Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

So I've been dealing with this since I bought a new Morse cable to replace my previous one that seized up on me.
Throttle now slides silky smooth, so smooth in fact, that every time i take off from a stop, it shakes the crap out of me.
Basically, I give it a little throttle to take off from the stop sign, it hits the accel pump causing a little lurch, which then scoots me back in my seat ever so slightly, causing me to lift off the throttle just a little, causing the motor to slow just a little, causing me to then scoot forward a little, causing me to hit the throttle a little, causing the accl pump to shoot more fuel down the carb, causing the buggy to lurch forward a little.....and over and over.
Me and JimmyHoffa tried to put a little bit longer throttle arm on to maybe make the throttle throw longer, hopefully making the jerking less violent. It may have helped a little, but its still brutal to say the least.
I'm thinking of just going back to a stock style set up, or maybe getting rid of the 009...which is maybe causing hesitation in the lower end, exaggerating the issue.
Thoughts?

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
So I've been dealing with this since I bought a new Morse cable to replace my previous one that seized up on me.
Throttle now slides silky smooth, so smooth in fact, that every time i take off from a stop, it shakes the crap out of me.
Basically, I give it a little throttle to take off from the stop sign, it hits the accel pump causing a little lurch, which then scoots me back in my seat ever so slightly, causing me to lift off the throttle just a little, causing the motor to slow just a little, causing me to then scoot forward a little, causing me to hit the throttle a little, causing the accl pump to shoot more fuel down the carb, causing the buggy to lurch forward a little.....and over and over.
Me and JimmyHoffa tried to put a little bit longer throttle arm on to maybe make the throttle throw longer, hopefully making the jerking less violent. It may have helped a little, but its still brutal to say the least.
I'm thinking of just going back to a stock style set up, or maybe getting rid of the 009...which is maybe causing hesitation in the lower end, exaggerating the issue.
Thoughts?

What about adding a little more return spring tension making the pedal a little harder to push. Maybe experiment with different springs until you find what works. I would think that might be the least expensive option
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

I agree with MikeE.

That is a problem I've NEVER had. But I buckle myself into my seat well too. My body can't move if I want to.

Your pedals may be a little far forward, as well.

Maybe slouching in the seat and reaching for the pedal.

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT the 009 is causing trouble. Although, if you have a square float bowl Solex carb, you could have some off-idle hesitation. That's a carburetor problem, not an ignition problem. Square bowl Solex carbs are not real good offroad or high performance carbs in the 1st place. The old Solex 30PICT-1 round bowl carb for 1966 and 67 Bugs and buses is fine if you put a piece of hose on the float bowl vent - or - plug the vent and drill the top of the float bowl to put in an external float bowl vent. You can buy a 30PICT-1 from EMPI with that already done. That style carb has been used on (required on) offroad racing 1600 buggy engines for over 40 years. So you can be confident it will work well. It takes an adapter to fit the dual port manifold.

If you have a Weber Progressive carb, it might be the tuning. there was a link posted on the offroad forums the other day about how to fix problems with those carbs.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

Mike E. wrote:

What about adding a little more return spring tension making the pedal a little harder to push. Maybe experiment with different springs until you find what works. I would think that might be the least expensive option

This.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Mike E. wrote:

This.

I have a pack of springs that I can start experimenting with. I think we're also going to try and extend or change the angle on the throttle arm as well.
I'll be sure to report back with any positive results.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify on setup from previous comments I made. Motor is a 1914cc with a 44IDF clone and 009. 3 rib transaxle.

Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

Ya! Had that problem on my Manx copy when I went to dual Webers. A couple fellows said “ Check the bourdon tube. Sounds like it doesn’t have any curve. Needs curve to work properly. “ well I didn’t have one in the throttle cable. Didn’t think it was needed. Oh yes it is and it needs some curve in it with a good anchor point at each end.

Another one of those little things that the factory did that really does have a reason! I no longer feel and look like a woodpecker at slow speeds!
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I no longer feel and look like a woodpecker at slow speeds!

Ha! That's a great way to describe it!!

If i go back to a stock setup, I would for sure add a bowden tube feature. Currently with the Morse Cable, there is no real way to do such a thing...Its got a hefty bend to it already, and wouldn't matter anyways being that its a push-pull kinda system.

Shocked

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

K.I.S.S. My pedal set has it's own return spring on the accelerator pedal. Used eye bolts to guide the hd cable. The hpmx springs never failed to return to idle. One would think heavier springs would wear something like throttle shaft bushings out faster. I did have solid trans mounts.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

The stock system has a boudon tube. No need to add it as it was there already originally. There is pictures of my fix in my photo gallery but I don’t know how to move them here with just my phone.

I built a little bracket to act as an anchor point for the stock boudon tube to fit on my type 4 engine. With just the throttle cable going from the Beetle pan to the carb linkage and no boudon tube you will undeed get a woodpecker effect. That boudon tube HAS to be in there to take out chassis and engine mount flex or you will get a “tail driving the donkey” effect. That is what is happening. Nothing to do with springs!
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

I am having the same issue. Here is how I set up the Bowden tube. Is there something wrong?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The stock system has a boudon tube. No need to add it as it was there already originally. There is pictures of my fix in my photo gallery but I don’t know how to move them here with just my phone.

I built a little bracket to act as an anchor point for the stock boudon tube to fit on my type 4 engine. With just the throttle cable going from the Beetle pan to the carb linkage and no boudon tube you will undeed get a woodpecker effect. That boudon tube HAS to be in there to take out chassis and engine mount flex or you will get a “tail driving the donkey” effect. That is what is happening. Nothing to do with springs!

He's using a Morse push/pull cable. It is not a stock system.
There is no Bowden tube involved!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

CHenige wrote:
I am having the same issue. Here is how I set up the Bowden tube. Is there something wrong?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would say yes. See the “S” curve in your clutch cable boudon tube? You need a similar one in the throttle cable boudon tube. It looks too straight to me.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

Mike E. wrote:
oprn wrote:

Does it not have an outer sheath? I think it does and that is your boudon tube. The outer sheath cannot be taunt, under tension, it must have some slack or it becomes the controlling element not the inner cable.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Mike E. wrote:
oprn wrote:

Does it not have an outer sheath? I think it does and that is your boudon tube. The outer sheath cannot be taunt, under tension, it must have some slack or it becomes the controlling element when the chassis flexes not the inner cable.

Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Mike E. wrote:
oprn wrote:

Does it not have an outer sheath? I think it does and that is your boudon tube. The outer sheath cannot be taunt, under tension, it must have some slack or it becomes the controlling element not the inner cable.

Either way it is "BOWDEN" tube not "bouden" But I seriously doubt his morse cable is completely straight and taught. I still think return springs on the cable ends are what will solve his problem. I reread his original post and still think that.
He was running a morse cable set up that had a lot of friction inside. Replaced the cable and now his cable is "silky smooth" leading me to believe it moves too easily. The problem does not appear to have come by changing how it is set up just replacing a worn out part. We can over think this for days though and we don't have our hands on the car to really figure it out. All I can do is offer the advice I think will help a fellow enthusiast get his ride working better.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

I worked on this car today, and in the name of concise discussion I can promise the Morse Cable has a nice S-bend in it, so it's serving essentially like a giant 6 foot long Bowden tube, in that no motion of the engine with respect to the frame will cause the throttle to move. It's set up right.

I fixed the Morse cable mount on the engine side so it was very rigid and has no movement (it flexed a little) and he added another big ole' spring on the pedal from my collection of springs. He'll probably report back soon.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

Welp, after I began the drive home, it was apparent that the condition wasn't resolved. I will admit with the modifications (rigid cable mount, and much more rigid throttle pedal spring) it was noticeable and appreciated on my end, but did not resolve my woodpecker issue. I'll continue to mess with it a bit, but I honestly see a stock cable set up in the near future...and then if that doesn't work, it's gonna be time to get some big brain thinking going.

Shocked

Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
Welp, after I began the drive home, it was apparent that the condition wasn't resolved. I will admit with the modifications (rigid cable mount, and much more rigid throttle pedal spring) it was noticeable and appreciated on my end, but did not resolve my woodpecker issue. I'll continue to mess with it a bit, but I honestly see a stock cable set up in the near future...and then if that doesn't work, it's gonna be time to get some big brain thinking going.

Sorry it didn't help. I hope you find the resolution to your problem with a simple fix.
You said this only started after replacing the broken Morse cable. Was anything else changed? Did it do anything like this with the old cable?
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

It's all part of the fun, Mike E. If I wasn't working on this problem, there's always another one down the line of more/less significance. Plus it's by no means a daily driver, so problems here and there keep me engaged in the project.
Anyway, yeah, the only thing that was changed was the cable. I bought what I feel is a like-for-like part, with the only difference being that the new one actually moves. The old one finally gave in and locked up while I was on the first little cruse of the year (less than 5 miles). It was close to home so I was able to move it to half throttle by hand back at the carb and just feathered the clutch home.
With that said, it's likely the resistance in the previous cable was acting more as a functional bowden tube than the current one, preventing that tiny fluctuations cause by human use.

Shocked

Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Cable giving me the herky jerky Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
It's all part of the fun, Mike E. If I wasn't working on this problem, there's always another one down the line of more/less significance. Plus it's by no means a daily driver, so problems here and there keep me engaged in the project.
Anyway, yeah, the only thing that was changed was the cable. I bought what I feel is a like-for-like part, with the only difference being that the new one actually moves. The old one finally gave in and locked up while I was on the first little cruse of the year (less than 5 miles). It was close to home so I was able to move it to half throttle by hand back at the carb and just feathered the clutch home.
With that said, it's likely the resistance in the previous cable was acting more as a functional bowden tube than the current one, preventing that tiny fluctuations cause by human use.

Do you have the ability to change the pivot points where the cable attaches to either the pedal or the carb (or both)? If you make the arm longer on the carb end and shorter at the pedal end you will reduce the leverage on the system and slow the cable movement. Meaning it will take more throttle pedal movement to make the throttle blades open. That in turn will make it less susceptible (and reactive) to small pedal movements. You must make sure you are still able to attain full open and full closed throttle after changing those pivot points though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: