Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Counterweight Crank
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DANP85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: 36hp Counterweight Crank Reply with quote

I have a stock stroke original VW crank with welded on counterweights and lightened flywheel from Jose at DPR stored away for a future project. Knowing stock 36hp cranks can break when revved, what I want to know is how strong are they when they’re beefed up like my particular one. How far can they be pushed? Many thanks in advance!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Counterweight Crank Reply with quote

DANP85 wrote:
I have a stock stroke original VW crank with welded on counterweights and lightened flywheel from Jose at DPR stored away for a future project. Knowing stock 36hp cranks can break when revved, what I want to know is how strong are they when they’re beefed up like my particular one. How far can they be pushed? Many thanks in advance!

Not all 36hp cranks will brake if dpr had its hands on it it should be fine he inspects his cranks / job ....only cranks that brake are do to owners not changing oil or little oil and over revving ...another thing is that the early kdf /early 25hp cranks were cast not forged those are the ones that you should be aware of breakage.... and over the years when engines get stripped and piles of parts start and than the seller sells them as 36hp cranks mixes parts and than the new owner adds it to his engine and brakes and than the stories start about 36hp cranks brake. im not saying a 36hp cant brake everything can brake ...but you should be fine if you still fill iffy buy a 69mm crank and send me your crank for free lol jk 🤪
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Counterweight Crank Reply with quote

I have had DPR make me the same crankshaft. After asking some people [with more 36hp experience than me] , it was recommended that the next improvements be upgrading the stock pod bolts and oil system. I have a set of balanced stock rods with ARP bolts, and have fitted a 26mm pump with grooved main bearings. But, I am still at the mock up/ short block stage, so no real world experience to share.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Counterweight Crank Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I have had DPR make me the same crankshaft. After asking some people [with more 36hp experience than me] , it was recommended that the next improvements be upgrading the stock pod bolts and oil system. I have a set of balanced stock rods with ARP bolts, and have fitted a 26mm pump with grooved main bearings. But, I am still at the mock up/ short block stage, so no real world experience to share.

Do you have or can you share the arp part # for the bolts so I can or others order them as well if they they wish ..thanks
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Counterweight Crank Reply with quote

I'll have to look as I no longer have the packaging, but the part number was originally found here on Samba. There is a ton of info to be searched, but sometimes you do have to dig for it
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Counterweight Crank Reply with quote

I seem to recall it being the same bolt as the 40hp Formula V bolts...
https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-detail.php?RecordID=100

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Counterweight Crank Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
I seem to recall it being the same bolt as the 40hp Formula V bolts...
https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-detail.php?RecordID=100

eQ

Yes!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Counterweight Crank Reply with quote

DANP85 wrote:

As for how much the crank will handle is hard to say. I have a couple of 83,5 x 76 engines on the road with respectively 95 and 105 hp. Both cranks are with full circle reinforcements and have shown no signs of strees after 6 & 4 years of spirited street use.
Soon I will begin on a 78 x 83,5 but that engine will get motorcycle rods in order to get enough room for a decent lift cam. That engine will also be based on a DPR full circle crank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: