Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Helga's Highway Journey
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

I'll try to post some pics of our journey from N. Alabama to Sedona, AZ. I started a YouTube channel where we'll try to upload some videos of our trip. The first video is a walkaround of our bus. Please subscribe so I don't have to go back to work!

https://youtu.be/cQ05bH6A6Rc
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Please post a general route so Sambanista's can chime in with.....

"Hey - you are coming right by my house. If you need coffee, or a repair, or.........."

I doubt you will be coming past my house though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Great idea. Plan is to travel from N. Alabama through Memphis to Oklahoma City, where we'll pick up I-40 all the way to Flagstaff. The route home is TBD.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

What a great channel name!!! 🍻

Bus looks great! But, if you’re gonna become a #vanlife YouTube influencer you’re gonna have to spice it up. First you need to drum up the accent a bit, take your shirt off, add some shots of chicks in bikinis, shots of you playing a ukulele, you gotta become vegan and show off all your fruits and vegetables, definitely need to add a blender so you can film yourself making smoothies and you need some Kale chips. Lots of kale chips.

Safe travels,
Rich P
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Hahaha. Oh boy, you don't know what you're asking!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Fantastic! Rich is probably right about the kale and bikinis but I really enjoyed it and look forward to more.
This build and thread as been one of my favorites this year. Good luck on the trip! Very Happy Cool
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Subscribed to (my Youtube i/d is Gusbus1973Tintop)

The bus looks lovely, I hope you post some great adventures!

All the best Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Once you reach Littlerock AR. I suggest you take State Route 10 west to Ft. Smith. It parallels I-40, and offers a high speed highway without the drama and climbs on the interstate. In OK the highway becomes State Route 11.

Travel safe and be blessed.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Nice! Also subscribed (shecallsmehobbit)
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
Once you reach Littlerock AR. I suggest you take State Route 10 west to Ft. Smith. It parallels I-40, and offers a high speed highway without the drama and climbs on the interstate. In OK the highway becomes State Route 11.

Travel safe and be blessed.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Moved for relevancy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Trip is going pretty good, but I’ve developed a significant oil leak in the upper half of the engine. I believe it’s the front seal. I’m going to keep adding oil until we get to Sedona, and then look for a shop to repair. Any recommendations are welcome.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

We’ve discussed this via text, but my money is on the pulley. I bet you’re spraying oil past it, that’s why it’s all over the right side of the engine. Keep the engine as clean as you can, check the oil every 100 miles. You only have 2.5 quarts, don’t rock running it too low. Also, you should plug that hole in the tin and cap that port on the fan shroud.

We gotta get the moderators to move this thread back to the bay window forum. You’re not gonna get any exposure in this forum and very few people are gonna chime in.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
We’ve discussed this via text, but my money is on the pulley. I bet you’re spraying oil past it, that’s why it’s all over the right side of the engine. Keep the engine as clean as you can, check the oil every 100 miles. You only have 2.5 quarts, don’t rock running it too low. Also, you should plug that hole in the tin and cap that port on the fan shroud.

We gotta get the moderators to move this thread back to the bay window forum. You’re not gonna get any exposure in this forum and very few people are gonna chime in.

If it is indeed pushing past the pulley, you probably need better crankcase venting. Would imagine on those long stretches of highway and sustained rpms, pressure is building in the case and needs to go somewhere. That one hose going to your passenger carb is not enough venting.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

I ran into a random VW dude and we chatted about the issue. He called his Buddy and we decided to back the timing from 32-28, and remove the nipple from the draft tube. I ran another 50 miles, and when I stopped I noticed it’s puked again. Perhaps I need a new pulley?

Not sure why moderator moved this, but the folks in Bay Window have been very helpful and I’m afraid they aren’t going to see this.

Last edited by Mberglo on Sun May 30, 2021 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
richparker wrote:

If it is indeed pushing past the pulley, you probably need better crankcase venting. Would imagine on those long stretches of highway and sustained rpms, pressure is building in the case and needs to go somewhere. That one hose going to your passenger carb is not enough venting.

Think I should get a splitter and feed the other carb, or maybe just vent to the atmosphere?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

How hot is the engine getting? What speed are you cruising at/are you pushing it? How is your crankshaft endplay? Have you checked to see if your case vent is possibly blocked?

If you haven't previously had an issue with blowing oil out around the crank pulley, it's not likely that the pulley hub has gotten smaller or the case opening larger. As noted, oil pushing past the pulley is typically due to insufficient case venting for the amount of blowby and windage present. Windage is caused by things moving around in the case -- slow down your engine revs and windage reduces. Blowby is the pressure in the combustion chambers getting past the rings -- all engines have blowby to some extent, but it's worse if the engine is worn or the cylinders are out of round due to being overheated.

*edit to add*
You don't want to just vent the case to the atmosphere, it needs to have vacuum of some sort to help pull the vapours out otherwise it'll still tend to vent around the crank pulley. Early engines with just a draft tube relied on the passing slipstream while driving to create a pressure drop in the tube, while later engines connect the vent to the air cleaner.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
How hot is the engine getting? What speed are you cruising at/are you pushing it? How is your crankshaft endplay? Have you checked to see if your case vent is possibly blocked?

If you haven't previously had an issue with blowing oil out around the crank pulley, it's not likely that the pulley hub has gotten smaller or the case opening larger. As noted, oil pushing past the pulley is typically due to insufficient case venting for the amount of blowby and windage present. Windage is caused by things moving around in the case -- slow down your engine revs and windage reduces. Blowby is the pressure in the combustion chambers getting past the rings -- all engines have blowby to some extent, but it's worse if the engine is worn or the cylinders are out of round due to being overheated.

*edit to add*
You don't want to just vent the case to the atmosphere, it needs to have vacuum of some sort to help pull the vapours out otherwise it'll still tend to vent around the crank pulley. Early engines with just a draft tube relied on the passing slipstream while driving to create a pressure drop in the tube, while later engines connect the vent to the air cleaner.

This engine is a recent build. I believe under 500 miles on it when he got
On the road. I could be wrong on the millage, but it’s super new.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Sorry I haven’t posted updates regularly, but all is going well. We arrived in Sedona with no major problems. The oil leak has stopped, and I’m assuming the timing adjustment from 32-28 was the fix. No more issues with oil consumption. We’re driving 60-65 on the freeways and letting it slow down uphills rather than flooring it. We’re getting a consistent 17mpg. I’m still having some backfire on deceleration, but nothing that I’m going to worry about.

We’ve seen a bunch of cool stuff along the way. I’ll upload some photos here.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Helga's Highway Journey Reply with quote

Old gas station just east of Amarillo.

We stayed at Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo and spray painted the cars in the morning.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: