Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The things people ask about my T IIs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

I daily drive two type twos, so I hear the basics such as ‘what year is it?’ ‘How long have you owned it?’ Or, ‘Do you mind if I take a picture?’
They’ll ask about my Westy ‘how many window is that?’ Whenever I’m out in the single cab most people seem to think I made it out of a bus.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

yeah it's alright.
it's not people being dumb it's people being interested.
well there's still a dumb one or so, but it caught their interest anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

I drove mine to a trade show last week and whenever someone would overhear someone talking about it with me they would ask "How many windows is it?"

It probably happened 2 or 3 times that I remember.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Not dumb questions, just interesting. I honestly think more people have pity on my old rigs than think they’re cool. I’m grateful they both run well enough to get into and go. Sometimes I’ll drive them both during the day.

If l’m having a bad day and don’t feel like being an ambassador I find not making eye contact works well.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

They are definitely a people magnet and everyone has a story. But I’m sure none of them have stories like you, Jeff. With all your XC adventures. Are you gonna try to make the 2022 Jerome Jamboree if they hood it?

We all need signs in our windows that say: $5 for you to tell me your VW story.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

It does get old when everyone wants to tell me about their wifes cousins in-law, that once owned a ghia and although they never actually saw or were around said VW, have a such a strong connection to it, that they feel its necessary to share it with me.

Usually they get a half assed “ ah huh”, “ gotta go now”, from me.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Had a guy once tell me all about his adventures in his bus with a stock 6 cylinder engine. Sometimes its hard to keep one's mouth shut. Smile
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Man yeah Rich, that’s the show at the top of my list. I can roll through CO on 160 and stop in at your gorgeous place. Then perhaps y’all can join me for the last leg of the trip into AZ.

I like the loop drive from I-25 at Trinidad through LaVeta.

Anyway, I’m planning on Jerome Jam 2021.

Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Hey! I got my first, uhh, tacos in a bus just like that.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Had a guy once tell me all about his adventures in his bus with a stock 6 cylinder engine. Sometimes its hard to keep one's mouth shut. Smile

Or have you heard the one about the friend that they have that used to have one, but it had a Porsche engine in it? Laughing Rolling Eyes

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Or have you heard the one about the friend that they have that used to have one, but it had a Porsche engine in it? Laughing Rolling Eyes

He probably told me the 6 cylinder was a Porsche, but I don't remember that for sure. Certainly several others have made the claim to me that their Type 4s had Porsche engines. I know I had a roommate in college who was very proud of his dad having had a Porsche engine transplanted into his bus, but as far as I know it was just the stock Type 4 VW engine.

I do know where there is (or at least was) a bus with a 6 cylinder Porsche engine, though because the bus has no VIN number or any other kind of identification, the owner had not (at least when I saw it) been able to get it titled. It was supposedly from Mexico and if so likely one of the kit vehicles that VW assembled in Mexico before they started building Combi from scratch at their factory there.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
Man yeah Rich, that’s the show at the top of my list. I can roll through CO on 160 and stop in at your gorgeous place. Then perhaps y’all can join me for the last leg of the trip into AZ.

I like the loop drive from I-25 at Trinidad through LaVeta.

Anyway, I’m planning on Jerome Jam 2021.

It’s great that they are holding it this year, I love that event! Unfortunately I can’t make it this year, although it will be my birthday weekend. We have a 2 week bus trip planned mid November this year. We are taking Miles to LegoLand, he is super excited. So far we are planning on Bluff Ut, Kingman Az, Joshua tree national park, we have in park accommodations at LegoLand in Carlsbad Ca, Santa Barbara Ca, Big Sur Ca and Monterey Ca. All camping except of time at LegoLand. All Ca state parks are already filled so we are gonna stay at private campgrounds which are a little more expensive but they have openings.

You are more then welcome at my house anytime. Just holla.

Every time a guy tells me about a bus with a Porsche engine in it. I tell them all ACVWs have Porsche engines in them because they were designed by Porsche.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Thank you Rich. As well, if you are ever in the southeast, more than welcome here.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

I get a lot of folks that are curious as to the pickups. They are generally startled when I say that no, I did not chop it in a conversion, and that VW made these this way.

We can all thank the Chicken Tax for CONTINUING to keep German trucks out of the US market. So stupid. The rest of the world has loads of them.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

I mostly just get notes under the wiper asking if it's for sale.

Lots of people wave though, or give you a peace sign/thumbs up which is cool. I always enjoy returning waves.

One of the strangest but also most interesting stories happened while I was working at an engineering company a few years ago.

One of the other technicians, who was a guy in his mid 60's was always asking questions about the bus. (How long I'd owned it, what I'd done to it, etc etc)

One day we had a company party, and the Bus was parked out in the lot. He came up to me and asked if I could take him for a ride. I obliged.

We drove down this road that winds through a big park, along the side of an enormous ravine, with places you could pull off and park to have a picnic.

He had me stop at one of the places and then he just sat there for a minute staring off into space.

Then he told me a story about how his very earliest memory was coming to this specific picnic spot, on his mom's lap in their late 50's bus. And how they went to this spot every Sunday throughout his childhood, first in split window busses, then bay windows, and finally vanagons until his parents passed away.

He told me he'd never been able to afford a Bus himself, and thanked me for giving him a ride.

I think about that guy, and his story all the time.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

“Are you the original owner?”

“How many miles are on it?”…. “Are those the original miles?”

“Is it for sale?” “You want how much?!?” “I shoulda kept mine.”

I just got pulled by a cop who’s only reason to pull me over was to ask if my Thing was for sale.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

When I took Ducky out for the first time in almost a decade a few weeks back, a Volvo P80 (love the looks of that car) was coming in the other direction. I thought the driver was going to fly out the window - waving, grinning bigger than I was, and honking his horn. He ended up spinning around and following me to the gas station just to chat. Had no VW stories, just another car guy wanting to talk. Those are the cool ones. That, and when a 5 year old walks by one in a parking lot and says "hi" to the car. Back when I had a Beetle, I had a little one about 3 coming running up to it an hugged it. There's something "human" about them.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Had a *big man* drive up to me as I was getting out of the bus at the park. Wife and kids in the car. He demanded that I call him and tell him when it's for sale. Told him its not for sale. He continued to demand. I kept telling him it isn't for sale.

Girl rolled her window down in traffic, a quiet evening cruise. Told me she likes my van. I almost said THIS VAN LIKES YOU, TOO. But I decided to just say thanks. lol

My least favorite is people hootin and hollering at me in busy traffic trying to find out what year it is.

Or when the crackhead at the gas station asks me if I'd ever think of selling it.

Like someone else here said, on bad days or days when I don't feel like being an ambassador, I avoid eye contact and largely ignore the hoots and hollers.

I also only usually wave at other ACVW's or other classic cars. Lots of them come out in the spring summer and fall on Route 66 in Tulsa. Lots of people wave or give me the peace sign - but I don't really identify with hippie culture. I just give a weak smile or wave to be polite if I feel like it.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

When I got my bus a few years ago, I was expecting a lot of conversations at gas stations and such. It still happens, just not as often as I thought. I think it's because people don't expect me to be the owner. I'm 19, so I think they assume that it belongs to my dad or I won't know anything about it. Honestly the weirdest thing I've had multiple people tell me is "Oh you should paint it like the Mystery Machine!".
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Did a a tour of North America in my 73 Panel Van following the Pro Windsurfing competition back in the early 90s covering about 25,000 miles in a year and a half. Lot's of questions and interesting conversations had along the way - from deserted rural roads to downtown large cities and everything in-between.

A couple that come to mind were: a Texas Ranger at an inspection point about 50 miles from the Mexico Border asking me "what's in the compartment under the bed" as he gripped his gun more tightly and the other was a Cop in NY who clocked me at 80 mph on radar but couldn't believe it so he followed me for a few miles to make sure his radar gun wasn't broken. Laughing as he walked up to the window, he asked "what do have in this thing, a Porsche engine"?
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: