Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I want your opinion...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

I've gotten to the age where my next driver's license renewal will require me to take a driven test. The question is should I take the driven test in my Bug or not?

I've sort of bastardized my Bug over the years. The OEM passenger seat belt (which there are very few passengers) has to be manually adjusted. Additional devices, switches and floor bracing with lack of carpeting abound. My Bug is noisy, cramped and beautifully ugly.

Everyone in the family says I'm crazy to try to take a test in that 'piece of shit'. They say the tester will personally refuse to test me in my Bug for safety reasons alone. They're breaking my heart.

The bottom line is I'd have to take a modern car (one that I don't drive), practice and be totally uncomfortable during the test. Or I'd have to at least update the passenger seat belt.

It's my daily driver, it's what I drive. So what would you do? Take the Bug and be confident and calm or take the old lady's car and be uncomfortable and nervous?
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

If what ever your State is requires a safety inspection on your bug and you have it displayed on the windshield and it still passes that inspection regardless of the cosmetics you have done, then it cannot be refused. Your fight is then with the Motor Vehicle Division of your State. You can choose to fight them, if they choose , or just use a modern vehicle. It really is just that simple. I am 70 and my father used a ratted out FC 150 Jeep to take his test in , in Virginia, a tough State. The inspector refused to ride with him, but still had to give him his license. Its your fight. Do you have the time, and are willing?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Check your State Regs at the DMV site. You would likely be refused in Ny with a lap belt only car at some test sites. You would not get tested and would not get a license.

You could drive it to the site and ask. Clean it first, of course.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Had a ford ranger with the door handles shaved and a remote control popper to open from the outside. Tester refused to get into the truck. Not mentioned in our bible.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Take the Bug.
Then when the tester yanks your license, the "old lady" can haul your befuddled old arse around in her Prius. Laughing
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

I live in Illinois and I'm not sure if they're 'vehicle sensitive'. I'll check it out.

"Then when the tester yanks your license, the "old lady" can haul your befuddled old arse around in her Prius."

"Befuddled"?

That's what pisses me off. I don't get tickets. I don't have accidents. I'm being penalized for my age because of old-fucks that do. Old-fucks that can't tell an accelerator from a brake pedal.

If you want to look, look at my history. Don't fuck me over or lock me up for robbing a bank I haven't robbed just because I'm 73 or 33 or 23.

If you're maintaining and driving an old Bug daily you're by definition NOT mechanically challenged. If you can't tell the difference between first gear or fourth, an accelerator, clutch or brake pedal in a Bug, then you won't be going very far.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I live in Illinois ........

It looks like that is the problem. Illinois requires a road test starting at age 75 no matter what. It seems to be unique that way.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
If what ever your State is requires a safety inspection on your bug and you have it displayed on the windshield and it still passes that inspection regardless of the cosmetics you have done, then it cannot be refused.

No regular vehicle safety inspection here in Illinois. I've got about a year and a half before my license is up, so no rush.

I've just got through with putting new heat exchangers and muffler on my 'winter' Bug. I had to, it needed it. I still do all the regular maintenance to my Bugs to keep them dependable.

But there are other things like up coming tires, body and paint work, new glass on my Bugs I'm putting off until I'm sure I have four more years on a license.

And I would like to ready a Bug and supplies to make one last Alaska trip with my brother before we croak. Don't want to do it this year (pandemic residue) and it looks unlikely we'll be able to next year.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
goober wrote:
I live in Illinois ........

It looks like that is the problem. Illinois requires a road test starting at age 75 no matter what. It seems to be unique that way.

I’m an old fart and I wish all States did this
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Drive what you are comfortable driving.

I brought my first kid home from the hospital in my 1970 VW, because I was too nervous to drive Mrs. Cusser's 1982 Firebird; my head hit the ceiling driving that, and I had to slouch down to see the speedometer reading because the steering wheel was in the way.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

All 50 states should require a road test every 2 years starting at age 72 to renew your drivers license.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Drive what you are comfortable driving.

I brought my first kid home from the hospital in my 1970 VW, because I was too nervous to drive Mrs. Cusser's 1982 Firebird; my head hit the ceiling driving that, and I had to slouch down to see the speedometer reading because the steering wheel was in the way.

Be sure of yourself be confident take the VW. If you have any choice take the examiner born before 1975 they will have a friend, neighbor or family that owned a VW. These type of meetings usually bond into a rememberance of a blown engine, engine fire or how someone used a shoelace after throttle cable broke to get home during a snow storm.

If you can do any of this you passed as a brother. Just don’t blow through any red lights. I’d use the turn signals and hand signals if it’s not raining, kinda gives a double safety vibe, you passed.

My father-in-law took driving test in his late 80s driving a 1927 Model T . He passed too. It probably makes the examiners job more interesting and maybe even fun.😀
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

it's good to drive multiple cars and keep the brain functioning and alert. ask a family member or friend if you can practice in their car a few times and take the test in it. I assure you, the driving tester will use anything to not let you use your bug, right or wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

At least in NC, if your car is not road worthy and that car is the one that you intend on taking the test in, you fail the test.

I knew someone that failed their driving test because of debris in the floor of the driver’s side. The inspector said that if the bottle rolled under the driver’s feet... “FAIL”. The kid didn’t even pull out of the parking spot.

The officer (here) will do a walk around & minor inspection of the car (lights, horn, tires, insurance, registration.). If the car can’t pass a minor inspection, you fail your driving test.

Think about how many idiots these people have to get into a car with on a daily basis & think about the fact that they are literally trusting their lives to a complete unknown multiple times a day. And if they see some reason that your car either can’t pass an inspection, or they don’t feel safe, then they can reasonably so “no”.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Think about how many idiots these people have to get into a car with on a daily basis & think about the fact that they are literally trusting their lives to a complete unknown multiple times a day. And if they see some reason that your car either can’t pass an inspection, or they don’t feel safe, then they can reasonably so “no”.

Bob Newhart's take on a similar profession:

Quote:
You go to work, you come home at night and you never really think about it. It's mechanical, it's routine.

But there are a group of men who every day when they go to work never know if that night they will return, because they face death in one hundred different ways.

And I am talking about America's driving instructors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

if your cars not safe it needs to be made safe.then take it in your bug.I had no problem doing it in my bug and the tester was tickled to be in it...although my baja probably dont look like yours does.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

I took my first driving test in my dad's '71 fastback way back in '74, so it was still like new. I had my permit so my mom let me drive there. She didn't know that was the first time I had driven that car (or any car with a stick, for that matter). I passed, just a couple of BS dings by an insecure examiner, so I didn't complain. I told her about a week later about my being a manual virgin for the test. I couldn't tell if she was more pissed or proud.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

I'd just get familiar with the newer car and use that. Dial in the mirrors, clean the inside and out. Path of least resistance, a comfortable relaxed tester will likely result in success. You want a license or just want to fight about it?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

I agree with my59. Use the right tool for the job. You said you're not mechanically challenged, so practice with the new car and get good at driving it. You don't have to like it. As soon as you pass the test you'll be back to the bug.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I want your opinion... Reply with quote

What a bunch of Debbie downers, what’s the point just shoot yourself. Not the OP I’m talking to Debbie😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: