Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Bug ivory clock plate - original?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Split Bug ivory clock plate - original? Reply with quote

I believe these have been reproduced so is there a way to tell if this is an original?

It does have the VW symbol on the back.
I don't know if this is a guarantee of originality?

Thank you.

Pics!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bug ivory clock plate - original? Reply with quote

I am not sure if it is og from the days of production, maybe later replacement as it has VW on it. I know that the early ones used to crack and you could see light trough it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bug ivory clock plate - original? Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.

An original VW replacement is good to know too.

It sounds like the presence of the VW symbol indicates it's a VW-supplied part so I am happy to know that fact.

My main goal was to find out whether any reproductions have the VW symbol or not.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bug ivory clock plate - original? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

An original VW replacement is good to know too.

It sounds like the presence of the VW symbol indicates it's a VW-supplied part so I am happy to know that fact.

My main goal was to find out whether any reproductions have the VW symbol or not.

Not necessarily. A lot of these types of repros are made by making a silicon mold of an original part and using that to make resin copies. Unless the logos are removed from the mold or covered over before the mold is made, they will all be present on the repro.

There was a vendor here who used to make repros that had all of the original logos intact.

I personally think the logo's shouldn't be on repro parts. Keeping the logos makes them more of a counterfeit than a reproduction.

That part does look like a real VW part, although later as Peter pointed out.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: