Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just picked up this 65
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

So I decided to buy another VW after I sold my last one almost 10 years ago. The main thing that I wanted was something that did not need a lot of sheet metal work. I pulled all the glass out of it and the window channels are very solid. So far the heater channels seem solid but I will not totally know until I unbolt both pans (The bolts are soaking in some penetrating oil now). I did find a spot of rot on the inner quarter behind the B pillar that will need to be addressed and, as you can see, the rear luggage area was bad. I cut a spot out where it was the worst. I will probably try and find a donor piece and hopefully find someone who can weld in a new panel for me (I only have a cheap flux Harbor Freight MIG welder and my skills are not great). Someone did cut the bottom of the rear fenders off and the lower part of the apron. I am trying to decide if I should pull the body at this point or not? I think it would probably be the easiest way to go. Mechanically I can do almost everything that I need to. Rust repair is going to be new for me, but it is a good time to learn. I thought I would post and update from time to time and any good advise is welcome.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

I had a little time tonight and pulled off the left rear fender. All went good but did spin out a mounting nut in the body. Looks pretty solid. I was worried about the body mount, but it appears to be good and solid. I did notice there is a cut or crack in the wheel well. I will hammer back into shape and weld close after sanding down the area.

Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Neat. I love stories like this. Good luck and post pics along the way. Here’s a picture of my Ruby Red ‘66 to use as motivation. 😉 😆

Mister.64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Nice. is it numbers matching? You're starting out in really good shape, and yes if you have the room in your shop, i highly suggest you pull the body. the pans are easier to do, you can see if there is any rot on the underside of the channels, the metal work is easier to get to on the apron and it'll be easier to address that crack. weld it from both sides.

HF mig flux is okay, just be ready to grind and make sure all your metal is clean. small tacks and use a heat sink wherever you can welding on thin metal. looking forward to seeing the project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

nice find! welcome to the 65 club, for some reason there seems to be ALOT of 65's popping up in the forums lately.

since you repairing the luggage tray anyways, you may as well add in a trap door/access panel for the starter and clutch cable.

do some research on the high end china TIG and MIG units. there are some really good ones for cheap.

good luck!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Mister.64 wrote:
Nice. is it numbers matching? You're starting out in really good shape, and yes if you have the room in your shop, i highly suggest you pull the body. the pans are easier to do, you can see if there is any rot on the underside of the channels, the metal work is easier to get to on the apron and it'll be easier to address that crack. weld it from both sides.

HF mig flux is okay, just be ready to grind and make sure all your metal is clean. small tacks and use a heat sink wherever you can welding on thin metal. looking forward to seeing the project

Good advise Not sure if it is numbers matching or not. Thank you.

Last edited by aaronr25 on Sat May 29, 2021 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
nice find! welcome to the 65 club, for some reason there seems to be ALOT of 65's popping up in the forums lately.

since you repairing the luggage tray anyways, you may as well add in a trap door/access panel for the starter and clutch cable.

do some research on the high end china TIG and MIG units. there are some really good ones for cheap.

good luck!

Yeah I will need to get something better to start welding with. Good idea on the trap door. Thank you.

aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:
Neat. I love stories like this. Good luck and post pics along the way. Here’s a picture of my Ruby Red ‘66 to use as motivation. 😉 😆

Good looking car man. I do dig the color.

aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

I had to go back to work this week so not a lot has been done on the bug. I did manage to get the right rear fender off and discovered a little damage to the right quarter. The fender was dented and it pushed in the quarter a little bit where the fender mounts. I will have to figure that out down the road. Other than that it seems pretty solid there and the body mount seems good. I have decided that I will probably remove the whole luggage tray and just replace it all. I think it would almost be easier than trying to graft in a partial piece.

This stuff is great for rusty bolts. I let it sit for 2 days and sprayed twice. Huge difference it makes.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Kroil is the best, also if you heat the fastener up...no waithing, get camping cyclinders striker and a thingy that hooks up to the cyclinder, I just undid every bolt on my 66 year old bolt, not one broken bolt..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Do some research on AMERICAN made welders, like the Hobart Handler 125 or 135, the prices will surprise you and you won't have to cheap out on disposable Chinese crap.

And, if you're only working on that car and home projects, don't waste your time or money thinking about a TIG machine, you don't need one, and TIG is a very learned skill.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Do some research on AMERICAN made welders, like the Hobart Handler 125 or 135, the prices will surprise you and you won't have to cheap out on disposable Chinese crap.

And, if you're only working on that car and home projects, don't waste your time or money thinking about a TIG machine, you don't need one, and TIG is a very learned skill.

I dont believe the Hobart Handler is an American made welder!
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

Good advise. Thank you.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
Busstom wrote:

I dont believe the Hobart Handler is an American made welder!

You know, I don't know about all of them, but I just picked up a 140 to add to my arsenal, and it was plastered with "Built in USA" stickers. I just read that some were being made in Mexico, but I can't confirm personally.

aaronr25, go online and check out Cyberweld, they have the best prices and free shipping to boot. They usually drop-ship from regional warehouses and you can get your welder in a day or two.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Love my Hobart Handler 140. It's Miller's budget line. IIRC Made in USA with foreign parts vs. Miller which has more high end/American parts inside. A lot of people rave about import machines like the Everlast, but to send in for repair usually means packing and shipping it. Hobart, Miller, Lincoln- all serviced locally.

Also, there is, or used to be, 2 versions of the Handler- one sold at Home Depot, Lowe's etc that has even more plastic and cheap parts inside. Get one shipped from CyberWeld. I ordered my Lincoln SW200 TIG from them and the price was really good!

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
Love my Hobart Handler 140. It's Miller's budget line. IIRC Made in USA with foreign parts vs. Miller which has more high end/American parts inside. A lot of people rave about import machines like the Everlast, but to send in for repair usually means packing and shipping it. Hobart, Miller, Lincoln- all serviced locally.

Also, there is, or used to be, 2 versions of the Handler- one sold at Home Depot, Lowe's etc that has even more plastic and cheap parts inside. Get one shipped from CyberWeld. I ordered my Lincoln SW200 TIG from them and the price was really good!

Thanks for the info and killer job on that single cab. It looks really good.

aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

I went to the VW show near Tulsa this weekend and did pick up a nice rear decklid. I did have some time to get all the trash out of the trunk and pull out the old fuel tank. The firewall looks really good and solid, but there is some small holes in the spare tire well. I hope to start taking out body bolts and start getting the body removed this weekend.

aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

I built this dolly the other night and got the body off with a little help from my neighbors. Now the sheet metal work will begin.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

aaronr25 wrote:

Excellent, I'll be following.

Now I won't tell you how or what you should be doing, but the wooden dolly is missing some important (critical) elements: it really should have some 45-degree braces crossing the boxed sections at either end...your vertical 2x4's are just standing alone like stilts, they can rack and fold over to either side. Unless I'm missing something, but I don't see it, there's nothing preventing your dolly from folding.

Fore and aft, not so much, cuz you have those 2x6's running longitudinally, but side to side, yikes.
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up this 65 Reply with quote

Good eye on the 2x4 braces missing. I am going to brace up both ends before I start moving it around or working on it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: