Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

V-Belt size?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: V-Belt size? Reply with quote

So I bought this belt today and it’s too small yet that’s what it calls for the Alternator model. Supposed to be a wider belt for this model. I had to put the old one back on its narrower 3/8 vs 1/2”. I think I need a longer belt than what the parts store says . Any ideas would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: V-Belt size? Reply with quote

it should take vw part # 111-903-137-e 73-79 beetle .
11.3mm x 912mm. the one you got looks slightly wider 12mm and shorter. 911mm . not much . maybe enough to make a difference? is the old belt marked?
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: V-Belt size? Reply with quote

I use a 890mm belt on my engine with alternator.

I find belt size varies from engine to engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: V-Belt size? Reply with quote

Try Gates 7355

9's kinda look like 7's
samm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: V-Belt size? Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies,When I put the belt on I had to pull all the shims out and it still wouldn’t work.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: V-Belt size? Reply with quote

samm1 wrote:
Thanks for all your replies,When I put the belt on I had to pull all the shims out and it still wouldn’t work.

Pulling shims out is what you do to make the belt tighter. Do you mean you put all your shims in between the pulley halves, and it still didn't fit?
That's exactly what has happened every time I try to put on an 11.3x912 belt on my alternator. Good old 9.5x905 works fine, except
for the new Continental brand belts (made in India) of that size, which are noticeably smaller than the previous German belts of
the "same" size. The India ones do not fit. The Gates 7355 also is good. My local FLAPS were gouging for that belt, wanted
almost 3 times what I paid Rock Auto for one.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: V-Belt size? Reply with quote

Kree, I’ve found the exact same problems as you’ve described. New Continental belts suck. The alternator belt, and the generator belt.

I settled for a Gates 7355, but even that belt doesn’t sink down low enough in the alternator pulley. It rides too high, which reduces the fan spin a bit. But, at least it fits and offers the proper 5/8 inch slack at the midway point between pulleys. Also, I don’t overheat, so it’s okay, I guess.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: