Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am rebuilding my first 1973 Super Beetle Convertible and an trying to verify all of the connections to the carb (see the attached photo):

Thanks
Matt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

The hose on the left side of the carb goes to the vacuum can on the distributor. The other hose connections can be plugged.
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

Thank you, what are the plugged holes normally used for?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

quantumchaos wrote:

One of the rear-facing ports would go to a distributor vacuum can on a stock 1973 distributor (which you don't have). The other would be used if an autostick VW.

The vacuum advance line on the left should be a "shepherd's crook" metal tube.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
One of the rear-facing ports would go to a distributor vacuum can on a stock 1973 distributor (which you don't have).

Plug this one.

Cusser wrote:
The other would be used if an autostick VW.

This is also used on the Mexican Bocar 34-3 carbs w/the attached dashpot to keep the throttle from snapping shut immediately when you let off the gas. You should plug this one too since you don't have a dashpot installed.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
quantumchaos wrote:

One of the rear-facing ports would go to a distributor vacuum can on a stock 1973 distributor (which you don't have). The other would be used if an autostick VW.

The vacuum advance line on the left should be a "shepherd's crook" metal tube.

Will the fuel line I have attached work instead of the shepherd's crook, I don't think I ever had that part.

Thanks Again
Matt
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

The vacuum line just needs to go up a ways and then down so that any liquid gasoline will run back into the carburetor and not into the vacuum canister. You might be able to run it up through a clip on the air cleaner and then back down to the canister.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

If you don't have the metal "shepherds hook", but have a factory air filter box, route the left port vacuum up through the bottom half of the left side airbox clip, then down to the vacuum diaphram.
The vacuum line you have should fit nicely under the clip against the lower portion of airbox, then down to distributor, IF your line is long enough.

As stated by others, the two rear ports should be plugged.

There are several "schools of thought" on fuel filter placement. Research and then decide on final placement. If you would prefer a metal filter, research WIX 33031.

Nice color scheme and detail.

Is that a standard size crank pully and if so, where did you source the alternator belt?

Good Luck
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

Thanks, I understand now, this is all new to me, I bought this car and am completely rebuilding it blind lol, I have never even worked on any cars before so it's all new to me.

Yes this is a standard chrome crank pulley from Jbugs and the belt came from Amazon Smile

Thanks Again
Matt
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

quantumchaos wrote:
... this is all new to me, I bought this car and am completely rebuilding it blind lol, I have never even worked on any cars before so it's all new to me.

I love it! You have begun a long and fun journey!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

First question... what model carb are you running? The vacuum advance port on the left of the carb operates differently depending on the carb model. The SVDA distributor you are running requires "ported vacuum" for vacuum advance. That means the SVDA will work with any Solex Pict -3 carb (30Pict-3, 34Pict-3 and 34Pict-4), but won't work with the Pict -1 carb vacuum advance port (28Pict-1, 30Pict-1, H30/31) as the left side vacuum port is venturi vacuum not ported vacuum.

Found a pic of a nearly original engine with vacuum hoses ('74 Beetle pictured):

You can see the "shepherds crook/hook" running up before it goes down to the vacuum port on the dual-vacuum distributor. This is the vacuum advance connection.

The green hose is the vacuum retard hose. Note that it also goes up, but runs thru the clip on the air cleaner housing before connecting to the (hidden) second vacuum port on the distributor.

There is a third hose connected to the rear facing port of the carb. Not sure where it goes. I believe that port was meant for autostick transmissions, but the pictured engine is not an autostick?

This pic may also help:

Any unused ports on the carb or intake need to be capped/plugged to prevent a vacuum leak.

If you plan to leave the fuel filter on the hose between the pump and carb, make sure you safety wire the hose to prevent the weight of the hose pulling the carb fuel inlet loose.

Or you can install a threaded fuel inlet into the carb top.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

I am using the carb below, also, I am going to move the fuel filter to above the trans which seems safer and will catch as much debris as possible.

Also, do all SVDA distributor's had a hidden vacuum port in the back?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V3KNV44
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

None of the SVDA's have a hidden vacuum port on the back of the canister. The single vacuum port is in plain view. A DVDA distributor has a vacuum port hiding on the front of the canister, away from direct viewing.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

OK, no idea what that is yet, but as long as my connections are solid I am happy:)

Thanks Again
Matt
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

Borrowing a pic of a DVDA distributor from glutamodo:

The "DV" stands for dual-vacuum. You can see above two vacuum ports on the canister. Note that one is for vacuum retard while the other is for vacuum advance.
The "SV" on SVDA means single-vacuum. It only has the vacuum advance port.

The "DA" in DVDA and SVDA stand for dual-advance. Both types of distributors have a vacuum advance and a mechanical (centrifugal) advance. The DVDA distributor has an additional vacuum retard system that functions at idle.

Your carb and distributor should be a matching pair. Not all model carbs came with vacuum ports needed for every type of distributor. And as pointed out above, not all vacuum advance ports on the carbs are the same. Your 34Pict-3 carb left side vacuum advance port should work fine with the SVDA distributor you have.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

Be sure to use rubber caps to plug off those unused male fittings. The plastic ones—although they come in pretty colors—crack in no time, and you’ll have a vacuum leak. Not good. Get rubber.

Also, you can make a shepherds crook, using brake line.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
quantumchaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Convertible Carb Hose Connections Question Reply with quote

Thanks all for the help Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: