Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unable to close Long spoon popout latch.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

As the title says, the long spoon popout latches fold onto themselves and jam up.

This is on a 61 Kombi with 6 the popout option. Happens with "real" and repop latches and I am using the spacer on the rear window.

I've never had this happen before and I'm sure I'm doing something really obvious once you point it out to me.

Thanks all for any help you can offer.
NAES
SBS #00
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

Try adjusting the latch screws/bolts where they attach to the frame.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

Yeah I tried moving everything around. I'll mess around with them again and take a few pics so you can see what I'm dealing with.
SBS #00
jonny1309
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

How are your seals? I think there needs to be a small gap between the two arms of the latch which would allow it to begin close. Once it cams over and latches, the gap closes. If the arms are fully mated too early, I think they bind. The seals keeps the gap open.

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
Add a cop mustache, some cholo shades and a Doyers cap to the guy in the suit .......... Tocayo.

scottvw wrote:
kiss my ass Tom....I'm without centercaps right now.

OgCalLook wrote:
nothin' wrong with: Nose down - Ass up!! Twisted Evil

Ragman wrote:
Did you tell her that Al Reed painted them?

lonslo wrote:
My tailbone still hurts like hell. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

Did you ever get these to work/ close? I'm having the same issue. Ive got spacers and it doesn't seem to help. The arm inside never gets far enough over into the latch for it to close. The "elbow" doesn't get behind the part that it levers against and binds way before it gets close.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

Take the entire latch off and do a "test" open and close. Watch carefully how the front and rear pivots interact- the "wrist" cannot pivot on the same plane as the "shoulder" and still fold flat. Press both mounting plates of the latch against a flat surface to watch what happens. All you get is a fold at the elbow as shown. Now lift the rear latch plate 2mm above the flat surface and re-work the latch. Now it folds flat.

That's why the rear spacer is necessary. It staggers the rear pivot from the front one- allowing it to overlap.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

patjones wrote:
Did you ever get these to work/ close? I'm having the same issue. Ive got spacers and it doesn't seem to help. The arm inside never gets far enough over into the latch for it to close. The "elbow" doesn't get behind the part that it levers against and binds way before it gets close.

I know what you are talking about, the trick is nice fresh sponges rubber to force a cam over spring type function. This pic looks like the latch base is way too far back. Add the spacer and slide them as far forward as they will go. You may have to loosen the two screws on the pop out frame that hold the latch also. The screw plate on the rear window has slots in the wi Dow frame sheet metal that allow you to slide it towards the front or rear of the bus. You may have to poke a different hole in the headliner if it’s that far off.

Definitely take the latch off and operate it in your hand to see where the rounded edge guide has to lock in with the hinge pin carrier as it closes. Another Germanly simple completely complex device. Awesome
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

patjones wrote:

I just realized you are missing the rubber that slips on the window lip around the perimeter of the window. Without that, here is nothing to force the latch to “spring” or cam over.
patjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

Rubber installed, spacer installed. Its def closer but the little grooved lever part wont go in far enough to let it latch. You can see it tweak the window frame as it tries to close the gap but I really dont want to force it.

The opposite window was also tight but not as bad, the glass already had a small crack and when I closed it all the way the glass cracked a lot more. Sad

The mounting holes and hinges are original but the popout and the frame are repro. Perhaps they are a bit off....

Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to close Long spoon popout latch. Reply with quote

patjones wrote:
Rubber installed, spacer installed. Its def closer but the little grooved lever part wont go in far enough to let it latch. You can see it tweak the window frame as it tries to close the gap but I really dont want to force it.

The opposite window was also tight but not as bad, the glass already had a small crack and when I closed it all the way the glass cracked a lot more. Sad

The mounting holes and hinges are original but the popout and the frame are repro. Perhaps they are a bit off....

If you loosen the three screws, there should be a half inch or so of adjustment. Looks like you need to slide the base of the latch as far towards the window as you can, then re tighten.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: