Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW engine chirps when when it runs
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnyhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

VW engine chirps when it was running I shut it down what was making this noise should I just pull it apart is it dead hurt or fixable Thanks for any help
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

The tips on a stock muffler chirp!
Some Dual Carbs chirp. They are normal.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

There are numerous reasons why your engine will make a chirping noise. Absent more information about exactly where the chirping is coming from, maybe even a decent quality video to demonstrate the issue, it's impossible to say one way or the other whether it's something to be concerned about or not.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

I had one like that, the fan was not spaced right and rubbed on the fan shroud. Also check the clearance between the engine pulley and the tins around it. It's not very likely to be an internal issue.
ronnyhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

The engine was running at idle then chirping started got louder and closer together engine started to run slower then quit. I have pulled engine out of the dune buggy and I can move engine with a pinch bar at the flywheel end a small amout at a time its not froze up but a bit tight. I'm going to pull it apart to inspect it inside hope it not to hurt wish me luck one locale person side it pinched a bearing
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

It is a quality control problem in the lubrication of camshaft under stem thrust surfaces afflicting the 1949 proptype enigne, the 1966 1300 cc, the subsequently the 1983, 2000, and 2017 water cooled engines.

It’s been bugging Vw engineers like a plague.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

Vacuum leaks do have a chirp sound as well. Like right below the carb.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

Go do this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

if it has a stock style muffler, remove the exhaust tips. if it goes away, your fine.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Go do this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How will 3 gallons of gas help?

Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW engine chirps when when it runs Reply with quote

ronnyhotrod wrote:
The engine was running at idle then chirping started got louder and closer together engine started to run slower then quit. I have pulled engine out of the dune buggy and I can move engine with a pinch bar at the flywheel end a small amout at a time its not froze up but a bit tight. I'm going to pull it apart to inspect it inside hope it not to hurt wish me luck one locale person side it pinched a bearing

That is a completely different story from your first one!

Good luck with the tear down and tell us what you find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: