Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder head temp idiot light
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

Reading the Bill Fisher, How to hotrod your VW book. They mention using a Corvair head temp sensor/switch that turns on an idiot light when they are getting too hot. I searched for the sensor online but only came up with NOS ebay parts and out of stock items. Is anyone doing this anymore? modern solution for an idiot light?

Thanks
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

Those little sensors you put on the head and wired to the idiot light have long ago been discontinued.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

Not a cheap option but a good one . MGL TC-1 gauge has an adjustable alarm for over temp . It can be configured for different thermocouples from memory .
photo for reference , I've set mine at 180C (well under max allowable)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

https://www.opgi.com/engines-components/cylinder-h...11607.html

They are available in repop.

Danny604 - where do you install it? I'm interested in using one on my double cab as I don't want to use a gauge and would notice a light quicker.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
Danny604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

I was planning to have a boss welded to the head and thread it into that. Thanks for the link. I agree with not wanting to have a gauge, I feel the same way.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

I still have one, somewhere, I used it on my bus engine, never see ed to work like it should have, never really warned me of anything the other gauges didn't. Even a GB227 would be better, in my opinion.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

I run a dipstick sensor and a head temp gauge.

Dipstick sensor is a brilliant idea. You can check it out here.
https://www.busdepot.com/gb228

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

It should not be too hard to make "something" that works like this reliably.

A few ways to do it. Something like these just for an example of what to look for.

https://www.wika.us/tfs135_en_co.WIKA

Hundreds of sizes, configurations and temperatures. Its just a bi metallic switch tjat is normally open. When it hits temp it closes and turns on your warning light.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

Westach publishes the MV output for their Type J thermocouples (with the cold junction at 75º F).

A creative electronics wiz could assemble a circuit to trigger a relay for a dashboard warning light at a given MV output from the thermocouple.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Westach publishes the MV output for their Type J thermocouples (with the cold junction at 75º F).

A creative electronics wiz could assemble a circuit to trigger a relay for a dashboard warning light at a given MV output from the thermocouple.

Yes....but....without cold leg temperature compensation.....the temperature that TC causes the alarm or warning light to go off at..... will vary widely.

Just stating the above fact for the record ......because you are right.... a thermocouple is a good and cheap idea.

The reason I did not suggest using a thermocouple.....is because I figured those looking at this thread wanted one that was dirt simple.....like single wire simple?

If one has enough electronics know how to design a logic circuit to trigger a relay or open a circuit for an LED or light bulb.....when the TC is sending the exact current level that corresponds to whatever temperature you consider too high.......you can easily build the small circuit I found the plans for on line last year for a compensation circuit for almost any TC so any gauge can be temperature compensated.

If you can solder.....its about $20 in parts or I think the guy is selling kits.

But......if you can do all of that.....you are basically building a gauge.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp idiot light Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
But......if you can do all of that.....you are basically building a gauge.
Ray

Yep; that's why I use a gauge. Wink

I assumed that the OP did not want to clutter (or hack) his IP with non-stock
instruments.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: