Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

Okay, here goes
I am initiating work on my new love, and realize how difficult it may be to source front brake cylinders.
The Notch has been sitting for decades, and I am positive the front cylinders will require major overhaul or replacement. I am not afraid of tackling overhaul, but replacement with new/refurb would be preferred. My sig other, she who must be.., thinks for safety to go ahead and just change to front Discs instead of orig drums. Thus my three questions:
1. Other than sourcing the needed items, are there other mods which need to be done?
2. How difficult is to source all the needed items for disc conversion?
3. Would it just be simpler to have the Cylinders overhauled professionally and live with them?

Thanks in advance
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

You can find rebuilt front wheel cylinders on these very Samba classifieds, rebuilt by none other than Jim Adney, so that’s a good option if you want to keep the front drums.

It is getting harder to find the correct front brake shoes. The correct ones are 50mm wide but some vendors now are selling rear brake shoes, which are 45mm wide, as fronts. This of course will reduce the surface area of your friction material. Enough to make a big difference? I don’t know.

The other question is what shape are your drums in? You can’t get new ones and if the old ones need to be turned, you may have trouble finding a shop that can do it these days.

If you decide to go the disc brake route, CSP makes a very good front disc brake kit that keeps the wide-five wheel pattern and uses the stock spindles and wheel bearings, so it’s pretty much a bolt-on solution and very well-made. It definitely costs more than buying rebuilt wheel cylinders though. Very Happy
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
Okay, here goes
. Thus my three questions:
1. Other than sourcing the needed items, are there other mods which need to be done?
Check the ISP west wide five kits, all you need is a set of late model disc brake spindles.
2. How difficult is to source all the needed items for disc conversion?
The ISP west comes with everything.

3. Would it just be simpler to have the Cylinders overhauled professionally and live with them?

It comes down to the overall costs associated, and if you want the car to be original. If you need all new parts (cylinders, drums, shoes, bearings and seals) it might be cheaper to go disc. On my 63 (smaller pinwheel drums) I sourced everything for a complete overhaul (cylinders from Sweden, drums from Germany, shoes and seals from the US) and it would have been more cost effective to go disc. The drums stopped fine and I could lock up the 165's with ease so I don't think 5mm reduction in width would affect the braking drastically.

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Okay, here goes

It comes down to the overall costs associated, and if you want the car to be original. If you need all new parts (cylinders, drums, shoes, bearings and seals) it might be cheaper to go disc. On my 63 (smaller pinwheel drums) I sourced everything for a complete overhaul (cylinders from Sweden, drums from Germany, shoes and seals from the US) and it would have been more cost effective to go disc. The drums stopped fine and I could lock up the 165's with ease so I don't think 5mm reduction in width would affect the braking drastically.

Thanks in advance

Jason,
Thanks for this. While CSP offers a nice product, ISP West is drawing me. I had completely redid my 59 Type 1 with cylinders, drums, shoes.... And honestly, while I should not fear the old Type 3 individual front cylinders, I had been doing watercooled discs since the 90s so it is familiar ground too.
Bottom line, it boils down to a month from now when I start to really focus on brakes whether I want to maintain OG logic, or update slightly. I would like to say cost is not a factor, but that would be a lie.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
Jason37 wrote:
Okay, here goes

Thanks in advance

Jason,
Thanks for this. While CSP offers a nice product, ISP West is drawing me. I had completely redid my 59 Type 1 with cylinders, drums, shoes.... And honestly, while I should not fear the old Type 3 individual front cylinders, I had been doing watercooled discs since the 90s so it is familiar ground too.
Bottom line, it boils down to a month from now when I start to really focus on brakes whether I want to maintain OG logic, or update slightly. I would like to say cost is not a factor, but that would be a lie.

Back when I did my 64 T-34 that I got from Russ, I had a choice of rebuilding the drums, or going discs. At the time (2011) getting stock shoes was the hard part of redoing the drums, so I went ahead and got some 66 on spindles and modified them for a SoCal Imports wide 5 disc kit. Multi69s on here did a nice write up with photos on converting them over. I followed his write up, and converted the car over to discs. This was right before I drove the car out to Colorado for the type 3 Invasion. It wasn't that hard to do, and was a no brainer swap. I also had Jim Adney rebuild a dual circuit type 3 master cylinder for the car. Please note, this was before ISP started selling a wide 5 front rotor and caliper kit for 66 on type 3s. For you, this would require you to purchase some 66-on spindles to use their kit (or buy some spindles from them). Something to keep in mind is the 66 and earlier cars used a smaller tie rod end, which means if you get 67 and later spindles, you'll need to unbolt the steering arm from your 65 spindles and put them on your later disc parts (they're a bolt on part). Note; when I sold my T-34 Ghia, the front drum parts went with the car in case the new owner wanted to convert back to the drum set up. The nice part of the SoCal Imports kit was that it used Rabbit, Jetta, Golf brake pads that you can get almost anywhere.
Just some food for thought.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

you can get rear wheel cylinders easily, they are the same as superbeetle fronts

buy 4, 2 for the rear, and 2 for parts for the front. Disassemble and use the cups and ends on the front, they are the same 22mm diameter. That's what I did on my 63 anyways...

If I wasnt concerned about correctness and numbers matching originality I would do the disc swap. It's not like 20 years ago before we got wide 5 disc kits and were stuck with 4 lug discs from late model cars Not talking
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
you can get rear wheel cylinders easily, they are the same as superbeetle fronts

buy 4, 2 for the rear, and 2 for parts for the front. Disassemble and use the cups and ends on the front, they are the same 22mm diameter. That's what I did on my 63 anyways...

If I wasnt concerned about correctness and numbers matching originality I would do the disc swap. It's not like 20 years ago before we got wide 5 disc kits and were stuck with 4 lug discs from late model cars Not talking

Yup, and according to Jason (head of the 1500 club) you can do a wide 5 disc swap and still be eligible for the 1500 club. He's planning on doing that conversion to his own T-34.

And since my 65 Notch isn't a 1500 club car, it runs on 4 lug discs up front, and it doesn't bother me 1 bit. After all try and find a set of 32 spoke Shelby rims. It took me 18 years to find a 5th one for a matching spare. Razz
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

If all the drums are good/useable keep it stock.

64-65 wheel cylinders are readily avail, NOS and reasonable. Just install new cups before using them, 7/8in or 22.2mm. Super Beetle rebuild kits are available, cheap.

50mm wide front shoes are out there. Just takes some digging and part number cross referencing to find. I was determined and scored some for the 63 on the cheep.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

For my '64 T3 I sent the front shoes out to a reline service somewhere on the East Coast. Sorry that I can't remember exactly where, but the cost wasn't much over 75 dollars. The cylinders are still in decent shape, but when they start to go I'll replace it all with discs.
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

vwpieces wrote:

50mm wide front shoes are out there. Just takes some digging and part number cross referencing to find. I was determined and scored some for the 63 on the cheep.

Thanks for this. Current plan is to stick with the drums and wait a bit on disc. Have just pulled the right front. No deep scoring on the drums, and the shoes are actually not that bad. Not compromised by fluids and such. I remember pulling my first bug drum years ago and the rivets had scored all the drums to the point needing turning or replacement.
I will likely use 45 mm when ready or just keep looking for 50s and brake carefully.
Water
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
vwpieces wrote:

Thanks for this. Current plan is to stick with the drums and wait a bit on disc. Have just pulled the right front. No deep scoring on the drums, and the shoes are actually not that bad. Not compromised by fluids and such. I remember pulling my first bug drum years ago and the rivets had scored all the drums to the point needing turning or replacement.
I will likely use 45 mm when ready or just keep looking for 50s and brake carefully.

Sent Ya PM. Shhh
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

Stock fronts being a dual-leading-shoe design, with two cylinders per wheel,
They probably don't stop much different than non-vented discs,
At least when it's dry.

If the aftermarket disc kit is a cheapie one, the drums might even work better..! Smile

I'd say, if you're going to do the project correctly, then use the correct parts.

Only reason to use discs is to make the project easier.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Decision time:Replace or restore-Fr Brakes(Disc or Drum) 64 Ntch Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Stock fronts being a dual-leading-shoe design, with two cylinders per wheel,
They probably don't stop much different than non-vented discs,
At least when it's dry.

If the aftermarket disc kit is a cheapie one, the drums might even work better..! Smile

I'd say, if you're going to do the project correctly, then use the correct parts.

Only reason to use discs is to make the project easier.

The main reason I went to discs was due to trying to find drum brake parts 10 years ago. And not living in California or Germany made finding parts even harder. Otherwise I probably would have kept the drum brakes.
I couldn't find brake shoes. Wheel cylinders would have been rebuilt by Jim Adney. I still had a machinist who could turn drums (he did the rears for me). Would have had to decide single or dual circuit master cylinder though, as I had both. But going to discs made going to a dual circuit master a non starter. Jim even gave me a great price on doing it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: