Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

I pretty much know the answer but I want to check with the congregation.

I have a buddy building a Manx clone. He's wanting to avoid chrome and polished aluminum (traditional style) and go with a more subdued and modern look on his build. He's leaning heavily towards black (satin or gloss he's not sure) wheels and he'd love to run 17x7 in front and 18x10 in the rear. Both front and rear has disc brakes with chevy 5 x 4-3/4" bolt pattern.
He's also wanting to keep his wheel budget around $1,000.

My experience says there's zero chance of checking all those boxes but I played around on Summit searching for wheels with the right back spacing, width and bolt pattern, look and price. No luck.

He's not absolutely stuck on the 17' & 18" diameter wheels but he really likes that modern big & little look with really low profile tires. If he found some 15' wheels with the right look he'd go that route. Any suggestions?

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373572069703?epid=4027241689&hash=item56faa16947:g:Zs4AAOSwX0NgsdeC

I have found that a lot of the EBAY sellers will put together custom wheel packages for you if you email them.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

Centerlines (NLA) in 16x7 and 17x9.5. Ford (5x4.5) PCD. These were custom offset to fit my Deserter with SA (long axle) rear and BJ front and stay under the fenders. 205/50 front and 255/45 rear tires. Doesn't meet some of your criteria (polished and clear powder coated, Ford PCD) but close? Probably looking to offload these as I went back to a 15" rim, decided these didn't quite have the "look" I was going for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeff
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/33/0f/23330fd0c3576ca4aac4b04c9092b852.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/88/c8/73/88c873e8e8613606c4961c859ef594cd.png

bnc
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Centerlines (NLA) in 16x7 and 17x9.5. Ford (5x4.5) PCD. These were custom offset to fit my Deserter with SA (long axle) rear and BJ front and stay under the fenders. 205/50 front and 255/45 rear tires. Doesn't meet some of your criteria (polished and clear powder coated, Ford PCD) but close? Probably looking to offload these as I went back to a 15" rim, decided these didn't quite have the "look" I was going for.

Jeff

Those are some awesome wheels and tires....too bad they are ford lug. I'd almost be tempted to switch to them.
I love the reverse offset to keep them under the fenders....

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

bnc

Almost shot beer out of my nose!!!

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

Quote:

YOU GOTTA' BE KIDDING!!! Shocked Shocked

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
I pretty much know the answer but I want to check with the congregation.

I have a buddy building a Manx clone. He's wanting to avoid chrome and polished aluminum (traditional style) and go with a more subdued and modern look on his build. He's leaning heavily towards black (satin or gloss he's not sure) wheels and he'd love to run 17x7 in front and 18x10 in the rear. Both front and rear has disc brakes with chevy 5 x 4-3/4" bolt pattern.
He's also wanting to keep his wheel budget around $1,000.

My experience says there's zero chance of checking all those boxes but I played around on Summit searching for wheels with the right back spacing, width and bolt pattern, look and price. No luck.

He's not absolutely stuck on the 17' & 18" diameter wheels but he really likes that modern big & little look with really low profile tires. If he found some 15' wheels with the right look he'd go that route. Any suggestions?

GOOD LUCK.. i spent days looking for the same thing, trying to find the right fit and offset was the worst part of my build.. i was thinking same general size. im running moto metals. they have some options, mostly 16" is what i ended up using.

i did like these but offset wasn't right for my build. maybe work for him.

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

does he have the option to run 5x130 pattern also? my disc brakes allowed that pattern as well as the chevy pattern 5x4.75
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

jegs makes some nice rims, but they are 15 inch, but its can come as a 10" and 7"

the SSR mags and spikes

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Sea...;langId=-1

also wasn't right for my offset
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

He actually found wheels he liked that, ironically were NOT what he asked me to look for which is a deep (negative) offset.

He found something with a rather positive offset but he likes it. I think the thought of dropping around $4,000+ just for wheels was a major deal breaker for him.

I sure am glad I'm very fond of spun aluminum wheels such as ERCO and CMS wheels. They're practically free by comparison!!

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

bnc

Oh! Wow! Shocked

But...

Nope!!! Sick
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bnc

Oh! Wow! Shocked

But...

Nope!!! Sick

One, I could drive. Not a fan of RWL tires though...

The other... not on a dare

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

Yeah that red and black is bad ass. I’d be all over that. The other not so much but I do appreciate everyone’s personal likes.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
He actually found wheels he liked that, ironically were NOT what he asked me to look for which is a deep (negative) offset.

He found something with a rather positive offset but he likes it. I think the thought of dropping around $4,000+ just for wheels was a major deal breaker for him.

I sure am glad I'm very fond of spun aluminum wheels such as ERCO and CMS wheels. They're practically free by comparison!!

Sweet!
onespeedpaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

If you are aware of what the various terms for backpspacing/offset mean and know what you want in that regard along with the dimensions and bolt pattern, you can search/filter wheels on both tirerack and discounttiredirect and find some really good deals on modern wheels
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

Guess I am to much old skool.... Never understood big rims and skinny tires..... Ain't natural....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Affordable 17" & 18" wheel options for "modern" looking buggy Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Guess I am to much old skool.... Never understood big rims and skinny tires..... Ain't natural....

It is if you go back far enough. At one time the rims were wood and the tires were 1/2" thick steel bands! I have as set of 17" here on a Jetta with those 1 1/2" tall sidewall tires and yes the ride is right up there with those old wagons. Every crack in the road is registered no matter how tiny!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: