Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Hello all,

Who knows what kind of curtains ‘74-‘75 Westfalia’s had? As the ones that I have in mine appear to be the original ones, but they are thinner than the ones that came in the later Westy’s.

And if they are indeed thinner and different, does anyone know where to get these early Westy T2b curtains? As I need to replace one as it’s so brittle due to UV or so that it completely pulverizes when you touch it.

Thanks.
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1561208
Look at this
We put these in our Bus
They seem thinner but it’s all there
And priced right .
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Many thanks 55 ragger. Those are brilliant, just are curtains for a VW T2a. Ours is a ‘75 T2b with green curtains. Just not the thick ones are which they came with later, from ‘76 on. I maybe wasn’t specific enough.

Therefore again, does anyone know if these thinner curtains were original and different in early T2b Westfalia’s. And if so does anyone know where one can get these? As only one curtain needs replacing.
It’s the left side rear one, behind the cabinet. It’s complete falling apart due to always being in the sun as you don’t slide it back.

Thanks.
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Ok AWOL
School me ? What Is
Type 2B ?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

55 ragger wrote:
Ok AWOL
School me ? What Is
Type 2B ?

T2b aka “Late bay” 72 and up. However my 1972 T2b would have had the plaid curtains in your link. When do we talk about color, yarn gauge, weave or knit, materiel, and thread count. Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

AWOL. Try these guys. Might not be perfect but close enough.

https://nlavw.com/search?controller=search&s=Curtains+

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Thanks AWOL
Good to know !
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Great tip Xevin, thanks! Now the question came up on what the original color of the curtains in our bus is. It’s a Ravenna green Westfalia bus. Some people also call it Bali or Yosemite yellow I think. With the blue/ green plaid Düsseldorf interior. I suppose the curtains are green in that and not the so called barley yellow. Does anyone know what’s original?

Xevin, interesting your bus has the white yellow and brown curtains if its an T2b. Or is it an early T2a/b? And a hard top or pop top hinged in the back? Sure those curtains are the originals?

55 ragger, to add to the types info, T2 or bay window busses from ‘67-‘71 are T2a, ‘72 was a transition year where the busses had a new back (of the T2b), but still the front of the T2a, therefore called the T2a/b and from roughly ‘73 till ‘79 it was the T2b.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

55 ragger wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1561208
Look at this
We put these in our Bus
They seem thinner but it’s all there
And priced right .

Damn...guess I should have checked the classifieds for these when I was redoing my bus. I bought a repop set from BD for twice that price. 😳
’65 Deluxe Build
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

AWOL
Ok thanks for information
I pick up our bus in 2019 I’m enjoying the ride !
1975 Bay all original . Almost anyway!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

AWOL wrote:
Great tip Xevin, thanks! Now the question came up on what the original color of the curtains in our bus is. It’s a Ravenna green Westfalia bus. Some people also call it Bali or Yosemite yellow I think. With the blue/ green plaid Düsseldorf interior. I suppose the curtains are green in that and not the so called barley yellow. Does anyone know what’s original?

Xevin, interesting your bus has the white yellow and brown curtains if its an T2b. Or is it an early T2a/b? And a hard top or pop top hinged in the back? Sure those curtains are the originals?

55 ragger, to add to the types info, T2 or bay window busses from ‘67-‘71 are T2a, ‘72 was a transition year where the busses had a new back (of the T2b), but still the front of the T2a, therefore called the T2a/b and from roughly ‘73 till ‘79 it was the T2b.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Never heard the term Type 2 A/B I do trust the knowledge posted in this link. I’m “Pretty sure” the plaid color is original to my 72 Westphalia Campmobile. I’m basing that on how many 1972 Sierra Yellow campers I’ve seen with the same plaid curtains as mine. VW did some whacky and inconsistent things from year to year, Type 2 A/B wouldn’t surprise me.

https://www.justkampers.com/us/vehicles/index/info/id/3/

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

The plaid ones were used until 73, 74-75 had a solid color in orange or green, reasonably thick too just like the later models, same time the laminate color got darker.

Where's Notchboy?, Jason is the 74/75 Guru.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The plaid ones were used until 73, 74-75 had a solid color in orange or green, reasonably thick too just like the later models, same time the laminate color got darker.

I almost typed your name 3 times to get in here Wink Laughing
Have you ever heard the term Type 2 a/b for a 72?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I have. ‘69-‘71 is a T2a and ‘72-‘79 is a T2b. It changes with the addition of the T4 and the D scoops. I get ‘72 is a one year only, but so was a ‘68 and ‘71.
’65 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Xevin wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I have. ‘69-‘71 is a T2a and ‘72-‘79 is a T2b. It changes with the addition of the T4 and the D scoops. I get ‘72 is a one year only, but so was a ‘68 and ‘71.

Rich, I’m talking about a 72 being a “Type 2 a/b” nether a type 2a or type 2b but Type 2 a/b as it’s own model. Does that make sense?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

I would say it’s a T2b with its T4 engine and large tail lights. I guess you could call it whatever you’d like, as 99.9% of the people won’t know the difference.
’65 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

I've heard that description before, it's usually used by those Brits when "crossover" just doesn't cut it. Maybe other Europeans use it as well, I guess it makes them feel they have something exclusive and rare? I've always thought type 2a was a splitty and b was a bay, or is a split a type 1 but not the Beetle kind?, I'm sooooo confused. Shocked

More curtain stuff here: https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts...2/Gardinen

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Busdaddy, thanks as I am not sure if the bus came with green or these so called Barley yellow curtains. I mean the Ravenna green or Bali yellow busses were all a bit different. Also with the pop up tents, which were originally more yellowish green unlike any other Westfalia’s.

I found a piece of, what I think is, original colored curtain behind the rear side cabinet and it appears to not be green, but more towards that barley yellow. If only someone knows what these busses had originally. As I like to have it like the original.

On the type indications. The Germans called them like that and this is what it says translated from German:

T2a (August 1967 to July 1971)

The very first series of the T2a was built from August 1967 to August 1968. From August 1968 to mid-1971 this T2a, which had only been modified in a few technical details, was continued to be built. This model series can be recognized by the successor model (T2 a / b) on the front section with the indicators below and the side running boards on the bumper as well as on the rounded rear section with the oval tail lights. The geometry of the open rear frame group of the T2a corresponds to that of the T1, but has been slightly lengthened at the front and rear. A large part of this model series, and especially those with the popular Westfalia equipment, were primarily sold on the US market. There, like the VW "Beetle", it became a popular symbol of the local flower power movement.

T2a / b (model year 1972) edit
(August 1971 to July 1972)

This type is a hybrid form as an intermediate model with body parts of both the T2a and the T2b (large taillights, indicators at the bottom front, larger "ears" for air intake of the engine, disc brakes at the front). He is also often referred to as a hermaphrodite in the VW Bulli scene.

T2b (August 1972 to July 1979)

What I didn’t know is that the even later built Brazilian and Mexican models are indicated with T2c.

I am not sure if T2a/b’s were ever officially exported to the USA by Volkswagen.

There you have it. It is what it is.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

When I was a kid, we had a 74 Westy from new. It was Yellow/green exterior. The curtains were a cotton yellow plaid that many vendors show as an early bay or split. The cotton ones did not hold up well and were in bad shape by the time I totaled the bus in 1985. My second bus was a 1978 Westfalia which I still have that uses a synthetic material solid green curtain material. Aside from some fading, it has held up very well over the last 34 years that I have had the bus.

In 2000, I bought another 74 Westy just like my first. It had home made curtains which I replaced with the later green version. Looked great.
Here's a pic of the bus on a Baja trip
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a regular guy
homestead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

I bought a set for my '71 from the guy in Canada who has a listing here in the classifieds. They are spot-on perfect. I highly suggest you check him out. I would look to VWNLA for what was there to start. I find them to be a good reference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: