Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have One of These??
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
sjt_711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

I just bought a '95 EVC and it's frigging sweet, I love it.
Drove it several hours home after buying, opened the hood and noticed the secondary air injection air check valve was all burned up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I'm searching now for one of these and have had zero luck. Does anybody out there have a parts vehicle or one of these laying around?

Thanks!!
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

That is the check valve for the secondary air injection system. The part number is 037 131 367. It is hard to come by, but search with part number and you may be able to find it.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

If that part is melted then the combination valve is probably bad and stuck open letting exhaust blow through it. there's a good chance it also ruined the air pump too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

sjt_711 wrote:
I just bought a '95 EVC and it's frigging sweet, I love it.
Drove it several hours home after buying, opened the hood and noticed the secondary air injection air check valve was all burned up.

So I'm searching now for one of these and have had zero luck. Does anybody out there have a parts vehicle or one of these laying around?

Thanks!!

There's a NOS one on ebay in Latvia right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202637378329?epid=9015280994&hash=item2f2e210319:g:wLwAAOSwa9dgjMWo

But as others have said, this didn't melt on its own, find the cause of this happening before you install a new one or it'll be ruined in short order.

Also, there are likely other similar parts that can be substituted. Other VWs from the same time period likely have a similar valve that can be made to work.
sjt_711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

There no emissions standards for where I live. Seems like I could just bypass the entire secondary air injection system and never look back. Anyone have thoughts on that?
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

If you disconnect the secondary air injection pump electrical connector, then you will get a CEL. But if you just disconnect check valve and plug all vacuum lines and holes, then you may be good. You will probably need a filter on the SAI pump intake side though.

If you don't mind the CEL, remove all SAI parts, plug all the holes, and call it done.
sjt_711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

I'll look around for a generic check valve for now. There is no CEL at the moment and the van runs great. I just can't see spending a rediculous amount of time and money on a mediocre system that works for a few minutes on start-up. I wish I knew I knew what electrical specs the ECM was looking for on the silly SAI system cause I could absolutely design something to satisfy it if I knew exactly what the ECM needed.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
If that part is melted then the combination valve is probably bad and stuck open letting exhaust blow through it. there's a good chance it also ruined the air pump too.

Adding to this thread long after the fact to add a part number that may be of use.

Pierburg W0133-1833370-APG is ALMOST the same as the combo valve that the Eurovan uses. The only difference is the clocking of the housing. It's readily available, and it's trivial to loosen the crimps and rotate the housing to match the Eurovan specific part, then re-crimp with a vice grips.
AlexandMary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

wannabecamper wrote:
If you disconnect the secondary air injection pump electrical connector, then you will get a CEL. But if you just disconnect check valve and plug all vacuum lines and holes, then you may be good. You will probably need a filter on the SAI pump intake side though.

If you don't mind the CEL, remove all SAI parts, plug all the holes, and call it done.

Do you know if the system throws an engine light if the SAI doesn't work? Especially the pump?
Thanks.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

AlexandMary wrote:
wannabecamper wrote:

Do you know if the system throws an engine light if the SAI doesn't work? Especially the pump?
Thanks.

Yes.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
AlexandMary wrote:
wannabecamper wrote:

Thanks.

Yes.

It will also do it if the solenoid that supplies vacuum to the two vacuum controlled valves fails. That solenoid will fail if the hot side valve (name?) diaphragm has a hole in it. Hot humid exhaust will cause corrosion in the solenoid.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have One of These?? Reply with quote

Mine looks like that - I took one off my parts van .93 mv luckily the new one didn't get burned but if the new one is hooked up to the valven the engine stalls so I have it partially hooked up with a t fitting & it seems to be fine..Any thoughts anybody?? Bill VT & PR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: