Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What transaxle(s) can I safely use with a 36 horse motor?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpassi58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: What transaxle(s) can I safely use with a 36 horse motor? Reply with quote

I've been searching the forums all night and can't seem to find a clear answer. I currently am trying to convert my 59 Bug back to stock. I have my 36 horse motor on a stand ready to be reinstalled. In the car right now is a 1600, but I'm not sure what kind of transmission. I know the split case trans were used on these old 36 horse motors, but would it be worth it to try and find one to reinstall in the car to have the proper gearing? I don't mind having an unsynchronized first gear, and don't intend to drive it on the highway.

Ideally I'd like to continue to use the existing trans that is hooked up to my 1600, but I'm not sure if the gearing will overtax my 36 horse or not. I was foolish to throw out my old one in the first place! Any advice would be greatly appreciated about what I should do, or any tips on finding a good split case trans. Thanks!
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: What transaxle(s) can I safely use with a 36 horse motor? Reply with quote

61 to 64 trans will be closest to split case gearing.
These have the curved clutch operating cable lever...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What transaxle(s) can I safely use with a 36 horse motor? Reply with quote

Yes I’ve owned some ovals and liked the OE split case transaxle. The first gear whine is unique. I ran a 1600 hard in a 57 the transaxle took everything and asked for more. If you were a stickler for authenticity I’d say go with the split case otherwise use up to 66. Hardly anyone could tell the difference.😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: