Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..….
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: 4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..…. Reply with quote

So in my number checking angst, and after having my car for a few days already, I totally forgot to check aprons. Rolling Eyes So looks like my 56 has had aprons replaced with later units.

I don’t care for myself, but since the rest of the car is quite true, want to eventually get proper aprons for it. Any suggestions?

TIA
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..…. Reply with quote

Wolfparts.com or www.autocrafteng.co.uk
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..…. Reply with quote

Thank you! (Or of course swap meets, shows, etc). I actually kinda like the front setup latch/catch & honestly might keep but would still look for a 4 and throw it in the rafters. But “H” I’d definitely like to have just…cuz…well what the “H”. Laughing Cool Wink
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..…. Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
Thank you! (Or of course swap meets, shows, etc). I actually kinda like the front setup latch/catch & honestly might keep but would still look for a 4 and throw it in the rafters. But “H” I’d definitely like to have just…cuz…well what the “H”. Laughing Cool Wink

A front H apron would latch the same as you have now.
I would also put the bumper supports back on before your bumpers start getting wonky. You will have to drill out the holes but i think its worth the time. Very nice Oval you have.
Pic from kaferdude's gallery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..…. Reply with quote

Thanks!! I didn’t catch that it’s same. (When I looked up some aprons I wasn’t seeing the 4 bolt pattern). But looks good. I will probably at least get the em in my possession as it’ll only put value in the car!

And did you mean the overriders?? TBH I hadn’t caught that before you mentioned it. Though I will say I went without (*with* extended homemade brackets) on my ‘63 for about 7 years before I sold it and they never budged. But still a sturdy touch I’ll try for, for sure! (Thanks again!)

(Also hopefully not an anathema if I just “drill” holes vs looking for some other fenders that have them. Razz Twisted Evil Laughing
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: 4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..…. Reply with quote

#22 is an overrider #23 is a support bracket. The holes for the support bracket get grommets so you have room for minor error. Always sketchy drilling holes on a painted car though. If it doesn’t bother you leave as is , as long as your happy with your car thats all that matters to be honest.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..…. Reply with quote

Randy you need to do your home work on apron installation.
Drilling out spot welds, precise drill holes, has value if you do it right...do it wrong and its just a hacked POS Do more searches.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 finger and “H” aprons for ‘56..…. Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Ya, that's what I meant on those. (supports for sure) Funny thing...I had holes on my old '63 and I purposely made bracket extensions so I never ran the supports so I always had empty holes there. Now I've got the opposite problem....LOL!! (Double Murphy's law) Wink

And I'd DEFINITELY not try welding in new aprons myself. (I know a couple of talented welders anyway). But, again, I'm in no rush to change them as I plan to die with this car in my posession now and I'll just keep an eye out at shows, meets, swapmeets, etc. until I find some and at least *acquire* them so I can feel content about the purist in me.

(That'll be about the time it gets stolen or hit by a bus & rendered a total loss, right? LOL) Wink

Thanks again guys!! (thumbsup)

My old vacant holes ----->
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: