Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Tank Balance Tube - replace with fuel line?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brundl3fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank Balance Tube - replace with fuel line? Reply with quote

Hi, this might be a strange topic but I bought a fuel tank reseal kit from GoWesty after my van started dumping gas on filll up. Long story short I put it in, it did not go well.

Among other things I think the balance tube might not have been routed back in exactly like the pervious one (not that they give you instructions at all for the replacement kits). I think that the angle of the rigid balance tube ripped the grommet(s). Since then I've tried to replace grommets. Sadly the grommets pushed into the tank rather than the barbs going into the grommets as they should have, bad angle I guess.

My question is I've about had it with that rigid tube, I want to cut that part off and simply run appropriate diameter flexible tube so that these issues all go away (after I drop the damned tank again and fish out my grommets). IS there any good reason that I should NOT do this? I cannot think of anything myself but am open to suggestions from those with more experience.

I wish I understood how/why this tube is at the wrong angle, etc etc but I do not know and there were no instructions and really its too late, I'm ready to cut the rigid hose off the barbs and put them in with fuel line.

Thanks for input!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Balance Tube - replace with fuel line? Reply with quote

That's totally fine. It's actually what other sellers do with their kit. I've used this one and recommend it:
https://www.vancafe.com/KT-2980103-p/kt-2980103.htm

Ask them if they sell the aluminum fittings individually.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Balance Tube - replace with fuel line? Reply with quote

I used to HATE that crossover pipe!

I even modified my tank with brass fittings to eliminate it.

On my 90 I took a deep breath and said "this cannot be that hard" and went at it with a renewed attitude....... popped right in!

Now getting the vapor recovery tanks back in their slots? That's another story of frustration! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Balance Tube - replace with fuel line? Reply with quote

the only reason not to use a standard fuel hose is the quality of the hoses nowadays.
It can perish in a few years and you will have to do it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brundl3fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Balance Tube - replace with fuel line? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah you'd think that tube wouldnt be that bad but the angle it installs (at least how I've done it) creates issues... ripped grommets, grommets popping in the tank.

I like the looks of that kit on Vancafe, I wish I'd seen it an known the issues prior to going at this the first time. I'd have looked for that one.

I've ordered some new grommets and ear clamps already so I'll try to fix it that way, just need to find the diameter of the barbs or that rigid tube to get appropriate fuel line.

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: