Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unresponsive reverse gear
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Unresponsive reverse gear Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I have searched the forums for self help.

Up until 3 weeks ago, I had reverse gear. Question. Is it possible to get no response from reverse gear with shifter in and holding in reverse position and have all 1st thru 4th gears working good?

Lowered 66 split with Benco "freeway flyer," 68 bug straight axles ( <1K miles on it), 68 bug backing plates, thing drums, Womack notched spring plates. Inspected shift rod and both couplers and all appears normal. Adjusted shifter stop plate. I have not pulled the shifter out for inspection as it works fine and didn't think it was necessary, however, I could be wrong. I called Benco and was told there's not way 1st thru 4th gear would work with reverse not working and it had to do something with the shift rod. Any advice for a fix is much appreciated. I am mechanically inclined, but this has me stumped. Thanks.

This is the only thing I found closest to my issue.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=741774&highlight=reverse+gear

It is what it is
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive reverse gear Reply with quote

Yes, it’s possible.

You can disconnect the shift linkage and locate reverse gear by moving the shaft with some vise grips to isolate the problem.
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive reverse gear Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Yes, it’s possible.

You can disconnect the shift linkage and locate reverse gear by moving the shaft with some vise grips to isolate the problem.

I'll give that a go and see how it goes. Thanks. Cool

It is what it is
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive reverse gear Reply with quote

Benco is lieing to you. Reverse has it own gear in the trans not related to the forward gears. It can be gone while still having forward gears. Many times if reverse is popping out of gear you can simply flip the reverse gear over to get to the un worn side of the gear and it's good to go again. But if it been done the teeth that are left are probably weak and could shear off much more easily since they were half gone to begin with. It is a pain to remove the gear but can be done by a home mechanic without going into having to rebuild the entire trans. You will have to pull the trans down but you don't have to go thru the hardest part of all the forward gears. Basicly the reverse gear will fall out when you press out the gear assembly from the trans case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive reverse gear Reply with quote

Thank you EmpiGT Cool

It is what it is
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive reverse gear Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Benco is lieing to you. Reverse has it own gear in the trans not related to the forward gears. It can be gone while still having forward gears. Many times if reverse is popping out of gear you can simply flip the reverse gear over to get to the un worn side of the gear and it's good to go again. But if it been done the teeth that are left are probably weak and could shear off much more easily since they were half gone to begin with. It is a pain to remove the gear but can be done by a home mechanic without going into having to rebuild the entire trans. You will have to pull the trans down but you don't have to go thru the hardest part of all the forward gears. Basicly the reverse gear will fall out when you press out the gear assembly from the trans case.

Also can happen if the snap ring breaks on the input shaft/reverse collar and if move down the shaft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive reverse gear Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Toolbox! Cool

It is what it is
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: