Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Rocket Industries 8-spokes
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Help with Rocket Industries 8-spokes Reply with quote

When I bought my 74 super beetle 6 years ago, it came with 8 spoke aftermarket wheels. These have Rocket Industries stamped on the back. They're 5.5x15. I believe these are often referred to as EMPI 8-spokes. I've had a vibration issue on and off since owning the car. I replaced all front end components when I first got the car and the problem persisted. It wasn't unsafe to drive, so I have just lived with it ever since.

Now that I've gotten most of the other little niggles addressed with the car, this one has come back into my mind. I decided to try swapping stock 4.5" steel beetle rims onto the car from my wife's 68 vert. Wow! Drove so smooth - no vibration. This had me convinced it was a wheel/tire issue on the 8-spokes. I decided to buy new tires since the old ones were worn unevely so I would have a balanced set to work with.

Upon getting the tires mounted on rims loose, I brought them back home and installed on the super. The vibration was still there! I usually use my 12V impact on lug bolts after getting them started by hand, and then finish off with a torque wrench. I was told not to do this, so I removed the front wheels and reinstalled entirely by hand and went for a drive, no vibration, or just a small hint but barely noticeable. That's one lesson learned.

The one question I have has to do with lug type. The chrome lug bolts that came with the car have ball seats. I've read that the EMPI 8-spokes use a 60 degree cone seat. But these are Rocket Industries, not EMPI. It's hard to tell from looking at the recesses on the wheels whether they are ball or cone. When I test fit the chrome lug bolts into a loose stock steel beetle rim, they can rotate around like a ball joint so it's obvious the seats match, but I can't do the same on the 8-spokes. Perhaps I've been using the wrong lug bolts all along too?

Thoughts?
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Rocket Industries 8-spokes Reply with quote

Here are some pics of my lug bolts and wheel. Hard to tell from the photos but hopefully this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Rocket Industries 8-spokes Reply with quote

Here is a way to figure out the shape where the log bolts seat. - Melt a candle, stick it in the area, let it cool there and then cut it in half. It will show you the shape. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Rocket Industries 8-spokes Reply with quote

I tried something similar. Covered the ball seat of the bolt with black sharpie marker and then progressively tightened and loosened it in the wheel. The following photo shows the mating area. Looks ok to me, no?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: