Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine and Transmission Mounts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Starting to gather missing parts for my sons 1974 Bay Window. It did not have and engine or transmission in it when we purchased it. I’ve sourced and engine and trans to go in it but all the mounts seem to be missing. I really don’t know what all is needed to hold them on the van so I’m wondering if someone would have to time to post a pic or list of what I should be searching for. I know I need a mustache bar but clueless on the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

There is a specific Type IV engine crossbar, it features a 'jog' in it, to clear the oil filter on the engine. That bar mounts to the body via two hanger 'cages', one per outer corner, three bolts per side to the body, two smaller center bolts attach the cage to the crossbar. The center of the crossbar has two holes, one for each side of the oil pump, two rubber bonded engine mounts pass a stud through each hole, and another stud rises out of the rubber bonding to pass through a steel mount on each side.

The total is seven pieces. Two hangers, two motor mounts. two engine to motor mounts, one crossbar.

As far as flywheel side, standard D bolt for starter side, plus two studs for the two lower mounts, some trans require shorter engine studs, some longer.
You may have to measure to find out the reach you need. They are all 17mm nuts as fasteners.

The trans mounts are a hanger assembly near the clutch, bolted to the body by rubber pucks. Two special bolts with lead-in nipples pass through it & the upper ears of the transaxle. I believe those are 15mm head IIRC.
The hanger has threaded bosses to retain them.
The front mount is a alloy strap bolted to the trans vertically, a special rubber bonded steel boss is trapped by the strap, the legs of that U shaped boss are fastened to the rear torsion area via a solid steel block & two vertical bolts.
I would search the samba classifieds for most of these, the mounts are still available new.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#10 is the "heavy hunk of steel". It bolts to the torsion housing. There are two styles, and I forget why, but the one with the dimples can be used either way (flipped upside down if you need the "flat" surface against the posts of the mount).

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

If you bought a complete type 4 engine it would already have the rear hanger installed because it requires quite a bit of engine tear down to get to it
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

You’re right. Looks like the ones mounted to the engine are there. The top mount for the trans is there in the engine compartment. So I need to source the mustache bar with frame brackets and the brackets and mounts for the front of the trans is all? Just trying to get a list together. I appreciate the help a lot. Here’s a couple of pics of what’s on the van.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Appears that you have the transmission carrier. What pictures we need now are of the engine and transmission you bought
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Okay. Here’s a couple of pics of the engine and transmission. Transmission is a 3 rib. Engine is out of a 1978. Guy that owned it pulled it to do a Subaru swap. It’s fuel Injected and we have been cleaning the injection stuff up(new hose etc), pulling the tins to check for airflow and clean things up a bit so it’s a tad tore apart but I do see the brackets that are mounted to the back of the case in between the fan shroud and the case.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Here’s my concerns

1) both engine and tranny look to used long and hard
2) tranny doesn’t match engine. 6rib needed.
3) tranny nose mount may not match bus
4) flywheel incompatible
5) does the bus have a fuel injection tank?
6) no airbox / AFM support bracket
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Wonder if the odd transmission hanger means its spent some time on a Dune Buggy? If you want to do highway speeds having a tranny geared to match your engine is helpful and its easier to connect the shift linkage if the tranny matches your model year. The clutch-flywheel-bellhousing-starter all need to match as well.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

I have a flywheel to work with the trans. All the stuff I have will work together. Have a lot of parts. The air box etc I have. Just took things apart to clean between the cooling fins of the heads and the cylinders. Doing clean up first then going to work on firing it up etc before it goes in the bus. 3 rib trans is the right one for the year. I’ve researched all of that in another thread and reading till my eyes bleed on here.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Well then I guess you know everything and therefore my help isn’t required.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Water.
Horse.
No drinky-drinky.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

I definitely wasn’t saying that I know everything. And yes I need all the help I can get. If I came off arrogant I apologize. I’m pretty sure you helped me originally saying I needed the different flywheel etc a few months ago and I took all that advice and used it then. I have two engines. One earlier and this one. Two into one type deal. Didn’t mean to make anyone mad and I appreciate all the help I can get.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Wonder if the odd transmission hanger means its spent some time on a Dune Buggy? If you want to do highway speeds having a tranny geared to match your engine is helpful and its easier to connect the shift linkage if the tranny matches your model year. The clutch-flywheel-bellhousing-starter all need to match as well.

I’m thinking that’s probably what that bracket thing is. Doing the best I can really with what I can find local for the time being. Really just want to get it movable on it’s own power to sort out other stuff like wheel bearings or if it needs steering components etc. it’s not going on the highway, lol. Probably won’t do 55mph. That would be kinda scary with everyone passing at 70 or 80. Figured we’d get things sorted out and maybe spring for a better trans if he likes the van. The engine seems tight although it looks pretty nasty. Has compression and the end play is all good. Trans is unknown. Might be junk. Who knows. Gotta start somewhere I guess.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Just asking but wildthings, what’s the buggie thing about? That rear hanger looks normal to me
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Just asking but wildthings, what’s the buggie thing about? That rear hanger looks normal to me

What I am seeing looks a lot like this

https://www.kartek.com/parts/type-2-bus-002-or-091...ssion.html
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

I saw that too. Just didn’t know what it was. More evidence that the tranny might have been abused
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I saw that too. Just didn’t know what it was. More evidence that the tranny might have been abused

It might have been regeared as well.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Put it all together and use it as a "going to town' Bus. Even with everything "right" these are too slow ( and dangerous) for modern driving conditions on intestates . That is why the PO went Subaru, I'm sure. Make sure you have a tachometer to keep an eye on the rpms. I've driven many a later Bus with 1600's , six rib transmission. They function and if you know what you are doing can be taken on state hwy trips.

Millions of miles have been logged by South American Bus's where most everything is/was "wrong".
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Transmission Mounts Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Put it all together and use it as a "going to town' Bus. Even with everything "right" these are too slow ( and dangerous) for modern driving conditions on intestates . That is why the PO went Subaru, I'm sure. Make sure you have a tachometer to keep an eye on the rpms. I've driven many a later Bus with 1600's , six rib transmission. They function and if you know what you are doing can be taken on state hwy trips.

Millions of miles have been logged by South American Bus's where most everything is/was "wrong".

That’s the plan. Just get it moving. Learn a few things and go from there. They are slow stock for sure. We have a Ghia also That we just built a bigger engine for so it wouldn’t be quite so dangerously slow. 1968CC, quite a bit more power than what it had. Fun to drive. Learned a lot on that one too. Thank goodness for books, this site etc. Haven’t built an engine for a long time so it was a great refresher project.

The guy I bought the trans from was a retired automotive teacher. Said he bought it from a guy but never got around to use use it. Older gentleman that was selling quite a few things. Kinda getting out of the hobby. At least thinning things out anyway. Seemed like a pretty honest guy. Talked for quite a while about cars etc. Taught some classes at one of the colleges too if I recall. Anyway, looks like I need to source the mustache bar and the stuff for the front of the trans. Hopefully I can find it fairly quick. Would like to have it running before the end of the summer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: