Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure how this happened. None of my searches came up with a hole that big. Can I get away with welding a plate on only one side? What diameter is the hole supposed to be? How important is hole location?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

Just went through this with an owners van. I have some copper plates with magnets. They came from Eastwood. I stuck it over the hole and mig welded the hole back up. I used a metal burr and grinding disk to reshape it. Came out nice. Pictures are on my phone. The thickness is specific to the replacement bushings.
randolph57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

I ave recently rebuilt both mounts on my westy which had suffered corrosion to the 3 plates that make up the mount oh passenger side and ovality to drivers side mount caused by the sawing action of the radius rod due to acceleration/braking forces.

if you are adept at fabrication and welding the job is ok to do if you dont mind lying on you back but i found a air driven cut off tool and die grinder with rotary burr invaluable .
you will need some 3mm plate steel and i cut inner and outer plates away first to deal with the 'sandwich filler' first then made a larger plate for the outer layers-all spot welded to each other and then finally welded around edges on the rear plate to stop corrosion getting behind the new plate layers.
I had a new OEM Mount to study and get hole position from so i had a advantage compared to you.

[/img]

Last edited by randolph57 on Fri May 28, 2021 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
randolph57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

on the drivers side you can see the ovality but instead of just welding /grinding back to a hole i did same repair as corrosion had got under the folded plates again.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

Nice repairs. How many hours total? Looks like about 4 a side.
randolph57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

so 2 months later and no issues Very Happy Tracking wheel alignment all good and seeing as i replaced all track rod ends and wishbone bushes with powerflex bushes it rides beautifully and no more squeaking Shocked Very Happy
randolph57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

i did repairs over a week i had off with a slow approach on the first repair and i suppose a day in total for the second side (i like english tea Very Happy )

No rush for me as the weather was crap and i had plenty of weld to remove before next plate was welded and zinc based spray paint had cured.

Hole diameter for info is 35mm and hard work for all 3 plates in one go-a bimetal hole saw is a must (took 2 as milwaukee one gave up the ghost after first hole)

Last edited by randolph57 on Fri May 28, 2021 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

The top of the original hole should get you close to the stock location. If you do go forward with cutting and welding in a new plate, you can make a template from a folder and mark the top of the hole. Then use your template to transfer the hole to your welded in repair.

I’m going to guess, you are replacing bushings and found this and aren’t really equipped for a welded repair? If not, probably best to put it back together and take it to a shop that can do this type of repair. Since it locates the front suspension, it needs to be a solid repair. No dribble welds.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

i feel so lucky right now, the driver's side on mine was slightly oval shaped. i removed the radius rods first when doing my suspension overhaul just in case i needed to go get them welded back up.

rust never sleeps

BiWerks Design, LLC
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

randolph57 wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

i did repairs over a week i had off with a slow approach on the first repair and i suppose a day in total for the second side (i like english tea Very Happy )

No rush for me as the weather was crap and i had plenty of weld to remove before next plate was welded and zinc based spray paint had cured.

Hole diameter for info is 35mm and hard work for all 3 plates in one go-a bimetal hole saw is a must (took 2 as milwaukee one gave up the ghost after first hole)

It’s one of those jobs if you do it right it looks like you did nothing. I figured there was some time involved. Well executed.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/body/body-an...-left.html
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

Thanks for that link mellow. Didn't know that was a possibility. But I figure that it's time to up my welding game and will spend the weekend practicing before attempting the repair. Thanks for the help guys!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

The brickwerk panel might be overkill when you add shipping. A member above showed how to repair it with some scrap plate. I’d go that route.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

damage wrote:
... But I figure that it's time to up my welding game and will spend the weekend practicing before attempting the repair.

Wrong or right, I did that repair on my '81 with less MIG welding experience than I have now, which really isn't much. Wink

AFAIK, repair is still holding. What I did. Caveat: this is beginner fabrication type work so take it with a grain of salt:

https://sites.google.com/site/tubaneil2/radiusarmholerepair

The plate type repair I did wasn't ideal but at the time, my thought was that by the time I compressed all the parts, there would be little if any gap remaining between each new rubber bushing.

This is a distant memory but IIRC, the metal at subframe is made up of layers in certain areas. i.e. one might get decent penetration into first layer with just a 110VAC MIG.

There might be pics in gallery of an undamaged radius rod hole in the gallery here. Can't find image of that from my '88 Westy.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Look at this worn, egged, oversized Radius Rod hole Reply with quote

Tackling some oval radius rod holes. Passenger side worse than Driver side. Planning to weld in some metal. Had a question about how the Powerflex metal cup should sit for sizing my hole. Should it be fairly snug in there?

Thanks!

-Will

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: