Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot)
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stand4Salmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

We have a 2002 Eurovan weekender. 175,000 miles on it.

The transmission has officially gone out.

Found what seems like a reputable shop - Hugos in Gainesville, FL.
He's quoting me $8500 to replace transmission.

The cost is not entirely surprising. Still leaves us wondering what to do.

What could we sell this van for without fixing?

Should we fix, then sell, and move on?

Or suck it up, fix it, and keep it? It's in otherwise great shape, timing chain replaced a few years ago.

But, as my wife said, can we think of a car that brings us as much joy (and occasional heartache) like this van.

Thoughts?
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

For a bit more you could have a shop manual swap it! It's not that hard to do.

It's a much better van with a manual. I know, I own a 2003 that I swapped and I also sell a plug and play emulator to take care of check engine light issues due the auto transmission not being there.

More info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765099
Stand4Salmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

[quote="EuroTec"]For a bit more you could have a shop manual swap it! It's not that hard to do.

It's a much better van with a manual."

oh man, manual would be super fun. But i am debating the cost enough as is, not sure we can dig deeper for a manual conversion
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

What is the market value of the van now?

What would the market value be of the van with a new-ish $8500 transmission?

Can you replace the Eurovan's utility to you with another vehicle? And at what cost?

At 175,000 some components are going to be failing just due to age and mileage.

No easy answers. Over the years we have faced this decision with a number of cars.

Sorry for the news. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stand4Salmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

I think this is the question i am hoping someone on here might be able to help with. What is the value of the van without functioning transmission?

Based on cursory research, i feel like i could get at least 15k for the van with the replaced transmission.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

Stand4Salmon wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

I think this is the question i am hoping someone on here might be able to help with. What is the value of the van without functioning transmission?

Based on cursory research, i feel like i could get at least 15k for the van with the replaced transmission.

The value of the van with a busted transmission is nil, I'm afraid. You might find a taker if the engine/chassis had very low mileage, but very, very few people are going to want to undertake such a job. $8500 is probably 2/3 of what that Weekender (with that mileage) would be worth with a working transmission.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

If you do a manual swap it'll be worth $20K +
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

I agree w/EuroTec. Seems like the market has cooled off somewhat from the COVID Van craziness, and of course depends on the overall mechanical and physical condition of the van.

But with a broken transmission it's not worth much. With a fixed transmission and depending on condition you may find yourself in $15-20K condition.

BAT is one barometer for prices and a potential sales channel for you. Worth keeping an eye on this auction to get a feel for it: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-volkswagen-eurovan-11/

The US is just now rounding the corner of peak "I want to drive the country and camp" season so May is a good time if you can be ready.
patagrande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

Stand4Salmon wrote:

Should we fix, then sell, and move on?

Or suck it up, fix it, and keep it? It's in otherwise great shape, timing chain replaced a few years ago.

But, as my wife said, can we think of a car that brings us as much joy (and occasional heartache) like this van.

Thoughts?

These vans serve a very specific niche in the US recreational vehicle market: people who don't need a lot of interior space, aren't going to offroad, and are willing to accept the cost of regular maintanance (some preventative, some not). With purchase price and some larger professional repairs, I'm into my 2003 Weekender for under $30k, but what are the options if you want a small van which allows you camp basically but comfortably? A Metris (no thanks) or a Tofino (yes, but almost $100k)? Or a custom build out of some sort of utility van? The first option is north of $70k (for the Metris), and and a custom build out varies depending on what you can and are willing to do yourself, and what you'd pay someone else to do it.

In the SF Bay Area a well maintained, typical mileage Weekender seems to be advertised for $20-25k, here's a manual swap for $26k asking:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/santa-cruz-2003-eurovan-westfalia/7608058148.html

Everyone's financial situation is different. I'm old enough and have worked long enough through my adult years to justify a luxury like this. It's not a financial investment, but a liability. It is, however, an investment in our happiness and wellbeing.

We keep a notebook in our van of places we've camped. Any time I feel unsettled when spending $$ on the van and need a reminder of the positive role this vehicle plays in our life, all I need to do is take a look in that journal.

If the van brings you joy, and you can afford to keep it, do it. If you can't, move on, and there will hopefully be something else in the future.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

In our vw club mosty buses but some old & new bugs, and other vws we camp,go to lots of shows & cruzes we have a saying " Vws are a sick Addiction of which the ONLY cure is death"" We all believe that so welcome to the club which is worldwide. Good luck Bill VT & PR
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

Has anybody switched a stick to a auto? I have a 93 which was switched from a auto to a stick .The stick is now busted and I have a good complete auto in my parts van. 143 k blown engine. Everything is there but the transmission computer. Do I need this part? Can't I just shift manually? Thnks Bill ..PR & Vt
Stand4Salmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

Thanks all for the input and encouragement! ha!!

Just to close the loop here is where we landed.

- Cant sell it without fixing it, so we're fixing it.
- Even if we sell it, then roll that money into something new we wind up with a car payment and that's not fun. or we buy some other $8,000 used beater.
- As several have flagged - what else brings us so much (expensive) joy!?! Nothing.

So, we'll probably keep it!!!!

The struts were redone last year, new radiator this past summer, we redid the timing on it about 4 years ago and it remains in really good shape. So it makes the most sense to just keep it. Right?!

We'll probably drive it less, keep it protected a bit, use it for camping and hauling surf boards and bring us bright blue joy along the way!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Dilemma: Sell or Fix Van (Transmission shot) Reply with quote

Sounds like a great plan likeany senior citizen it's time to slow down & snef the roses..Bill VT n PR... 76 years old last week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: