Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some education on how the wipers work.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

Well, I am alittle confused after reading bently about the wipe system. I'm going for a custom set up, yet I'm not sure how the stock system works. What tells or makes the wipe always return to the bottom position? Is it the relay or something else? If it's just hooked up to power and switch, then when you stop the switch, the wipe will stop in the position its in, so it could be in middle of motion. Hummm, I'm missing something.

My goal is a rain sensing auto wiper system.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

Simply put, there is a copper contact strip on the gear driven cam inside the wiper motor which completes the electrical circuit to the wiper motor until the cam is in the correct position to park the blades at the correct position.

When that copper strip is no longer under the fixed contact finger of the motor casing, the circuit is broken and the motor stops.

Lots of details and photos on youtube.

Last edited by spitsnrovers on Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/rain-detector

You're going to do something like that but connect it to a relay that powers the wipers?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
Simply put, there is a copper contact strip on the gear driven cam inside the wiper motor which completes the electrical circuit to the wiper motor until the cam is in the correct position to park the blades at the correct position.

When that copper strip is no longer under the fixed contact finger of the motor casing, the circuit is broken and the motor stops.

I’m using a rabbit rear wiper on my race car. Only 1 speed. The motor has 3 wires. A ground, ignition on power, and switch on power. When I shut the wiper off, the ignition power allows it to park. If the wiper is on and I shut the race car off, the wiper stops where it is. When I power up the ignition, the wiper will park if the wiper switch is off. The wiper will start moving if the wiper switch was still on.

VW has used this method for as long as I can remember.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

The wiper motor contains a rotory switch which performs the PARK function, mere mortals don't need to under stand exactly how this works so long as it continues to work.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

Look around on E bay. Hella made a drop in kit for a rain sensor, it provides a replacement relay and a pick up sensor that mounts to the glass. No need to re invent the wheel. I think they called it a "Raintronic"

There is one on E bay now, Pricey but it gets you a part number. Hella part #( 5WB 007 977-801)

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

That is pricey, but you can rarely beat a drop in part when it comes to time and money. Neat.

Do you know if the relay controls the speed? Like it overrides the 2 stage stalk speed if there is more rain? Or does the driver leave it the stalk in 1 position and it just automatically turns the wiper on? Hella's website does not show any info on it anymore. Neither does the ebay ad have any info.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

Agreed the stock vanagon wiper system is troublesome to use. It's got that whole lever thing you have to deal with. Wink
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

I'm sorry to interject, and so rudely, but you have all got it wrong.

The wipers on the bus go "swish, swish, swish", then they go "swish swish swish" followed by going "swish, swish, swish" a final time.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:

So within the wiper motor its controlling the position. So I could just have a positive wire to the motor for power when activated and that's about it, correct? Of course it needs to be grounded also.

Cluster Rebuild:

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

Correct. Reread my post. It describes the minimal wiring to accomplish one speed and park.

I just reread. You need a power wire and ground to park. You need additional power wires for the different speeds. An adjustable resistor might give you infinite speeds on the high speed pin, but as voltage goes down, amperage goes up, so it would need to be a pretty decent resistor to handle the heat.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

It is not variable speed. It is the same speed as you intermittent wipe. When you put your switch in delay on the stalk it is then activated when it rains.
It is very crude by today’s standards but it does work well to its limits.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

I've taken a lot of these apart and thought I'd explain how it works and srarted to do so.
Then I thought "I'm too tired to put in this effort"
So I googled an online explanation that made sense to me and is probably better written.

http://www.vw-resource.com/wipers.html

The Vanagon of course complicates thinks by adding relays and such.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully will have it up and running soon.

Cluster Rebuild:

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some education on how the wipers work. Reply with quote

Years ago, I swapped out my wiper intermittent relay for the Audi variable one.
https://wolfautoparts.com/intermittent-wiper-relay-99-357955531-ps23682.html
It can be easily programmed to vary from 0 delay to about 20 secs. You put the stock down for a single swipe and then raise the stalk to off. Wait as long as you want for the interval and then put the stalk in the down/intermittent position. The wipers will now delay over the interval you just created. Sometimes a bit confusing, but a HUGE improvement over the stock single 7ish second delay.

I considered doing an automatic sensing system, but a big wad on the glass, lots of wiring and stuff to go wrong. The Audi relay works so well, I've abandoned the thought of an automatic system. Just wish it could go longer than 20 secs though. Maybe there is an electronic genius among you who could show us a delay triggering system which could go to a full minute. I would actually prefer just a pot on the dash for delay timing over the on/off Audi system. Depress the stalk and dial up the delay you want. How tough is that? For me a significant hill. Any climbers out there who could easily scamper up this slope?

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: