than a few dollars for things like dealership frames or decals.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/jgsmithautos_dover_de_sticker_2.jpg
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

I thought I read about who used to make the metal frames. I know they were often sourced locally, but there were some common sources in southern California, I thought. Lots of postwar machine shops and foundries in the Los Angeles/Orange County areas. Anyone got info? It might help when investigating fonts and other features if we could trace their origins.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I thought I read about who used to make the metal frames. I know they were often sourced locally, but there were some common sources in southern California, I thought. Lots of postwar machine shops and foundries in the Los Angeles/Orange County areas. Anyone got info? It might help when investigating fonts and other features if we could trace their origins.

Eric Zitzmann in NorCal had a grip of original stamps last I knew. Not sure which ones. They weren’t “Sherrill’s VW” or “Klamath Falls,” so I didn’t bother to note haha. I’d fly some repops without hesitation, since it’s cool just to find a previous dealership of the same, uncommon name.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

Ive got a few generous folks sending pensile rubbings, photo copies, measurements, photos, etc.

So now everyone will have their affordable clone frames Wink

KTPhill also brought up an interesting idea. Along with the dealership clone plates, custom plates may appeal?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is it with VW enthusiasts and Dealer Plate Frames? Reply with quote

More of a good thing. I started gathering this stuff at a salvage yard in the mid 1990s

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: