Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it a 66 or a 67?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Last week I purchased a 67 Westfalia at auction (BaT). Some of you may have seen the proceedings. This isn't my first camper - between 1977 and 1995 I had three 66's and two 67's, all Westfalia campmobiles. All my 66's had the shore power in the back above the taillights, and no backup lights. Both my 67's had backup lights above the taillights, and they had the 12 Volt lightning sticker in the driver's side door jamb.

The camper I bought last week has the shore power in back and no backup lights. The date code on the chassis plate is 07 7 and the first digit of the VIN is 7. So that says July 7, 1967.

The Westfalia package is a 66. Says so on the plate. Benonnung SO42 Fabrik Nr. 6416 Baujahr 19 66

I haven't had time to get into the electrical system and engine - I've barely looked the bus over. But it sure looks like the 66's I owned more than it looks like the 67's.

My question is, have you all ever seen other 67's made this way, with no backup lights?

Thank you all for your wisdom,

Will
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Plenty of early 67's with no backup lights, small radio opening.

Does the VIN on the mcode plate match the stamped VIN/VIN tag?

July 67 would be late in the split production so you would expect all the late features (backup lights, big radio opening). I've seen a few early 67 Westy's with 66 dated kits in them.

Post the whole mcode plate.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

The first digit of the VIN is a "7?" The third digit is key to knowing model year of your bus.

The earliest '67s had no backup lights as srfndoc said. But For it to have an early July manufacture date it should still be a '66. Could it have been held over at Westfalia? I'll bet it could.

Nobody will try anything devious with your VIN info so it won't be a risk to share nearly the whole VIN- enough for us to be helpful any way.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the edited M-code plate off BAT. Personally I think this just a super late hold over and no back up lights installed at the factory. Not sure exactly when the change was made and I'm sure someone with time can look into Progressive Refinements and figure it out.
Looks like a nice Westy and have fun with it! I just sold my 67 Westy last year but went slightly older to a 63 SO34.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Thank you for your prompt replies. I should have posted these pictures before but here they are. These are actually shots from the auction. I have not had time to do much with the camper yet. One thing, I do wish to take some stripper or whatever and get to the engraved number. The picture is rather hard to see but it appears to show 2370, which would match up. I'm also including a shot of the Westfalia plate. I think it very well may be that the car got held up at Westfalia. The VIN on the title (Michigan) is shown as C237002101

(The M-code plate is covered in white spray paint - as is much of the interior original paint, and most if not all of the exterior has been poorly painted too. Radio hole got enlarged too). But all that will be another thread...

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

3rd digit = 7 means it's a 67. End of story
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

My 67 Westy has the plug in the back, no back-up lights and a single circuit MC but it has a large radio hole. Go figure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

My first split was a very early '67. I still remember the VIN 247000426
No reverse lights, small radio opening and single circuit brakes.
It was 12 volt, had the '67 dash knobs, the '67 gas flap and hatch.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Yep! That VIN plate on your overhead air channel is telling us that it is a very early 1967 model year Transporter. Cool!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the informative responses! It's nice to have a split window bus again and be amongst the people who love them
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

will t wrote:
Thank you for your prompt replies. I should have posted these pictures before but here they are. These are actually shots from the auction. I have not had time to do much with the camper yet. One thing, I do wish to take some stripper or whatever and get to the engraved number. The picture is rather hard to see but it appears to show 2370, which would match up. I'm also including a shot of the Westfalia plate. I think it very well may be that the car got held up at Westfalia. The VIN on the title (Michigan) is shown as C237002101

(The M-code plate is covered in white spray paint - as is much of the interior original paint, and most if not all of the exterior has been poorly painted too. Radio hole got enlarged too). But all that will be another thread...

wait a minute! looks to me that the stamped vin and the 2 removable vin tags dont match up!!!!! the tags both say 237002101 while the stamped, and most likely original vin, says 237082?9?. looks like someone swapped the vin tags from another bus.
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Quote:
wait a minute! looks to me that the stamped vin and the 2 removable vin tags dont match up!!!!! the tags both say 237002101 while the stamped, and most likely original vin, says 237082?9?. looks like someone swapped the vin tags from another bus.

I see the same thing. I am going to strip the (added) paint off that area to expose the stamped VIN this morning.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

If any VIN swapping went on they did a mighty fine job with an eye for detail. The insanely small dome head screws that secure the mcode tag look original and untouched with factory paint (these usually get lost in the process of swapping and replaced with whatever phillips screws the scoundrel has at hand) . The rivets that hold the aluminum tag to the overhead box also look 50+ years old and unscathed. Strip back a wee bit of paint in the engine compartment to reveal the VIN before pushing panic button Smile
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Ok I stripped back a wee bit of paint to get a good look:

I agree the rivets and screws look pretty untouched other than the white spray paint on the M-code plate
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

will t wrote:

I agree the rivets and screws look pretty untouched other than the white spray paint on the M-code plate

Everything matches up like it should so you're all good. The m-code plate doesn't list the 23 portion of the VIN as it's technically the model#. 23 is the 2312. 231 is Kombi with left hand drive and the 2 is the paint type.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

great news. i swear that first pic of the vin looked like an 8.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

Yay! Good news!! Mcode tag is supposed to be painted the same colour as the rest of the cab- that is why it is a give away when it has been removed/replaced as the paint around it frequently is damaged when the tag is carelessly removed.
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
will t wrote:

Everything matches up like it should so you're all good. The m-code plate doesn't list the 23 portion of the VIN as it's technically the model#. 23 is the 2312. 231 is Kombi with left hand drive and the 2 is the paint type.

Yes, I agree, the way I read the M-codes is: UN is destination New York, of 2312 i read 23 is Kombi, 23A is cargo doors right, LHD, which this bus is, but isn't an "A", 1 is the "variation on the model", perhaps that it was destined for Westfalia, and the 2 is Nitro-Laquer finish
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Yay! Good news!! Mcode tag is supposed to be painted the same colour as the rest of the cab- that is why it is a give away when it has been removed/replaced as the paint around it frequently is damaged when the tag is carelessly removed.

This bus was "restored"! Much of the interior is painted with white spray paint. They even painted vinyl on the rear big cushion and the (wrong for this model) stool! I have some pictures:

stool

cushion - all sides of course

sheet metal all over, and radio hole enlarged

and the pulley wheels?
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is it a 66 or a 67? Reply with quote

My 67 kombi doesn't have backup lights, not sure about the radio opening as it was trimmed for a "modern" head unit already when I got it.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: