Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pittsburgh Transmission Recs?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Eurovan that has been struck with some dreaded transmission issues. (feels like it's always in gear / trying to move when stopped / some scary noises)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a VW or transmission shop to take it to near Pittsburgh or Central PA? 2 of my normal shops have said they don't work on automatic transmissions and I have a call into German Auto Outfitters in Beallsville.

Many thanks!
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

I bought a 2003 EUROVAN over in Greensburg PA last year that had a transmission issue. It made it back to Youngstown, Ohio but failed about a month after that. After finding that most shops will not service them I was lucky enough to find ADG transmission in Boardman Ohio 330-758-5885. He offers a 1 year warranty (rebuilt parts) or a 3 year warranty (all new parts) and i have had ZERO issues with his work. It took about 3 weeks just to get in and then he had it for about 3 weeks to complete the work due to parts availability. I would highly recommend him.
I priced rebuilt transmissions and then having a mechanic put them in and worried that IF I had problems the rebuilder would blame the mechanic and the mechanic would blame the rebuilder. Price wise it was cheaper the pay ADG to rebuild it with all new parts and have a 3 year warranty
mp1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

Thank you, will check them out.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

studioh wrote:
I bought a 2003 EUROVAN over in Greensburg PA last year that had a transmission issue. It made it back to Youngstown, Ohio but failed about a month after that. After finding that most shops will not service them I was lucky enough to find ADG transmission in Boardman Ohio 330-758-5885. He offers a 1 year warranty (rebuilt parts) or a 3 year warranty (all new parts) and i have had ZERO issues with his work. It took about 3 weeks just to get in and then he had it for about 3 weeks to complete the work due to parts availability. I would highly recommend him.
I priced rebuilt transmissions and then having a mechanic put them in and worried that IF I had problems the rebuilder would blame the mechanic and the mechanic would blame the rebuilder. Price wise it was cheaper the pay ADG to rebuild it with all new parts and have a 3 year warranty

Mind sharing the price you paid for the rebuild.
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

$4000 with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Included replacing the drivers side axle also
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

Pretty good deal, I think my bus good make it out there on existing trans if I had to have mine fixed.
mp1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

Quick update on my status if it's useful to anyone.

1. Talked to German Transaxle in Oregon. Very friendly but they are only doing full service installs at the moment which means I would have to ship the van out there from Pittsburgh. The person I spoke to said best case it's $6,000 once it's out there.

2. Called IPT in NJ, they're requiring you to send your transmission in and I believe he said it was about $5900 for the rebuild. That doesn't include removal / install + shipping 2 ways.

3. Called Gillece Transmissions -- the largest transmission service shop in Pittsburgh and they said they are no longer dealing with the Eurovan transmissions.

4. Called ADG at the forum rec and David (I believe) was super friendly. Said it would be about 4800 for a rebuild once I got the van out there and he's booking about 6 weeks out.

That's likely my path -- I may list the van in the classifieds for $6,000 under value and if I don't get any takers before 6 weeks are up she'll live to fight again.
JFBx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

You could also try Meenan Trans in Landsdale, PA. They rebuilt ours and we dropped the pulled/out-of-van trans off to them for rebuilding. Took 5 weeks and $4.4K.

--jb

Last edited by JFBx on Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

You dropped off your van or the transmission out of the van?
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

I usually recommend European Transmissions just north of Atlanta. I picked up an '03 last year knowing it needed a trans. I had it shipped there, they removed, rebuilt and reinstalled for $3600. Very nice German shop, They had it for a few weeks but the last few days were them just testing it. I picked it up because I wanted to chat with them. As an aside, the previous owner had gotten the work done by the place out west that I will not name. It failed within 4 months, the second one failed in 3 months (according to the previous owner). There certainly could have been a problem with his mechanic and not necessarily the trans.
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

I see that your for sale ad is no longer on Craigslist----did the van sell or are you keeping it?
mp1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

More updates for anyone interested in the Pittsburgh area.

Foreign Traffic on Route 8 agreed to take a look at it. Waited 3 weeks for an appointment + then they sat on it for a week before finally calling me to say "we drove it and it needs a rebuild, we don't do that."

Had a suggestion to call Streetsboro Foreign Auto in Ohio. They seem like more of a vanagon / air cooled shop but they said they had a transmission shop they send Eurovans to. Didn't investigate too much but they seemed like a good option.
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

You should be pretty close to the end of your 6 weeks if you booked an appointment with ADG
mp1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

Just got the van loaded onto a truck and it's on the way to ADG.
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

Nice! If I get out to the Boardman area this weekend I may stop and check it out.
mp1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

Nice! The appointment isn't until the 27th so it will be out there for a while. No hurry!
jordan_fehlman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

mp1979 wrote:
Nice! The appointment isn't until the 27th so it will be out there for a while. No hurry!

Did ADG trans end up fixing your trans? If so are you happy with your work?
jordan_fehlman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

studioh wrote:

Are you still happy with your trans rebuild?
studioh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

Are you still happy with your trans rebuild?[/quote]

Yes- my transmission has performed flawlessly
mp1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Transmission Recs? Reply with quote

I just picked up the Eurovan from ADG.

Have only driven it about 100 miles so too soon to tell but so far so good.

There was a green EV in the shop when I picked mine up -- is that yours?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: