Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deck lid bend ( ideas ? )
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Deck lid bend ( ideas ? ) Reply with quote

I was going to post in the paint/body section, but thought Thing people may have more info.
My deck lid is bent at the right side hinge. The lid functions great but I want to fix the distorted metal. I can do bodywork and weld but this one is a bit puzzling to me & I am not sure how to approach . The hinge seems to be spot welded on the back side but not visible on the inside of the deck lid. Removing the hinge is going to leave a hell of a mess imo. The hinge area is not a good place to use any body filler as well. I am trying to keep all original parts on the car or I would just buy another lid.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid bend ( ideas ? ) Reply with quote

I know nothing about bodywork so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Appears the deck lid is made of 2 parts; an inner frame and outer cover. Consequentially, I believe there are two layers of sheet metal behind that hinge.

Perhaps you could drill some holes in the inner frame just behind the hinges and beat it out.

Or,... weld, studs and slidehammer it out.

The again,.......there's aways bondo Laughing
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid bend ( ideas ? ) Reply with quote

The guy doing my finish body work and paint removed my hinges to repair some damage. I didn't know he was going to do this but maybe it was the only way. We drilled and tapped the hinge and bolted it from the inside. There is filler under the hinge, although not ideal just showing it can be done.

Looking at yours, what if you cut/break/chisel the hinge off. Then cut the damage out of the door a little bigger than the hinge, make a patch that wraps around the edge, plug weld or just weld the hinge to the patch then weld in the patch and finish. I'm not a bodywork guy either by the way Rolling Eyes .
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid bend ( ideas ? ) Reply with quote

Post it on the paint and body section too. I think it is made up of two sections also, and agree bondo would be under stress there. You may consider the cost of repairing yours to the cost of a replacement. I’d rather have replacement part than a poorly repaired original. I too am not a qualified person to really answer your question. Good luck!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Deck lid bend ( ideas ? ) Reply with quote

Get a 8”-12” piece of angle iron to span the bent section on the back side, put a piece of fabric in between to avoid marring the paint, then place a thin piece of wood, the width of the hinge, again with a pad in between, then use a C-clamp to force the hinge back into the same plane as the rest of the lip. Go slowly as to not over bend the lid. You can also lightly work the surrounding metal with a hammer & dolly or block of wood.

Kinda a lighter version of this…
TDCTDI wrote:
In anticipation of engine extraction, I removed the rear bumper & upon closer inspection, it became pretty obvious that it was pretty tweaked. It looked like someone wrapped something around it & either tried to pull the vehicle or tried to pull something with the vehicle & bent the lower edge out by almost an inch.

Since this bugged me, I clamped the bumper to a section or 4” angle iron that I had & began to coax the bumper back into shape on the press.

After getting the face of the bumper straight & while it was still clamped to the angle iron, I used two adjustable wrenches to work out the waviness.

Here it is afterwards.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid bend ( ideas ? ) Reply with quote

Great info guys.
TDCTDI - I like that idea ! I think if anything it will greatly improve it if
it is worked slowly.
Kames - I will try your idea of drilling it out if the bending method does
work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: