Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Carb or Rebuild
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

So got a new tank for our recently acquired thing.....ours is rusty, clogged everything after a few days of driving and stalls out.
So Amazon has a new carb fo $65 or rebuild kit for $28

Do I rebuild or buy the one on Amazon? Anybody have experience?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

if you have a german Solex rebuild it for sure. Amazon carbs go in the trash.

Conrad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

If it's a German 34-3 you can have it rebuilt by Tim at Volkbitz. He will rebuild, rebush, and he can tap and thread the fuel inlet for you.

https://www.volkzbitz.com/

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

if the carb isn't completely thrashed just rebuild it yourself with a quality kit. No need to send it off & pay a fortune if the shaft & bushings are already in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
pay a fortune

You must be living in the 60s if you think $200 is a fortune.

On Long Island, the local Chevy dealership is charging $205/hr for labor alone.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:
pay a fortune

You must be living in the 60s if you thing that's a fortune.

it is compared to replacing a pump diaphragm or a float valve. I haven't seen his existing carb. Go ahead and do a redundant rebuild if it gives you piece of mind. Again, I haven't seen what he's working with. I'm not saying Tim's work is not worth it by any means. he OP is obviously trying to save money considering a $60 Amazon special.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

just unbolt it ( don't even look at it) and send it off for rebuild Rolling Eyes Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
The OP is obviously trying to save money considering a $60 Amazon special.

You're assuming that.

Most VW people look for the cheapest option. But many time going with the cheapest is not in the long run. For if it fails, the cost of being stuck on the side of the road and repairs can be many time the cost of doing it right the first time.

There are more poor quality rebuild parts than quality parts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:

You're assuming that.

Most VW people look for the cheapest option. But many time going with the cheapest is not in the long run. For if it fails, the cost of being stuck on the side of the road and repairs can be many time the cost of doing it right the first time.

ok you got me. send your distributor to Glenn also as it probably needs a rebuild too.

sorry for my suggestion.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:

You're assuming that.

ok you got me. send your distributor to Glenn also as it probably needs a rebuild too.

sorry for my suggestion.

Sure go ahead. VW never planed on them being used for 50 years. And if they didn't need to be serviced they wouldn't of made rebuild parts.

BTW, "rebuild" means different things to different people. Some thing taking it apart, cleaning and putting it back together is a rebuild. Others measure all the parts for wear. They have the knowledge, tools and quality parts to rebush and replace worn parts. They also have the specialized tools to test the part so they know it works as good as or better than new.

I would say that a "correctly" rebuild part will work BETTER than new since it's been blueprinted and not assembled on a factory assembly line.

It's the same difference between having a Mercedes V8 and one built by AMG.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:
Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:

You're assuming that.

sorry for my suggestion.

Sure go ahead. VW never planed on them being used for 50 years. And if they didn't need to be serviced they wouldn't of made rebuild parts.

BTW, "rebuild" means different things to different people. Some thing taking it apart, cleaning and putting it back together is a rebuild. Others measure all the parts for wear. They have the knowledge, tools and quality parts to rebush and replace worn parts. They also have the specialized tools to test the part so they know it works as good as or better than new.

I would say that a "correctly" rebuild part will work BETTER than new since it's been blueprinted and not assembled on a factory assembly line.

correct
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

This is the procedure for my 30 PICT 1 but the procedures for most of our carbs are simmilar. I hope you find it useful.

Link

kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

Back to the question at hand...
ozark23 wrote:
Do I rebuild or buy the one on Amazon?

If your existing carburetor is original, then definitely rebuild it (or have it rebuilt...). On the other hand, if your existing carburetor is an aftermarket copy, then search the classifieds or elsewhere for an original, buy that, and rebuild that one.

In summary: When it comes to VW carburetors, original is good. Aftermarket is bad.

Good luck!
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

THanks everyone....I was 98.7% sure the ones on Amazon are Trash....and this one was running great until the rust clogged up the filter and the carb....it is original so Ima take a run at rebuilding/cleaning it---I mean I can change the clutch in my split bus, so I guess I can figure this out....I watched a Youtube video on rebuilding and it looks harder to clean 40 years of Junk off of the outside than the rebuild....

Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

Gotta go with Glenn on this, I had Tim rebuild my carb for my 70 Ghia, including rebushing, as it leaked, threaded inlet, no worries of it coming out. Looks better than new. Alo replaced the distributor and fuel pump from Bill at Sparkwerks. Was worth the extra bucks in my mind.. I was not worried about keeping it totally stock, and they all look great, and she runs great now!

Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:
Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:

You're assuming that.

sorry for my suggestion.

consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Carb or Rebuild Reply with quote

kent70ghia wrote:
Gotta go with Glenn on this, I had Tim rebuild my carb for my 70 Ghia, including rebushing, as it leaked, threaded inlet, no worries of it coming out. Looks better than new. Alo replaced the distributor and fuel pump from Bill at Sparkwerks. Was worth the extra bucks in my mind.. I was not worried about keeping it totally stock, and they all look great, and she runs great now!

Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:
Glenn wrote:
consvws wrote:

You're assuming that.

sorry for my suggestion.

great! Glad it worked. Go drive your vw whatever it takes for you to do that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: