Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fior I Bua - [email protected] - Joseph Borkovic
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: unamijoe
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: June 11, 2023
TheTravelingPenguins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Fior I Bua - [email protected] - Joseph Borkovic Reply with quote

Where to start? Doesn’t fit in a nutshell.
We bought our VW 1972 bay window bus back in December 2020. It was in the shop getting worked on for 5 months. We have plans on taking the bus across the country for an epic road trip and we shared such intentions with the seller. The seller pointed us towards a selection of buses that, in his opinion, would be suitable for the trip we had in mind and also could work with our budget we had available. We picked one we felt an instant connection with. After working out price and some details it was time to sign the contract.
Here it starts to get strange. The contract contains a paragraph on how to resolve issues between buyer and seller and that you, as buyer, should not under any circumstances discuss issues you have with the object bought and/or the work performed with anyone else, but the seller. I wondered but signed the contract and returned it to the seller. I had to ask him, several times, for a signed copy back for myself until I finally received one.

In the process of selling us the bus, the seller mentioned that all the work would be documented with pictures and videos for references should we need mechanical work done later on. He said he would make these available to us but in all of the 5 months we never received any pictures/videos up until the very end (select pictures only). The seller also told us verbally that he bought a big bin full of brand new tires because they’re hard to come by these days and so he would put a set of those new tires on our bus. The new set, including a spare, is also mentioned in the contract. However, we never got them. Instead, a set of 20 year old ones (we checked the DOT numbers on the tires, which were all installed facing inwards) is what we received. All of them showed cracks in the old rubber and were deemed unsafe to drive, as per inspection. Oh and the spare tire… is non- existent. The same way the fire extinguisher, also mentioned in the contract and paid for is non-existent. We also paid $200 for a kill switch, which we still can’t find.
The day the seller sends us the message that the bus is ready for pick up, he also mentions that there was extra work that needed to be done and that he required the 15% overcharge should any additional work arise, which was stated in the contract. However, there was no communication during the whole 5 months of extra work executed, nor was there a heads up given that the seller would need the 15%, to the tune of $2300, to address the extra work. We still don’t know what that “extra work” was. We think it is unprofessional to deliver the bill of extra costs the day of completion when you’re all excited about receiving the bus.

The day of pick up we spent 3 hours standing around watching the seller and his mechanic trying to fix the emergency brake, a hole in the floor that (although mentioned by me a couple of times before) was still not addressed, trying to find out which keys goes with which door and spray lubing the keyholes and also trying to fix the sliding door which would not close properly and still does not, to this day.

While standing around we started to look at the bus a little closer, we realized that none of the door and window seals were replaced, as per the contract. One of the vent windows almost fell out of its frame as there was no pin (rusted out and dissolved) to hold it in place. In my opinion, none of the seals were looked at or even touched other than the front window (replaced by seller due to cracks in glass) and one of the side windows which we purchased ourselves and had the seller install it.
We had a small time frame to get the bus home before the rain sat in. The vehicle had its pop top missing as we brought it home months earlier to overhaul hinges, wooden brackets, and to give it a complete new paint job in and out. Because the takeover took unexpectedly longer we were suddenly facing a drive in the rain. I guess the seller felt bad and gave us a free vehicle cover to protect the van from the rain which we still can’t use as the seller instructed us to wait at least a month for the paint to off-gas.

Fast forward….
We get the bus home and park it in our driveway with emergency brake pulled only to watch it roll away on a 8% grade. At this point we are very disappointed. So I pull the rear wheels off in an attempt to fix the parking brake myself only to discover that the mechanism for the parking brake was held together with wire twist ties and a washer. The second time we take the bus for a short drive within town, we made it 5 minutes into the drive when I couldn’t shift into 3rd or 4th gear anymore. Drove the bus home in second gear and parked it again. Made some adjustments to the shifter plate which solved the issue. The third attempt to drive the bus across town, the brakes begin to seize up. I called my wife to bring tools. More adjustments were made. Makes me wonder if anyone actually had a look at those brakes? Now concerned about the overall state our bus is in and it’s safety, we signed up for an inspection.

The inspection came up with the following issues.
- Rear right tail light not working
- Both brake lights not working
- Parking brake not working
- All tires show cracking and ply not suitable for this weight/ type of vehicle
- Left tie rod ends have play
- Steering link joints have play
- Two CV boots are cracked, all of them are brittle
- Heater exhaust pipe rusted through and leaking
- Left side cylinder base gasket leaking
- Fan belt old and cracked
- Brake fluid contains too much water
There were a few other minor issues which are easy fixes.

This weekend we took our bus on her first real road “test” trip to Tofino and as you would expect we hit some wet West Coast conditions. It is no surprise… 4 window seals are leaking and the water is dripping down the brand new wooden door panels and across the newly installed floor.
Interestingly enough, when we came home and the bus rolled out of the driveway, I sent the seller an email addressing all my concerns (not beating around the bush) to which he replied they could not install a new seal on the sliding door as this would prevent the door from closing properly and in general the seals don’t leak and his employees are not slaves and “that when people changed their perspective, from one of disappointment to one of happiness, for how they see things, it was in that shift that their life changed… so miraculously it is with an old VW bus”.
Not counting on miracles we approached the seller and asked him to fix some of the more pressing issues which he refused to do all together (because he was upset that we were upset with him) although it states in the contract “Vehicle comes with parts/labour warranties on any new work performed, as applicable, generally 30 days”.

In our attempt to resolve these issues with Joseph Borkovic, aka FIOR I BUA SUSTAINABLE TRADING LTD, aka ORGANIC & SUSTAINABLE TRADING CANADA, aka Earth Spirit Refurbishment & Restoration, aka EARTH SPIRIT PUBLISHING LTD., aka crankcrankvrooom(.)ca, we realized this man, who called us greedy, reiterated his employees were not slaves, implied we might have buyers remorse and are not entitled to an instant anwser and “how dare you attack anyone is such a manner with your self-importance” (when I messaged him again about the $700 tires that needed to be installed for our upcoming trip) was not going to work with us amicably.
He had offered to resolve the issue by buying back the van as long as we put it back in the condition we first saw it in, knowing that we already had begun extensive work on components of the interior (reupholstering, fabricating new door panels, fiberglassing and repaint of the pop top and refabricating a whole new canvas for the pop top amongst numerous other purchases that were made to refit the interior to the tune of $5000).

NOTE: the positives…bodywork looks great and we made it to Tofino and back without incident (aside from water leakage and emergency brake failure) with many peace signs from VW van lovers along the way. We love her and will restore her to her full potential.

Sentiments,
“to be clear, take care of your own attitude and affairs, on your own greedy wavelength
Genuinely, Joseph”
And that’s what you get for $22,344

Bottom line, buyer beware!!!
Sacha & Kara
unamijoe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fior I Bua - [email protected] - Joseph Borkovic Reply with quote

I don’t like to disparage anyone, we’re olde school and deal with matters face-to-face.

Further, these good folks did NOT buy this Westfalia through The Samba, they were recommended to us by our other happy customers, as this 1972 bus was NEVER advertised, that said - we shared an experience - exchanging money and goods.

I believe both parties benefitted, or at the very least could have the maturity enough to see the good and positive and genuine intention to do the right things… work things out. But some folks just can’t or won’t!

That said, here is our version of this ‘history’… with no fact misrepresented nor taken 'out of context', this is an honest response...

These folks have been offered a full refund for this Westfalia - they refused, and instead went travelling while bad-mouthing our work of their new camper purchase… a lovely 1972 VW Westfalia, that extensive mechanical work and well over $20,000 of bodywork alone, because when we opened up some of the panels, it was horrific… but a deal is a deal, so we swallowed this painful discovery to honour the Folk’s lower budget… because once you start bodywork, it is only fair and honest to finish it properly!

An interesting sale… She cried when they bought the van, he cried when they picked it up… right before he started yelling at our mechanics because the corner vent window wouldn’t open (we lubed it, and right away it worked again). This van had previously belonged to a factory-trained Volkswagen mechanic and certified Bosch technician, we refurbished it from his experienced hands...

The Folk's first offer was to get a restoration for $15,000 CAD (~11,000 USD), which was unrealistic… that should’ve been the first clue… and after the contract for all work was agreed, the Folks keep adding more NEW work as the weeks went on, that had not been discussed or agreed upon... further, they wanted this van finished "early" so they could get the interior ready for their big trip... anyone in the business knows that surprises will always come up when working on a 50 year old mechanical system and metal body, but in spite of this the Folks insisted on an exact finish date, we should've simply said, 'No.'

We were warned (by a German customer) not to deal with the Suisse, that they were notoriously arrogant, rude and ultra-cheap. Well, we do not ascribe to stereotypes or discriminate against anyone, as we accept all peoples (most of our van Buyers are gay couples) so, we did not heed this bit of “advice” to steer clear… boy, we were wrong and found out exactly why we were warned...

We offered these good folks, once they started yelling on delivery, ALL their money back.
They refused and drove off in their new camper. There are always final tweaks and adjustments, that come with spending time with, and driving, the customer's new bus... it's not that we refused to do the extra work, NO... we refused to be profusely berated and abused.

And, then again, when they complained every few days about how horrible the work was, they again were offered a full refund! If we were so AWFUL and the van “no good”, then I question, ‘WHY did you not accept your money back??’ Hint: it was now a pretty awesome Westfalia!

Funny thing, as a friend of our mechanic saw them in Tofino a month later, with the 1972 Westfaila… that’s a funny thing because Tofino is approx. 4-5 hours drive there, and another 5 back, on some fairly rough roads in between… the van got them there and back again, for a week of camping... but it was “no good”!

OK, again after insults and mounting accusations, we offered ALL their money back.

When these folks first came they wanted a LOW budget van.
We delivered more than promised in our contract, but the work was not appreciated, nor expectations honestly realistic.

I will repeat, we offered ALL the money of their small budget back, but they refused and kept this groovy van AND then planned to drive across Canada. We knew this in advance, so we put the kind of work into this 1972 Westfalia, that could make a trip such as this [… it certainly made it over the mountain roads to the island’s West Coast of Tofino ]

The Folks got a great looking all NEW bodywork and paint bus.
The Folks got a great running and great driving camper van!
The Folks got free and extra work included at NO charge… because olde school, a deal’s a deal.
The Folks got a free high quality protective van cover.
The Folks were offered a new set of tires… free (though NOT included in original budget).
Finally,
These good Folks got offered ALL their money back.

The Lesson, here… is that we will never again put in 5 months tremendous refurbishment effort to sell a van to anyone not appreciative of the months of work it takes to refurbish these 50 year old vintage vans… on a wokester budget we will never do work for emotionally dishonest and self-indulgent (in)humans.

In my heart I sincerely hope the best for these Folks.
But Sacha and Kara have been dishonest, unappreciative.

Take some responsibility for your own decisions and life.
What gives that you can libel and slander good, honest working trades people??

We have a complete photographic record of all the bodywork, paint preparations with rust free body and new paint... leaving no doubt as to the value received in kind... photo posted is near the end of work during reassembly phase (everything had been removed, fixed/painted and replaced).

We also have a stack of positive ‘happy camper' testimonials from many good folks, which we are happy to share with anyone who asks!

After all is said and done, we're all in it together - on this one blue planet Earth - there must be a way to put foolishnesses aside and come together eye-to-eye!?

Peace be with you.
Genuinely, Joseph and the VW boys
Vancouver Island

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: