Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jongalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974. I had to evict little animals that had made it their home including some in the fuel line and fuel pump, go figure that. I started it with a Milwaukee drill with a socket in it for the fan belt pulley. I purrs like a kitten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXxETkJWfHo
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

AWESOME

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

Nice, sounds good!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

nothing nicer than the noise of a standard 36'er.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

Got to love a little 36hp Russian Roulette.

I did the same thing with an 36hp I bought back in the 90s. It looked really good on the outside so I changed the oil and put it on my empty transmission case starter setup. It sounded great too. About a minute into the test I gave it a little gas. A valve stuck or floated, hit a piston and knocked a hole in it. The chunk of piston went in the case and jammed with something and the engine stopped almost immediately.

Because of this I am very much an advocate for stripping an engine down for a complete inspection, clean and repair of anything before starting a mystery engine that has sat for a long time.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

I did the same thing with an 36hp I bought back in the 90s. It looked really good on the outside so I changed the oil and put it on my empty transmission case starter setup. It sounded great too. About a minute into the test I gave it a little gas. A valve stuck or floated, hit a piston and knocked a hole in it. The chunk of piston went in the case and jammed with something and the engine stopped almost immediately.

Because of this I am very much an advocate for stripping an engine down for a complete inspection, clean and repair of anything before starting a mystery engine that has sat for a long time.

x2! I have had a few customer engine lock up and a few of my own. Now, I spin them with fresh oil and no plugs in it, and just listen. If all sounds good, I will then start it up, but for just a few minutes. Then let it all cool back down. Change the oil to see what there is to see, see, see! Then run it on the next start up. Pretty good success rate with this regiment.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

That's not really a first start video! To qualify as a first start in a long time you have to capture its first start on video. Although! Well done I Love it.
I didn't capture on video mine first starting either but got pretty close in the video. It turned out to have a clogged fuel line at the petcock and a intake manifold air leak.

Link

Jongalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

you should have done what I did and you wouldn't have blown the engine. Prior to trying to start it I took the plugs out and turned it over until the oil pressure came up. I could tell by putting an ohm meter on the oil pressure sending unit and waiting until it opened. Also I manually shot oil onto the valve guides knowing the had been dry and could be sticky.
Danwvw :As close as anyone is going to get.Sounds like you have a bit of the green eyed monster. There are always a few lurking.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

Quote:

Interesting! The 36er is not an interference motor so how the valve met the piston is a mystery to me.

Also:
I started an engine a few years ago that had spent many years outdoors. I pulled all the tin off and spent many hours cleaning dirt and mouse nests out of it. Once it was VERY clean I drained the oil looking for any pieces and put nice fresh oil into it. I set the valves, making sure everything was moving then replaced all the ignition. I spun it over until the oil light went out and fired it up. It was a piece of crap but I used it anyway. I told the guy who bought the car that the engine was shot and he would have to rebuild it. He drove the car for a couple of years before he pulled it apart. It was SHOT! everything went in the trash and he had to start over with another block. It was an E code motor but who ever assembled it was a crook. Not a speck glue on the case halves or anywhere else for that matter. I was sure glad when Colin scrapped it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Exterior latex and a paint brush. Why didn't I use a foam roller?! Sheesh.

Don
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Volkswagen 36hp first time started since 1974 Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

X3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont judge a book by its cover. I Opened up a "runner" 40hp that would of ran, but only for a little while until it self destructed. The brass dizzy drive gear had degraded, and been sucked into the oil ways by the pump, and destroyed the #3 journal. When i pulled on the con rod that sucker was LOOSE.

OP, sounds good. And the engine looks clean. nice work.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: