Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'68 Bus as a TOAD?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

I've done lots of searching and reading, but not really found what I'm after. While there are a number of posts about towing busses home from purchase, back from the body shop, etc., I have not found any about regularly towing a Bus behind an RV as a TOAD.

For those that don't know (I didn't until recently) a TOAD is the car you see being pulled behind an RV. 90% of the time, they're a Jeep or a Saturn.

Here's my issue: I have a 1968 Bus which is fully set up as our "around town" adventure mobile. I put my surfboards, mountain bikes, and kid car seats in it regularly. I also have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler which is fully set up as our "around town" adventure mobile... Now that we have a 3 year old and a 1 year old at home, it's hard to justify so many vehicles. The Bus trumps the Jeep in nearly every category with the glaring exception of it's towability behind our 24 foot RV.

So, I'm wondering what the feasibility of towing our Bus behind our RV is? Is the idea of towing a bus behind an RV for 500-1,500 miles/year insane? Many of the places we end up make having a second vehicle a must. Gaining access to a remote surf spot, heading to a local trailhead, heading into town...it's all better when you're not in a 24 foot RV.

And I know, I know, WHY?!? Our bus is a tintop Westy with an awning, a shower attached to the rack, etc. which could very well all be used as an RV. Unfortunately, my wife insists on a bathroom when we go camping...plus my 1 year old son eats more than all of us combined, so a refrigerator is nice.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]

Last edited by Cavilry6 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

I've seen it done in some Facebook RV groups I'm a part of. Personally I would find a way to lock the gear shift in neutral and just accept that it's going to accrue miles as you roll along.

My wife and kids prefer the RV, too.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Why in the world would someone want to tow around an expensive 50+ Year old rare vintage vehicle that’s probably worth a lot? Go get some $1500 light weight vehicle for that. One that is disposable.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Well, right. That is what the $4,000 Jeep was.

But money is tight with kids. And registration, insurance, and maintenance on another vehicle is not insignificant. Even on a $1,500 vehicle.

My wife has made it very clear, the Bus is never going anywhere. It's what took us on our first dates, it was the photo booth at our wedding, etc. So, if the Bus can never be sold, I'm trying to think of how to make it as versatile as possible for our needs. If it's not possible, it's not possible. Just thought I'd ask...

While I'm asking questions, any ideas on the weight of a tin-top westy? I can't find any reliable information.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199552&highlight=towed

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/d/san-diego-1998-suzuki-sidekick-jls-4x4/7332483553.html
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fatmatt650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud, could you put it on some sort of dolly or tow it backwards w/ the rear wheels raised? Also, you've probably thought of this but maybe a solar shower and small chemical toilet? Anything's possible if you want it bad enough. Sounds like a neat idea to me.
72 Highroof
86 Scirocco
"So much to do...so little time."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Cavilry6 wrote:
Well, right. That is what the $4,000 Jeep was.

But money is tight with kids. And registration, insurance, and maintenance on another vehicle is not insignificant. Even on a $1,500 vehicle.

My wife has made it very clear, the Bus is never going anywhere. It's what took us on our first dates, it was the photo booth at our wedding, etc. So, if the Bus can never be sold, I'm trying to think of how to make it as versatile as possible for our needs. If it's not possible, it's not possible. Just thought I'd ask...

While I'm asking questions, any ideas on the weight of a tin-top westy? I can't find any reliable information.

Dude…. If it has THAT much sentimental value, dragging it behind an RV would be akin to keel hauling your first born.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

I think you would want a way to put the towing force against the front axle assembly, but other than that I really don't see a problem with pulling it, assuming it does not have an automatic transmission. You just can't reasonably do this if you have an automatic.

I don't believe the stories of these rigs mysteriously jumping into gear at speeds, though you might want to make sure no cargo can possibly fall against the gear shift lever. The transmission doesn't need to actually go into gear for it to be destroyed, you just need something to put sustained force against the gear shift lever. If someone finds that their transmission is in gear and the transmission or engine is blown because of it, its more than likely because they failed to make sure it was in neutral before starting out.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Make up an axle carrier and go to it. A welder can do that for you pretty cheaply

Don’t fret the stories of those who neglected to put their Bus in neutral.
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Thanks, all.

I'm curious about the comments about the danger to the bus. I see a few posts here about "why would I do that" to a vehicle I have sentimental attachment to, but I don't know what y'all are referring to? Do what? Is there an inherent danger in towing busses via a tow bar? Because if you're just referring to towing ANY vehicle behind an RV, I've got enough experience to confidently say that it's a relatively safe endeavor.

I've towed our Jeep upwards of 3,000 trouble-free miles. No rock chips, no blown transmission, etc. The worst thing that happened was one of the magnetic towing lights fell off and exploded. Luckily it didn't hit the Jeep on the way down.

Unfortunately, I have a bit of an older RV with the 460 V8. We are limited to 3,500 lbs of towing so I don't know that a dolly or trailer would be possible. On the Jeep we're at about 3,300 lbs with it being flat-towed.

Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/d/san-diego-1998-suzuki-sidekick-jls-4x4/7332483553.html

That is essentially the same thing as my 1995 Jeep YJ. It works great, but it's an extra vehicle for a few trips per year.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

It’s never a problem until there’s a problem. Driving a big RV, you’re not likely to know there’s an issue with the vehicle being towed until someone passes you pointing excitedly at something behind you. You asked, I pointed it out, do what you want, IDGAF.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Cavilry6 wrote:

and then:

Cavilry6 wrote:
24 foot RV..

if money is tight i'd be selling the asphalt equivalent of a boat

can't help other than saying no fucking way would i be towing a bus behind a RV.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

My '73 spent quite a few years as the TOAD for the previous owner. It's nose is somewhat rock-chipped which I attribute to that. But otherwise I don't think any damage was sustained.

They had mounts welded on at the bumper for a custom-made tow bar to bolt to, though your '68's front undersides are different, so probably something for the axle beam would be better.

I personally don't have interest in an RV unless I was going to live in it full time, so I'd be trying to figure out how to make the Bus liveable on long trips, especially if money saving is the reason.

But it's your bus and you should enjoy it how you see fit. And I can confirm that at least one 1973 Bus was a TOAD for a good chunk of the 90s at least.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

it's just a bus, it'll tow just fine..
not all are $30ooo pavement burners.

not all women can envision camping w/o running water shower and flushable loo
especially with kiddos.

much to the amazement of the forum here. not all families can be in harmony in the vast interior of a bay window bus..

it's just a bus it'll tow just fine.
have a 'remove before flight' tag for the Shifter and IGN lock to

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Big Bad John has some TOW'd experience(s)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199552

and do NOT forget story.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303153

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218634
Big Bad John wrote:
It's a Diesel Pusher motorhome with a Gross Weight of 26,000 pounds. I pulled a chopped bug 1800 pounds without Aux braking. Couldn't feel it was there.

The Bus weighs 500 more pounds and I did look into Aux braking but I have decided to try it first and see how it feels.

I bought a used brake buddy but it didn't work out.

This is what our old set up look like.

We are itching to take the bus somewhere.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

*personally I'm not in the 'accidentally' falls/slips into gear camp. but there are posts out there like this

but be as informed as you can be and ask members experiences.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9151092#9151092

Hikelite wrote:
Rather than creating a new thread, I'm bumping this old one...

In my research, I also read this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425196

and this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652770

I have the same question as the OP. We have a big RV and want to pull the little RV behind it Smile

Since it's a Campmobile, and pushing 5000 lbs, I will be using a braking device as well. This is required by law in many states, and I think Canada.

My concern isn't so much with the towing connections, but rather the wear on the drive train.

What potential damage am I doing to my bus? I assume wheel bearings are wearing. What is happening inside the tranny? CV joints are obviously spinning. I accept tire wear too.

It seems to me that the bus would be subject to the same sort of wear as if I were driving it those same miles, except the engine would not be worn in the process. If it's in neutral, how much of the transmission is wearing?

I briefly considered a trailer, but that is a hassle I am not willing to deal with. I somehow got it in my head that we couldn't tow the bus, so I've been looking into buying another vehicle as a toad. I'd much rather pull my bus.

It's a '68, so no steering lock to worry about.
So can I really just put it in neutral and go?

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

This.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Cavilry6 wrote:

and then:

Cavilry6 wrote:
24 foot RV..

if money is tight i'd be selling the asphalt equivalent of a boat

Or maybe buy a 20' one to afford the Suzuki
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Bus as a TOAD? Reply with quote

Reread the thread please.

Op made it clear it’s between Jeep amd Bus and wife wants the Bus.

So, it’s the Bus. Unload the Jeep and bank coin on one of the UCSC kids this fall from back East who have to have. Jeep for college.

For 500-1500 miles a year, make up the axle style tow bar and have fun. I would also make up a light bar that you can put on the back of the Bus so you don’t fuss with wiring

Don’t be a dumba$$ and leave it in gear. Don’t worry about it “ slipping into gear”. Be happy. Don’t worry. Kiss your wife amd kids every day like it’s your last.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: