Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I hate drum brakes.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

65 split bus.
stock drum brakes with dual master
bled correctly, stars are all adjusted (recently)
was pulling badly to the right/passenger when i hit the brakes
and now today...pulling even harder to the Drivers side/Left
NOTHING has changed since two days ago when last driven?
possible the Master is going bad? I am perplexed.

Thanks for the Help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

When did you change your flex lines last? Pulling is either brakes out of adjustment or a bad line. Check that and should be an easy fix. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

tie rods or other front end pieces?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

Did you pull back the boots on the wheel cylinders to make sure it was not leaking or pitted or corroded?

That was my problem-one of my brake cylinders was corroded with a bunch of build up under the boot.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

Wheel cylinder that leaks just a bit, makes that set of brake pads more grabby. Like one does when wetting finger tips when counting money.

Wheel cylinder that leaks more, lubricates up the brake shoes in that drum, making the bus veer to the other side.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Wheel cylinder that leaks just a bit, makes that set of brake pads more grabby. Like one does when wetting finger tips when counting money.

Wheel cylinder that leaks more, lubricates up the brake shoes in that drum, making the bus veer to the other side.
exactly what I was thinking. I bet the right is getting wet.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

I had this exact problem. Solved it with a disc brake kit from Wagenswest:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
When did you change your flex lines last? Pulling is either brakes out of adjustment or a bad line. Check that and should be an easy fix. Good luck!

I concur that the adjuster screw probably needs to be adjusted. If it's in your budget, I recommend disc brakes. Check out the Empi ones, my friend has them on his 67 split and loves them. I have Porsche 944 disc brakes. Obviously they brake night and day. Good luck!

It is what it is
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

Also went disc. Easy peasy.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

check the exact inner diameter of the drums. often differences left to right or too much machining or non bed-in brake shoes cause uneven braking.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

Front and Rear disc's
Stops like a Yugo about to hit a Pinto in front of an orphanage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

All good advice and variables have been covered and I would advocate discs as well. I did the CSP kit almost 15 years ago spending more on the kit than I spent for my SC. Best money ever spent. If you do insist on staying with drums, know that any small amount of contamination on the shoes will cause grabbiness and this will be magnified if you have any slop in any of the steering components.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

Having real German drums with ATE components makes a real difference, hard to come by these days, but worth the effort. My 58 stops great with everything sorted out.

That disc set up looks mighty sweet.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
check the exact inner diameter of the drums. often differences left to right or too much machining or non bed-in brake shoes cause uneven braking.

Problem with that is it is not going to change sides suddenly without anything changed by the mechanic/owner.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Problem with that is it is not going to change sides suddenly without anything changed by the mechanic/owner.

Yes, probably in the meantime there have been also a leak
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

I'm another one who went discs on my '63, over 20 years ago. I went with the Wolfgang Int'l setup, largely because it was the only bolt-on replacement available that retained wide-fives. The only mod was to the calipers, which had to be ground to clear the rims. Even with no assist and after 20k miles, the difference is still shocking.

After chasing problems like you describe and numerous close calls on the road, it was well worth the money spent.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I hate drum brakes. Reply with quote

Well, I like drums just fine.
AS FAR AS ONE CAN EXPECT.
I live in the US MIDWEST.
Certainly with a bigger engine, or lots of mountain stopping.
I have a 1970 Westy project. I don't think it will ever get discs. UNLESS in a future life I drive it in mountains a lot.
Neither in my 56 single cab that will not even go 55mph.
Careful replacement of parts and especially brake hoses and hydraulics should make the drums work fine. The same failures will make disc brakes work poorly as well.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: