Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1500S Notch Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

So here goes. Was asked for Pics in a prior post. But was out of town for couple of weeks. This is my 1964 1500S Notch (Gretchen). Thus far the drive train is looking good. Have been doing all the same things I did when I got a barn find Single Cab and 59 Bug years ago.
Am Showing her blemishes in my gallery submission. These will be my biggest headache.
So have a question, Passenger Floor pan sourcing. Is it better/easier to mod a Type 1 floor pan replacement or is there a good source for a replacement. I know I have to replace Heater Channel and Rocker support as well. The battery was on that side and looks to have leaked/cracked causing the major corrosion. The Front skirt where the spare sits is the other big issue. I think I will rebuild it as sourcing a Type 3 front skirt is not as easy.
I now will be joining the 1500 club as Gretchen (Her name) is definitely a member.
This will be my project for the next few years.
PS: Have the Front bumper as well as the original 1964 Tags when she was imported. And original manual/service Manual.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

For the floor pans if you don't need to replace the whole section, ISP west offers half length. If you need to replace the entire side, then Gerson offers type 3 specific pans.

For heater channels and the front clip, ISP West and Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) are good sources, I had a front clip sent via Greyhound for a reasonable cost.

The rocker doesn't look too bad in the pics and maybe can be saved with patching as getting early or notch specific channels is difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
For the floor pans if you don't need to replace the whole section, ISP west offers half length. If you need to replace the entire side, then Gerson offers type 3 specific pans.

For heater channels and the front clip, ISP West and Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) are good sources, I had a front clip sent via Greyhound for a reasonable cost.

Thanks for this. Never knew about Gerson. I knew I needed full length pan. Placed order today. On to the Heater channel. I am likely a vendor's delight.

Finally getting started on it and am excited.

The rust is in the places I expected, and not in the places I dreaded. Happy that the driver side is solid. Only real surprise, but not, is the jack points are MIA. No idea why on driver side, but it was removed at some point. Add that to my grocery list.
I have the priority list of:
1. Engine, 2. Brakes, 3. Steering/Suspension, 4. Right Pan, 5. Front clip. Have or ordered most of the needed parts for the first four. Once I am done with those, it will be minimally roadworthy. and to the "Pros" to do things I cannot.
The brake lines have the usual age rot from just sitting. Brake restoration were part of my first order. Considered disc conversion, but that may be an upgrade down the road. And this weekend, I start overhauling the dual carbs, Dissy, and Fuel pump/gas tank. I can tell these are very similar to a 28 or 30 series PICT that I used to overhaul for fun.
I plan to document progress like others are doing. Both to keep track and take suggestions.
Thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Cool car!
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
The Front skirt where the spare sits is the other big issue. I think I will rebuild it as sourcing a Type 3 front skirt is not as easy.

Looks like a decent starting point for a project.

Depending on how good is good enough for you, you can punch out the dents from the inside using the big end of a wooden baseball bat. I don't remember who suggested it first, but I've been able to get mine to look pretty decent with the help of a Hillerich & Bradsby Mickey Mantle signature model. I also let my cars show their age, so a less-than-perfect result is OK, in my book.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
Ossipon wrote:
The Front skirt where the spare sits is the other big issue. I think I will rebuild it as sourcing a Type 3 front skirt is not as easy.

Looks like a decent starting point for a project.

Depending on how good is good enough for you, you can punch out the dents from the inside using the big end of a wooden baseball bat. I don't remember who suggested it first...

Agreed. Should make for a fairly easy project.
I know I showed using a baseball bat when I was working on Krunchy. That got all sorts of comments from people on here about using expensive tools to do a job. Wink A lot of the time it's really a matter of figuring out how something happened, and reversing it.
The pans will be your biggest repair. I think I've got pics of it in my threads with the body still on, if not it can be done that way just so you know. Yes quite a few here will pull the body to do pan halves. Good luck with it, and post pics, as we like pics. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:

Depending on how good is good enough for you, you can punch out the dents from the inside using the big end of a wooden baseball bat. I don't remember who suggested it first, but I've been able to get mine to look pretty decent with the help of a Hillerich & Bradsby Mickey Mantle signature model. I also let my cars show their age, so a less-than-perfect result is OK, in my book.

Interesting, What I have is a handmade spoon from my Father dating back to the 50s. It is a bit of a 1940s Dodge bumper attached to an old, and I mean old softball bat end. It is amazing light taps with it or with a hammer on the small end. I was able to round my single cab's dented rear corners and pop the deck dimples. I do like the bat option.
Terrible habit, I have named all my VWs, the single cab was called Pete. and so on. The Notch has been christened Gretchen.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Don't bother looking for good used notch metal as they won't sell it.
Use square/fasty metal or have a Hot Rod Shop fab/weld new replacement sections.
Note the notch heater channels are sloped on the inside & your doors have the 3 bolt hinges that are rare!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Use square/fasty metal or have a Hot Rod Shop fab/weld new replacement sections.
Note the notch heater channels are sloped on the inside & your doors have the 3 bolt hinges that are rare!

I have to agree with Mike on the above statement. As for rockers, you'll need 65 and earlier used parts, or have to have them fabricated. The nose skin can come from Fasty's or Squares, as that area is shared by the different body styles.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I have to agree with Mike on the above statement. As for rockers, you'll need 65 and earlier used parts, or have to have them fabricated. The nose skin can come from Fasty's or Squares, as that area is shared by the different body styles.

Thanks for this. I figured I would have to go to a square or fasty for the front apron. I did fab work on the single cab I owned, but it was relatively easy as the only compound curves were in the corners. I tried body putty and fiberglass (and it looked it) on a 68 Ghia I briefly had. A ghia is nothing but compound curves.

I know I have to replace or rebuild the driver F fender. It has the usual bad spot around the headlight, turn signal and back near the door. It is a second tier issue compared to the Rt Floor pan and the apron.
The issue for a notch heater channel was not known either. I had already planned for a ISP West Used Fasty heater channel. I will have to rethink about options now.

Thanks again
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Super cool you have a Spanish delivery car. I collect Spanish language literature and materials. I've yet to find a Spanish manual. Did yours come with one in Spanish?

I have the introduction of the VW 1500. and both Vol 1 & 2 of the repair manual that covers up to '66.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Super cool you have a Spanish delivery car. I collect Spanish language literature and materials. I've yet to find a Spanish manual. Did yours come with one in Spanish?

I have the introduction of the VW 1500. and both Vol 1 & 2 of the repair manual that covers up to '66.

Unfortunately for you, or maybe fortunately for me, the owner manual and service book provided are the International English version. If you look in my gallery, I have posted the service chits. These do have the Madrid and other Spanish dealer stamps. Also the initial inspection is written in Spanish/Europe numbering style. The 1s always look like 7s to me at first.
Sorry
Water
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Oh! No worries, Good Luck with your build! I own a '65 sunroof Varaint that I restored using mostly NOS parts. Everything is out there.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

So, after having it two weeks, I now know the following.
1. Engine was replaced in 1967 with a 1600 reconditioned case. My bet it is a 1600, but will not know until I get to the engine.
2. Rust is both worse and better as I deep dive inspect it. These are the problem areas and require replacement.
a. Heater Channels Left and Right. Thought originally only passenger, but on further inspection, the driver needs it as well. I should not be surprised. Will be ordering real soon now
b. Passenger Full Floor pan. This was ordered and has arrived. Will start on it once the right heater channel has arrived.
c. Driver front half floor pan. The area affected by the front of the heater channel has a weak area which would just be easier to replace.
d. Driver Front Fender: Rust out by Headlight and turn signal too much to allow patching.
e. Passenger side Door under aluminum cover. If I am going to do the others, this might as well be replaced as well.
3. Patch/Butt Weld or Fiberglass required:
a. Front Skirt: The initial review indicates I can butt weld and/or fiberglass the problematic areas.
b. Back compartment wall Driver side. Small hole in back wall that I think I can easily butt weld.
c. Passenger wall below glove compartment. Leak from bad welt and antenna seal.
d. Passenger fender: May need to be replaced, but will first attempt rebuild.
e. Door Skins. Rust pimpling down near the bottom, but not horrible.
4. Brakes: Full rebuild, two lines identified as rusted through. So am currently rebuilding cylinders. Deciding whether to update to dual over single MC. Will depend upon pitting of existing MC.
5. Usual Suspension needs, Ball Joints, Tie Rods, Damper, Stops, Shocks...
6. Engine: Currently the great unknown. Oil was still oil and not sludge when drained. Definitely replacing Exhaust.
7. Fuel: Boiling the tank and overhauling the dual solex 32s, Fuel line blows clear, but will likely need cleaning. Fuel pump will be rebuilt.
8. Electricals: Thus far, all the wiring seems sound with no shorts detected. Will be replacing filament bulbs with 6V LED when the time comes.
I looked at this as a two year project and I think I will be right. Will be taking before and after pics on each segment and will post.
9. Other: Re-rubber, welt and seal with new rubber components. Plus the unknown
My first step will be tackling the passenger pan. It is never good when you can see the passenger tire from the driver seat. What I see does not scare me, but it will be work and lots of fabrication/weld.

Enjoy

Water
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

have you pulled the fenders off yet?
there can be so interesting rust areas under the fenders

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

You might want to post up some pics, so we can help you with the terminality of some of the bits you need (an example of this is the metal under the aluminum sill plate, that's the inner and outer rocker assembly).Then we can help you make a list of what you need, and then see IF Joel or ISP can help you out. Some of the metal might be easier if it was rust free used, versus trying to shape it. Some parts you might need have multiple indents or other shapes that might be seen at a show (not saying you have to do a Steve).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
have you pulled the fenders off yet?
there can be so interesting rust areas under the fenders

Fronts yes, backs no. What got me started removing the fronts was the interior wall by where the antenna seal had leaked.
What was not a joy was that the OO or PO had used what appears to be clear silicone caulk instead of replacing the R welt. That added to the rust point.
I did a thorough look-see of the rear fender interior as well as the back sub-frame prior to purchase. So I felt comfy there.
But, I should not bask in comfort on the rears.
Thanks
Water
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

So, here is where I am at 1 month in and just really getting started. Unlike the West and NorthWest US, here in Kansas City it has been wet and muggy. I have been primarily just ordering body parts and evaluating what I will have to fabricate.
While I would like to do a Frame off restore, I do not have means or space to accommodate. Sooo, I will be doing my best to do a functional restoration without "restroying" anything
Have cleared the interior of carpet, rubber, Seats, etc.
+ Pans: Gerson Pans ordered and received. Passenger side cut out. Had hoped to follow in part 65NSqBack instructions, but face an issue on what he did in the front. The front right curve which he used to anchor is gone and eaten. As identified, the rust on that side is from a leaked battery which was not properly neutralized. Will make due. It also at at the inside fender wall at the bottom. Will likely be buying a used inside fender to cut and place that section. Will attack the Driver
+ Heater Channels ordered and received. Will install as part of Pan replacement
+ Front Fenders removed and attempting to salvage the Sea Blue beading.
+ Front Apron: Ordered and waiting on an early Apron from Joel M. Shipping by Greyhound is a joy.
+ Front L Fender: Same with above with Joel.
+ Front R Fender: Bondo removed and will be butt welding the prior patched area
+ Am getting ready to remove the gas tank this week. The fourth pic below shows the black porridge leaking from the tank. I will be taking it to be boiled and tested.
Until my next post. By then, I hope have pan and sheet metal pieces fitted and ready to weld. While I am inbetween will be doing brakes and lines.

Water
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

One small discovery which I had not paid much attention to until I was stripping the interior. The radio is not the usual sapphire. It is a Blaupunkt Essen. Similar to the Blaupunkt Frankfurt. It is LW/SW/FM (88-104). I assume this model was installed since the car came from Spain and not Germany or France. Does anyone have the Essen model in their car? Other than a small crack on the glass face, it is OK. I doubt I can source that, but have fixed/mated similar to minimize the crack previously, so am not concerned.
If it would stop raining in the Midwest, I would start the simple butt weld needs. I only weld when it is dry. And it certainly is not dry here right now.

Water
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1500S Notch Project Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
So, here is where I am at 1 month in and just really getting started. Unlike the West and NorthWest US, here in Kansas City it has been wet and muggy. I have been primarily just ordering body parts and evaluating what I will have to fabricate.
While I would like to do a Frame off restore, I do not have means or space to accommodate. Sooo, I will be doing my best to do a functional restoration without "restroying" anything
Have cleared the interior of carpet, rubber, Seats, etc.
+ Pans: Gerson Pans ordered and received. Passenger side cut out. Had hoped to follow in part 65NSqBack instructions, but face an issue on what he did in the front. The front right curve which he used to anchor is gone and eaten. As identified, the rust on that side is from a leaked battery which was not properly neutralized. Will make due. It also at at the inside fender wall at the bottom. Will likely be buying a used inside fender to cut and place that section. Will attack the Driver
+ Heater Channels ordered and received. Will install as part of Pan replacement
+ Front Fenders removed and attempting to salvage the Sea Blue beading.
+ Front Apron: Ordered and waiting on an early Apron from Joel M. Shipping by Greyhound is a joy.
+ Front L Fender: Same with above with Joel.
+ Front R Fender: Bondo removed and will be butt welding the prior patched area
+ Am getting ready to remove the gas tank this week. The fourth pic below shows the black porridge leaking from the tank. I will be taking it to be boiled and tested.
Until my next post. By then, I hope have pan and sheet metal pieces fitted and ready to weld. While I am inbetween will be doing brakes and lines.

You might really want to look thru my "Krunchy" build thread in my signature. It might be a 71 Notch, but it had a lot of the same rust your car has. It needed pan halfs, basically an entire front clip, rockers on both sides (inners and outers), repairs to the rear wheel well arches, along with bumper mounts (front and rear), a rear apron, and a host of other things (starting to read like a grocery list). I've mentioned it before, but it was the most rustiest car I've ever done, and kind of prepped me for doing my 64 T-34 Ghia. And if it hadn't been for the "Superior" rust proofing, I doubt there would have been that much car left to rebuild.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: