Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Super brakes - adjuster nut
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

polypetalous wrote:
I polished everything... even chucked a bit of scotchbrite in a drill and did the backing plate holes where the star adjuster go.

Made it so everything turned smooth and easy even without grease/antiseize.

Ben

Just finished up for the day but I did find some perfect sized washers...4 or 5 seemed to have worked and prevents the nut from digging itself in too far. I also need to go get a proper adjustment tool, the control arms and the sway bar on a Super make it really difficult to use a screwdriver. I have officially decided I do not like doing brakes Laughing
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

I polished everything... even chucked a bit of scotchbrite in a drill and did the backing plate holes where the star adjuster go.

Made it so everything turned smooth and easy even without grease/antiseize.

Ben
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've used steel wool to clean these in the past. Then some grease.

thanks Cusser. I tried grease...the adjuster nut still just wants to work itself deeper into the hole and the grease doesn't help. Once it gets to a certain point, it's impossible to turn. I'm going to see if I can find something to stuff in there to prevent the adjuster nut from going too deep.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

I've used steel wool to clean these in the past. Then some grease.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

I think I see what's happening. On one of them, when I start to turn to adjust, it starts working itself into the backing plate holder(?) thing, essentially tightening itself somehow to the point that I can't turn it anymore. I'm going to try to stuff it with grease but I doubt that will work.
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

OK, looks like I'm still having problems. I got new adjuster nuts in on the right side front but I still can't get these adjusted. I can move the nut about a 1/4 or 1/2 turn and then it will not budge anymore. It's clearly not enough as I have zero resistance and it's obvious the shoes are NOT touching the drum at all. Why won't the adjusters move anymore?
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

polypetalous wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
I am taking a break from working on this Super's autostick to give some badly needed attention to the brakes. I need to adjust the brakes but I had problems moving the adjuster nut...must be seized. I have 4 new adjuster nuts so I decided I'd just replace the ones on the front brakes. Got the drums off but I cannot get the old adjuster nuts off...they will not budge at all. I believe they are just held in by friction? What is a good way to get these out without buying some weird special tool?

Besides penetrating oil, heat and hard pulling...
My trick was that I have a slide hammer that has a threaded end that just so happens to be the same thread type as the adjustment screw... just threaded it in and kept threading till it bottomed out and pushed the Star Adjuster out... (just used the threading power, didnt need to actually pull on the slide hammer)

So.. if you had a M10-1.5 (I THINK thats the adjuster screw thread size/type) long-ish bolt, you could just thread it into the star adjuster and push it out... easy-peasy.

1st one I pulled out by brute force and did a real number on the star adjuster, the threading trick (above) pulled the other three out without any damage. Cleaned em up and chased the threads and good as new.
Be sure to anti-seize/lube the new ones goin in, you want (need) those things to turn like butter.

Good Luck

Ben

Oh man, that was easy. Embarrassed I didn't think of that Laughing

Problem solved, thanks for your help!
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

polypetalous wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
I am taking a break from working on this Super's autostick to give some badly needed attention to the brakes. I need to adjust the brakes but I had problems moving the adjuster nut...must be seized. I have 4 new adjuster nuts so I decided I'd just replace the ones on the front brakes. Got the drums off but I cannot get the old adjuster nuts off...they will not budge at all. I believe they are just held in by friction? What is a good way to get these out without buying some weird special tool?

My trick was that I have a slide hammer that has a threaded end that just so happens to be the same thread type as the adjustment screw... just threaded it in and kept threading till it bottomed out and pushed the Star Adjuster out... (just used the threading power, didnt need to actually pull on the slide hammer)

So.. if you had a M10-1.5 (I THINK thats the adjuster screw thread size/type) long-ish bolt, you could just thread it into the star adjuster and push it out... easy-peasy.

1st one I pulled out by brute force and did a real number on the star adjuster, the threading trick (above) pulled the other three out without any damage. Cleaned em up and chased the threads and good as new.
Be sure to anti-seize/lube the new ones goin in, you want (need) those things to turn like butter.

Good Luck

Ben

thanks, I'll see what bolts I have around here.
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:

Good Luck

Ben
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: '74 Super brakes - adjuster nut Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: