Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Hi all,

So I got a whole new set of proper curtains, how they were originally. Just before I install them incorrectly, does anyone know how the curtains were originally installed in a ‘75 Westfalia?

With that I mean that I suppose the back side of the stitched part of a curtain facing the outside of the bus and do the top corners on one side of each curtain remain loose on the rail or fastened with the rail screw? Especially the curtain behind the standing cupboard on the rear left. Was that fully loose or the top corner fastened behind the screw? If anyone knows how this originally was done I love to hear it. Many thanks.
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Nobody any idea how the original Westfalia curtains were installed in a ‘74-‘75 Westy? With the corners fixed with the cord or tail screw or fully free?

Let me please know if you have any original pictures of how the curtains were installed or know how they were installed. Thank you.
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

They were green, held in place by a long white cable across the bottom when closed, with little poppers on them to keep together.
When open looped around white tie back.
Mine is a 75. I replaced curtain hardware not long ago but have used blue curtains.

My 75 was actually an late bay body but early bay running gear (like the 003 auto box not later 010) with a 1800 engine, not later 2.0l. The body isn't like the '72 cross overs or the proper early bays, its 110% late bay, pop top same way round etc.

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Hi pgtips,

Thanks for you reply. What I mean is if the curtains are actually secured in the bottom and top corner behind the screws of the rail and strap. Or are they originally fully free moving over the full range of the two and not secured and fixed at any of the corners?

My ‘75 bus also has the 1800cc engine. It’s an injection, ED coded type 4 engine. I think in ‘76 they switched to the 2.0i ones.
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Nothing complicated or tricky, free moving.

Tbh no need to secure, I don't think they would have thought about it unless it's a feature of later westys I've not come across that.

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

To add to this thread, another curtain question.

How is the front curtain installed? I just don't seem to get it... Seems kind of tricky. was there an elastic strap running the whole length of the curtain?

thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

Yes, elastic along the top edge, when snapped into the corners it hooks over the rear view mirror, and the visors also help hold it up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia ‘74-‘75 curtains Reply with quote

ok, thanks, that was my guess but was not sure..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: