Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Structural Engineer cost ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

So we want to remove a load bearing wall in our 950 sq. foot house, I emailed a local Structural Engineer ( 5 min drive) to see how much it would cost to come look at the wall and give me a size on a LVL Beam that would work. The wall is 14' and i want to remove 12' leaving 1' on each side to hide my upper kitchen cabinets and the other side just so it looks even. So I got a quote $400 site visit fee, paid prior to visit and $200 for verbal advice on a beam. Is this the going rate ?

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

Probably not too far off.

Another approach... if you are in tract house, maybe a neighbor has done this, and you can use his example?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

Work with your code official

You can get FHA estimates using web tools and then clear it with the CEO.

Those fees are probably what an engineer needs to charge to keep,the lights on

You are probably looking at 2x10 at least and will have to watch the quality of wood you use,
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

That doesn't sound all that unreasonable for the services of someone with a diploma who supposedly is sticking their neck out to ensure your job is done properly, what's an hour in the dentists chair worth lately for example?

I'm not saying I approve of their fee schedule, but any professional service is going to cost you more than some regular guy with no education or training, it's the way it is.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

Diploma and a professional license
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

Doesn't sound out of line. But you will need something on paper to get the work permitted. Verbal consultations won't pass the mustard.

Now if you're just going without permits, a verbal consultation will help you decide what to do. LVL's are pretty dang strong and are rated to carry higher loads than traditional lumber of the same size. You're framing to support the LVL is also very important.

Don't skimp on the cripple framing before you take down the wall. You want it plenty strong so nothing moves when the load bearing wall comes down. But you need to think ahead so you can actually get your LVL in there!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

Now ad fees for getting the code guy to accept. Dunno what the laws are there, but the engineer signing a document is gonna charge more. Liability insurance is not like the bug you daily drive and tell Hagerty it's a 3k a year car in a locked garage...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

In my state at least, that’s too small a project to require signed engineering plans. I built a 432square foot addition squeaking under that limit once.

For $600, you should have a sign off at least. If you get thst, then the web tool is free and just as informative.

Code is minimum code, not a design spec. Be better than that

When I did my loading calculation for a roof span, the line between 40 psf and50 psf climate was 6 miles North of my house. I built over the 50 psf spec. The code guy signed off on my stuff without checking it after his first visit.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

What's this thing you call codes?
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

Reminds me of when people go to the ER and feel like they "didn't get anything" yet received a bill for it.

You are paying for what he knows, not necessarily what he does. Peace of mind would be worth it to me.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

I don't mind paying for an Engineer's service, i was just wondering if that was the going rate. I had another estimate $450 for a site visit, plus $500 for a verbal calculation or $450 site visit fee, $1000 for structural plans including the beam calculations.
I know I'm going to need plans to pull a permit to have a building inspector sign it off.
I'm 99.5% positive with all the info I've researched I know what size LVL beam to use and my bro in law is a licensed framing contractor who was the one that brought it up to my wife about taking the wall down.
We will do all the work. He tells me its gravy work and we can have the beam installed in a day.
I have to go the legal route and go with plans, Ill just pull a permit for owner/builder and at least save some cash on the city permit.
Well see how it plays out.

1963 Hard Top

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
What's this thing you call codes?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Got to love Vermont.......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
and $200 for verbal advice on a beam.

fuck that. he'd be putting it in writing for all that money.

this pisses me off...

600 bux for 30 mins of time with zero outlay of materials....and a verbal "yea, maybe" and so many other trades get railed with "that shop is too expensive" or "i can get it cheaper from...."

just saying...it's not you it's the general mindset of the public. say a carpenter is hanging a door or a 2 hour job at a shop costing 700 bux with a warranty then everyone loses their mind.

seriously though...i'd want some sort of paperwork

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

I work in NYC. Our senior structural guy bills 250 an hour. He's been at it for over 30 years, can do the calculations in his head and spit out an answer.
If you have a licensed framer on board, have him size it, add a 50% factor of safety for the beam.
Gotta say, the beam is the easy part, it's the load path to foundation and will existing foundation wall and footing deal with the now concentrated load? Trained as an architect, did my time in a steel fabrication shop, I do prelimininary beam calculations a lot, and lob the reaction loads and wtf to do with them to the engineers, as it's a pita to figure out. We specialize in fixing existing fucked up buildings.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

A 950 sq ft house is a single floor ranch, ceiling loads pretty minimal. Roof plus snow load if applicable
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

I just paid $675 for a structural engineer to do calculations for 7 beams. $275 deposit to have him come look. I received stamped reports, my permits were approved no problem.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
I work in NYC. We specialize in fixing existing fucked up buildings.

well now....how would you feel about working on a fucked up building in CT? i have a plan in my head how to fix it.... lmk if you're interested and i can p/m you some pix.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
I just paid $675 for a structural engineer to do calculations for 7 beams. $275 deposit to have him come look. I received stamped reports, my permits were approved no problem.

That’s a deal, I just need 1 beam. The room is 13”7’ x 14”10’. This is the last quote I received.
(Hi Dave,
Based on information you provided:
I can make site visit and inspect the existing framing and take some measurements.
Design the required beam and provide necessary detail (like beam to rafters or ceiling, etc).
For $800.
That exclude any structural plans or city permit processing work or fees.
Let me know if you have any questions.)

1963 Hard Top

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

It’s following the wanker finance world model, where if you have some expertise valuable in some venue, you suddenly think everything you do is worth that same value to someone.

A single beam in a home construction isn’t the same as trussing a cantilevered roof over a living space.

I had a local accountant quote me $4000 to reconcile books. I paid two high schoolers $100 each to do same.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineer cost ? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s following the wanker finance world model, where if you have some expertise valuable in some venue, you suddenly think everything you do is worth that same value to someone.

A single beam in a home construction isn’t the same as trussing a cantilevered roof over a living space.

I had a local accountant quote me $4000 to reconcile books. I paid two high schoolers $100 each to do same.

Yeah but sometimes they have you by the balls, I need stamped approval plans so the city inspector will give me a permit and sign off when finished.

1963 Hard Top

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: