Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build thread - 2.0 air-cooled auto to 1.9 water-cooled manual
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - 2.0 air-cooled auto to 1.9 water-cooled manual Reply with quote

Thank you for the comments! Just popped on to finish the info for this build thread, in case anyone else ever does one.

First thing I bought for the current van was a Blazecut...AND I carry two commercial fire extinguishers to boot! Smile

I haven't seen the Swedish clamps, I will look into that - and if I wasn't finished the build I would have looked at relocating some fuel components - did not even occur to me.

Fired her up tonight and everything works - shockingly enough. I had a no-power-to-ignition-coil moment that threw me, until I realized I hadn't allowed for a coil power wire. Fortunately the '81 coil power wire still existed at the rear, and was a direct plug-in to the '85 coil power line.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The fuel pump power wire has to be changed from the '81 plug to the '85 style - it is the white short single wire with a spade terminal near the end of the long right side fuel injector harness, close to the injector plugs. This connects to a long single wire that leads down the right side directly to the fuel pump.

Anyway, hooked the coil wires up, Van go Vroom instantly - I was pretty pleased.

Existing '81 harness wires I used were oil pressure light and alternator exciter, tho I ran the '85 starter/alternator (main power)/fuel pump relay/ignition relay harness. These are the identical power contact points that are located at the power stud to the top right inside the big black wiring box at the front left of the WBX engine bay.

Most of the rest of it was just tying harnesses and heater hoses up out of the way - I had to extend both heater hoses by about six inches at the rear, probably because I left too much slack in the nose - but once everything was tied up and bundled above the fuel tank I had no slack to pull them rearward.

I also eliminated the power steering vacuum port at the top right of the bay, and plugged the vacuum ports to it - as I am not running power steering.

The clutch line bled itself at the slave as I was parked nose upwards, piece of cake. I still have a bit of a soft brake pedal so some more bleeding to do tomorrow. Almost broke a front caliper bleeder off but got it at the last second with vice grips - thank you, Baby Jesus.

The air-cooled chassis needs two holes drilled below the license plate for the coolant tank:

I was ultra careful to align my shifter rod exactly to my paint marks, and checked all components for slop before installing - it actually shifts really good right off the hop, I don't think I'm going to have to do any adjusting at all. For how rough the '85 was body wise, it was surprisingly good mechanically - except I don't think there was a single vacuum hose or connection without a split or leak, with all those fixed the engine runs better than ever.

And the pretty-much finished install, for all those of you who have never seen a WBX 1.9:

So that's about it - a ton of hours but really no component difficulties at all, the usual swearing at VW engineering but that goes with the territory. Really hope it helps someone to have this info down the road.

Now on to completing the Westy roof and getting her into the paint shop! Smile

Thanks for reading!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Build thread - 2.0 air-cooled auto to 1.9 water-cooled manual Reply with quote

Congrats on getting it up and running!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Build thread - 2.0 air-cooled auto to 1.9 water-cooled manual Reply with quote

You've made quick progress! Nice that it fired up easily. Congrats.

Your '81 brake callipers likely have 2 bleed screws per caliper, if you felt "adventurous" Wink .....

Bentley shows a brake fluid 'replacement' procedure involving use of upper and lower bleed screws.

An old web page of mine showing my solution to strengthen the 1.9 alternator brackets:

https://sites.google.com/site/musomuso/alt.tempbrackets

That was pre MIG ownership hence the brazing at bracket. The added brace at underside may or may not be a good idea or needed.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
greatwideopen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread - 2.0 air-cooled auto to 1.9 water-cooled manual Reply with quote

Great job! You both have been super helpful!

Your posts have been super helpful and love the positivity, and a shame about blue. I have an '81 Westy (air-cooled, motor was smoked) converting to liquid cooled ('87 Vanagon parts van from a friend), and putting in a 2.5 Subaru motor, and was struggling on the wiring for the coolant related items! The diagram and additional photos were great.

I may post a few questions in the next few weeks, if I end up getting stumped, if you don't mind lending your expertise.

Cheers,

Tyler
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: