Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear ended with lowbacks
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

Had my first collision in my 64 sedan this weekend. I was stopped at a light behind other cars and the person behind me must have been on their phone. Tapped my bumper at I think 5mph, no more than 10. At least I'm thankful to be alive and the car isn't too bad but boy it sure sucks. I got hurt worse than the beetle I think.

I'm 6'1" and the lowbacks didn't help. My lady in the passenger seat is shorter so she only has neck pain, maybe the backs gave her more support but they don't do much for me

For the car, I'm happy she only got a little damage. I can't turn my neck or get under the car yet but it seems like the bumper was only knocked in a little. The decklid just barely clips it so I can't get into the engine bay. And the battery must have pulled the starter wire. I get dash lights but no starter.

As for myself, not so lucky. Whiplash in my neck, back, shoulders. The other driver did a hit & run so I'm left to deal with the mess. NJ drivers suck. Anyone have some tips for a fast recovery and important things to check before I get the car back on the road? I've been seeing a chiro and I'll get the bug towed to a classic car body shop to get inspected
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

I hope you both fully recover. It can take a while.

I pulled out my rear bumper by wrapping a chain round the center section (which I backed with a 2x4), wrapping the other on a telephone pole, and popping the clutch. A few jumps and it was back to normal.

I put a single high-back seatback on my driver's seat. In a hard hit, it will tear off the seat tracks, but for low or medium, this should help. I chose the narrower headrest style, not the really side '68 style, which makes rear passengers feel claustrophobic.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

Hit and run, try to find and bury them...I'd go canvas any businesses at the intersection to see if there is video.
Document the damage before doing anything.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

having had a neck injury at a young age, it'll follow you for a LOOOOGN time

get it checked out now, seek and continue physical therapy.. the neck muscles need to be kept up and stretched correctly.

I can still only turn my head further one way than the other and have a stiff neck most mornings

this is one of those times that the safety engineers say, told ya so.. but everyone wants the lowback clean interior look.

hope you and yours heal well, best of luck. see a DR and see a physical therapist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

Hit and run, I’ve been thinking about a camera recently. Just last week I was driving a 74 bug when a guy pulled right out in front of me turning left in a brand new truck, he even waved. People are crazy. Wishing you full recovery
1960vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

Hope all turns out well. As for the VW, I got re-ended once years ago, a little tap, and found the frame on left side where bumper bolts attach was bent. Heat and hammer got it fairly straight.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

Glad I have late models with Hi Back seat in them. Yes the low backs look cool but when it comes to the safety factor not so much.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

Consult a physical therapist. Mainly one that does dry needling. Therapy is a long term fix.

Post pics of your car.

Get you some Scat highbacks for your ride.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Hit and run, try to find and bury them...I'd go canvas any businesses at the intersection to see if there is video.
Document the damage before doing anything.
I have to echo this 100 percent! There are cameras EVERYWHERE now. Only other suggestion, get yourself better before the car. One of my biggest regrets is not going after someone who rear ended me when I was 20...30 years ago. I've had neck issues ever since. At the time it seemed "OK" and I didn't want to be that guy and go suing someone...now I wish I was! Document the damage to the car and yourself well, you may need it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Hit and run, I’ve been thinking about a camera recently. Just last week I was driving a 74 bug when a guy pulled right out in front of me turning left in a brand new truck, he even waved. People are crazy. Wishing you full recovery
That happens all the time up here in southern New England. They wave a fake thanks, I'm more important than you before you can give them the finger...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear ended with lowbacks Reply with quote

I was rear-ended in my '63 ragtop on a SoCal freeway a few years back. The guy who hit me was travelling closer to 30 MPH, and gave me fake insurance info. I was also pushed into a car in front of me. I had cheap aftermarket bumpers (as you can see, they crushed like aluminum cans) - not that German made would have kept the damage to a minimum.... Best on your recovery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: