Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans break in
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Trans break in Reply with quote

I have a new trans i put in recently and will be taking it for its first drive today or tomorrow. I was wondering if there was anything special i needed to do for a break in? If it matters it's 3:88 r&p and stock gears, super 1&2. Standard super diff, dual HD side covers, welded 3&4, steel forks, chromoly pinion retainer. I filled it with Redline heavy shockproof. New Empi axles as well.
I emailed the builder late in the day yesterday and the email came back as undeliverable, so i wasn't able to ask him because i didn't see it until after hours.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Hey Mike, New syncro's will be 'tight'/stiff ' shifting , but it will become 'easier' after a few hundred shifts,lol,J.K. it won't take that long Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Good to know Mike. I also put a new shifter and coupler on so i would be jacking with it like mad trying to get it to smooth out.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

UR gonna love that shifter over the stock one for sure Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Feels good already. It's not so smooth to get it gear yet, but everything is nice and tight and seems to have a nice short throw.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

I’ve always had red poly shift couplers until recently. I figured new stock. Couldn’t wait to switch to a red poly one. Hate the spongey feel.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

To the OP question. On a rebuilt transaxle there isn't a break in process like an engine. I always put oil in the transaxle then spin the input shaft 20-30 revolutions to get everuthing lubed up inside. Once the trans is in the car I rotate the wheels another 10-15 times to get the diff all lubed up. Then drive it however you want and change the gear oil after 500 miles.

As mentioned if the syncr's are new they will be stiff shifting for the first few hundred miles.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Cool thanks guys
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Just run it..
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Advice I was given was to change fluid after 500 miles, and to avoid forcing any shifts... double clutch if needed, and it will get easier over time. I'd eyeball anything the magnetic drain plugs find.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Good to know Mike. I also put a new shifter and coupler on so i would be jacking with it like mad trying to get it to smooth out.

What shifter did you go with?
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

One thing worth noting about trans oil:
It has no detergents in it. It is designed to let particles fall out of suspension and lay in the bottom of the box. (and magnet).

If you have ever drained 40yr oil from an old gearbox, it looks like brand new.
The crud is all stuck to the bottom of the case.

That is by design.

I know folks recommend changing trans oil, but I don't see a need.
It really never goes bad. It doesn't break down. It doesn't fill with carbon.
All impurities settle out.

At $16/qt for Redline Shockproof oil, changing it gets expensive too.

I have even drained the oil, filtered it, and put it back in for race applications.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

I just use valvoline or pensioil 75-90syn for the first week or 2 then change it out after a good drive while some of the stuff is still suspended in the lube..
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

I'd suggest a couple short trips to get some oil thrown around, stay off the highway for a little bit.

I'd suggest doing some neighborhood style driving for 15-30 minutes and go home and let it all cool down and check to make sure you got bolts checked for being tight and didn't forget anything. Then do a little longer trip and higher speeds.

The worst thing I think you can do with a new trans is fire the motor up at high RPM's and jump immediately on the highway for a long cruise. The mainshaft bearing drips out any oil from it when you try and prelube it, same as upper idler bearings. Those bearings really get oiled from the rear tires moving only, so give the rear tires some movement to get stuff oiled up good before a highway run.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
buguy wrote:

What shifter did you go with?

Empi trigger shifter with the ball.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Last weekend i drove it around the parking lot at work for a dozen or laps. Moved it forward and backward a bunch of times too. I also put disk brakes all around on it so i was also testing that out.
This weekend i plan to drive it around the hood a little to check everything out. I had the car all apart doing a semi body on restoration. There is a car show next weekend i wouldn't mind going to. It's about a 45 minute drive. I do also have a trailer so driving it the whole way isn't a must. It will/would be the first time I've ever had it on an interstate since i got it in 1990. Running a 3:88 r&p with stock gears (.89 fourth) now on a super diff. 2054 efi turbo on E85.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Your Bug is No 'Trailer Queen'
Drive it !,,, Clone drives his to another State
I drive mine to a car show downstate about 3 1/2 hours( Atlanta,Mi to Vassar,mi)
I do trailer it to the Track Wink going to a Show in my old neighborhood (Rockwood) in August 250 miles one way so I'm trailering Rolling Eyes Wink
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Only real reason i would consider trailering it would be because it will only have 10 miles on a new trans, and maybe 20 miles on a new/rebuilt engine (and built by a novice!).
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

My last couple fresh trans I put the cars on stands and let it idle along in each gear for a few minutes
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Bugguy, no point in putting in a 3.88 if your not gonna go on the freeway, go drive the crap out of it. All those years you've never driven it on the freeway?
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: