Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wife asked me to clean up
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

So the other day, my wife asked me to clean up all the old parts that were scattered all over the basement and if I would do something with these old busses laying about in the yard.

She thought it was starting to look like a junkyard.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“ of course, dear.”

And look at all the new space we have now.

Well shit! Aint gonna let perfectly good dry storage space go to waste.

For those of you playing along. The width of the fender flares requires at least 1 door to be removed. It would have been easier to pull both, but I can report that it will indeed go with just 1.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Ha ! That'll teach her. A row of those cinema seats in the van might be interesting. When I was a kid dad put two rows of airliner seats in our 70 something dodge van that we got from boeing surplus.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Ha ! That'll teach her. A row of those cinema seats in the van might be interesting. When I was a kid dad put two rows of airliner seats in our 70 something dodge van that we got from boeing surplus.

I didnt even think of that. When my company sent their old 737-300 models to the desert, I tried to score a row of cabin seats. They were a hot commodity and I missed out.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Laughing

i sneak things into barns. takes here a good month or so before she realizes somethings there.

however, in her defense sometimes you need to know when to say "when"

I have a 70 parts bus that really is a total roach. it's behind my shed and it too has turned into a shed....that wasn't it's purpose. it was suppose to go to the crusher about a year ago...i got busy and it fell way down on the priority list.

Our basement looked much like yours. I began sorting/organizing and got 85% of it neatly sorted....then got busy. I've come to realize that 1) I can't save it all and 2) I have no desire to save it all.

Gone are the days of me wanting to have 52 of each part for each car I own. When I get un-busy It's going to be time for a major sort and sell off. The older I get the more I realize 'less is more'

good job with the clean up!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

So does she ever venture into the basement? For laundry or a freezer or something?

Just wondering when she will figure it out and how many more you can now store.......

Nice work!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
So does she ever venture into the basement? For laundry or a freezer or something?

Just wondering when she will figure it out and how many more you can now store.......

Nice work!

Thats the fun part. I slide it in after she went to work, and now im flying away for work for a few days. I expect i will get a text by wed saying “WTF?!”

Or she will look out the back window and realize its gone from where she helped me roll it yesterday.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
When I get un-busy It's going to be time for a major sort and sell off.

Im not there yet. When your time comes for that, I will have truck and trailer ready. Short haul for some treasures.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

Im not there yet. When your time comes for that, I will have truck and trailer ready. Short haul for some treasures.

if you're serious, I will reach out to you first. the 70 is going to go away for sure as well as some other stuff. not even sure it would be worth your time but i'll give you first shot

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Nice work!

Thats the fun part. I slide it in after she went to work, and now im flying away for work for a few days. I expect i will get a text by wed saying “WTF?!”

Or she will look out the back window and realize its gone from where she helped me roll it yesterday.

Laughing Laughing

I just cracked up laughing at this which caught Sarah's interest in what I was reading. She doesn't see the humor, oddly.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

I am hoping to get un-busy within the next year. I am retiring at the end of this month, and one of the many many things on my list is to sell off most of the spare VW parts. I'll be keeping only things that are good spares for what I am currently driving.

And I will try REAL HARD not to make another offer on the sweet sweet '74 original owner Westy that has been sitting under a nearby carport for the last 20+ years...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Nice to have a drive in basement!!
When we bought this place, the barn was empty, and provided plenty of room for the bug and the bus. At max capacity, there were 2 mg midgets, three motorcycles and 7 bikes...the midgets got replaced with a project jeep. Now the boys and most of their projects are gone, but a claw foot tub my wife wants in a renovated upstairs bathroom has been moved in.
She's said no more cars till I get rid of one. I say no second floor bath renovation till we have a 2nd bath on the first floor....
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Whos gonna schlep that cast iron tub upstairs?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

I'll be keeping only things that are good spares for what I am currently driving.

And I will try REAL HARD not to make another offer on the sweet sweet '74 original owner Westy that has been sitting under a nearby carport for the last 20+ years...

that's the point i'm at. my mother croaked a few years back, in-laws moved etc and i'm just at a point where enough is enough.

i don't need a tote full of sliding door handles, or 75 clusters or....

when my in laws moved we ended up taking on a LOT. i'm now the proud owner of about 250 tons of equipment, boats and the list goes on. i've had enough of being a slave to this shit. time to move it on down the line....

then i bought a vanagon Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=743839&highlight=saving+the+84

so...i also have to work on saying NO

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Sometimes you don't own stuff, stuff owns you. I get it, Don. When my dad passed, my mom downsized from a 5000sf New Englander to a studio apartment. All that stuff ended up in 3 storage units. After a short period of time, you stop thinking "but I might use that some day" and start thinking "I'm sick of looking at this stuff."
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Whos gonna schlep that cast iron tub upstairs?
I'll hire someone. All the friend group that provides project help to each other have informed me they will have other commitments when it's tub moving day.
The current idea is to send it out to be reglazed...and I think I will have the delivery spot be upstairs!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

You replaced a few totes with an entire vehicle and called it a win. I like your thinking.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

This is the winning picture. This all by itself just says "She's not gonna like it."

Nice set up for sure. Laughing

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

I love the bus in the basement! And even better that you'll be gone for a few days!

As far as the stuff conversation, I'm starting to get there. Though I haven't done much of anything to really do anything about it, yet.

I don't have a huge stash, but I've got some stuff I don't need anymore from/for cars I don't have. My problem is I do feel like it's worth some money and there is probably someone out there that could use some of it. So it feels like a shame to just toss it. BUT looking at it all, and thinking about all the work it will take to get rid of it feels like a lot.

Hmmm... I have three weeks left at my FT job. I'm quitting to build my private therapy practice. I do have two entirely full days worth of clients right now, but it seems that I'll probably have a bit more free time in the few weeks it'll take to build that up. Perhaps that is when I should spend some time listing some of the stuff...

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

^^^ congrats going off on your own Dave. trust me you'll have hard times....like wanting to jump into that cast iron tub and slit your wrist hard times but you'll get thru it.

ImAddicted wrote:
my mom downsized from a 5000sf New Englander to a studio apartment.

good for her. i hope she's enjoying life. no need to be handcuffed to something that doesn't bring you joy.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wife asked me to clean up Reply with quote

Congrats to JT on retirement and Dave on his new venture.

I retired from W2 work in 2003 when the company yanked my deferred comp plan, apparently thinking I would work just as hard just to pay 50% of my pay In taxes. They took 5 more years to fire me, too, while I started my own thing.

It was the second smartest thing I did in life, behind marrying a high paid, roofing, sex addict Mrs Abscate.

“ I can’t right now Honey, I have to go look at a Bus….oh, okay, let’s be quick”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: