Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque Spec for CV joints
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

I read a while back on this forum that 33 foot pounds is the proper spec for CV joints. However my Bentley manual says 25 foot pounds. i have a 1978 Bay Riviera camper.?
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

Several have had better luck with the Vanagon specs (33) than the bay specs (25). When I rebuilt mine a while back, I did 33.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

If you want them to come loose, torque them to the Bay spec of 24 ft*lbs, whereas if you want them to stay tight then torque them to the Vanagon spec of 33 ft*lbs. Lots of threads in the Bay forum about CV's coming loose, but few in the Vanagon forum even though the parts are the same and the Vanagon have more power and weigh more.
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

33 it is! Thanks.😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

I have never been sure why VW listed 24 ft lbs.

You can look anywhere for standard DIN torque specs for a class 12.9, 8mm x 1.25 bolt and the lowest I can find is 31 ft lbs....and that is for coarse thread ...8mm x 1.25. The same chart below lists 33 ft lbs for fine thread...8mm x 1.0

https://www.fastenermart.com/files/metric_tighten_torques.pdf

But...I do find torque specs for class 12.9....8mm coarse thread....with zinc plating....at 25 ft lbs. I know for a fact that this is because teh zinc plating has a slight lubricating effect if its oxidized in the least.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

Smoke tight and half a turn
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Laughing

that's as good as tighten it till it's loose again then back off 90*

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Laughing

Aw...dude...I know you know .....because you work on modern cars for a living. I am so damn tired of the freaking stretch bolts. About to do water pump, T-stat, hoses and intake manifold on my Golf.

Its an endless treadmill of new $7-10 bolts....and tighten them to X nm and then 90* further....and toss the old ones in the recycle!

Ray
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Aw...dude...I know you know .....because you work on modern cars for a living. I am so damn tired of the freaking stretch bolts. About to do water pump, T-stat, hoses and intake manifold on my Golf.

Its an endless treadmill of new $7-10 bolts....and tighten them to X nm and then 90* further....and toss the old ones in the recycle!

Ray

yea...kind of sad. that and many are made of aluminum these days.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

I confess it’s one of the joys of life to renew fasteners in a 20 year old Volvo but those BUFO hardware are also works of art. Luckily TASCA is pretty good pricing on this stuff.

I think way too many grope for the torque wrench instead of learning the art of fastener tightening by feel but that’s just one dumbass’ opinion.
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Laughing

A wise man on this forum told me that Two Grunts and Fart should be sufficient. 😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

Poptopcamper wrote:

A wise man on this forum told me that Two Grunts and Fart should be sufficient. 😎

no that's axle nut torque, not axle shaft Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

Poptopcamper wrote:

no that's axle nut torque, not axle shaft Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

Poptopcamper wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Laughing

Maybe two grunts and a mega squirt?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Jrh5r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

I had a cv joint come loose yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain. Had to pull over on the side of the road and use what bolts were left and limp home. About to go redo it now and add some medium loctite and check the other side. It was not a fun way to end the day, and don’t want that happening again.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

It happened to me once around 1986 at 2am on a dark road. That was the one and only time I’ve ever seen a loose cv. That said, torquing the cv bolts should be included in your maintenance schedule
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

Another easily searchable informative thread on The Samba. Many thanks!

I borrowed a torque wrench from the fleet mechanic at work this weekend so I could torque the heads on my beetle motor. I’m at 2000 miles on that motor now and figured I should get it done since it was gonna be nice this weekend.

While I had the wrench I decided that I should also torque the CVs on my bus. I recently rebuilt both axles using the Tiguan OEM VW boots and I’m hoping not to have to fuck with them for quite some time. Unfortunately I had one of the bolts stretch and break before I hit 33 fpt. 🤬

I decided to pull all the bolts out and see if I could access the broken part in the axle. Luckily I was and it threaded out by hand. 😅 I dug through my spare CV bolts and found a nice looking 12 pt bolt and installed it. Took an extra 15 minutes, but now they are all torqued to 33.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

don't know the problem. never had one come loose in 600,000 miles. Everyone using a good serrated / Schnorr washer under the bolt head?
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

agree with blue locktite, serrated washers, and a re-torque after a few miles. Had one come off on me prior to these steps as well. Havent lost one since.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Torque Spec for CV joints Reply with quote

I’ve never had any issues. Just figured since I’ve read about torquing them sooo many times I’d do it since I had the wrench for the weekend. I should just buy one.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: