Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie checking in introduction and hello
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceKitteh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Hello all you wonderful VW fan folks,

I'm new here and hunting for a Volkswagen Vanagon. The good people at the VW Vanagon Classifieds Facebook Group politely pointed me this way so that I can listen to your advice. I had initially found a 1984 VW Vanagon and thankfully they saved me some heartache by pointing out potential hazards and rust spots. Ultimately moving me away from a bad VW first experience. I'm Addiison Breaux on FB btw:) so if any of you FB group folks are also on this website and reading this: thank you.

Where should I begin research wise? My budget is 7,500.00 dollars. I've noticed the classifieds section here has a much better array of VW's than say Cars.com, Autotrader, and CarGurus. (the search tools I was previously using)

I look forward to learning from you all. If anyone is a glider/sailplane pilot and wants to chat please feel free. Or even better if any of you wise folks have any advice that you wish to bestow unto a newbie such as myself I would really appreciate that:)

Take care and peace,

SpaceKitteh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Moved to Vanagon forum from Feedback forum.

Welcome.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Welcome! as you mull this over with a budget of $7,500 don't immediately discount a vehicle with SOME rust... panel seams, etc. not everybody can buy collector quality on the first go-round and you'll have just as much fun in one with some rust as not. i drive a rusty one and have just as much fun as anyone else and it ain't gonna fall apart.

but yeah, it's great if you can get a rust free one, don't get me wrong!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness!

The Samba Classifieds are indeed the best place for a Vanagon newbie to shop and buy. No guarantees, but most vans found there will have been owned by Vanagon enthusiasts who took better care of them, and who know more about that particular vehicle. The prices will reflect that, too, but may still be cheaper in the long run than a supposed 'barn find' of questionable heritage and condition ...

Here's a great place to start:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236040#6236040

Pre-purchase lists, Post-purchase lists, differences between model variants, tons of Buyer's Guide info to get you started on the right foot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

SpaceKitteh wrote:
I'm new here and hunting for a Volkswagen Vanagon. ... I had initially found a 1984 VW Vanagon and thankfully they saved me some heartache by pointing out potential hazards and rust spots. Ultimately moving me away from a bad VW first experience.

Where should I begin research wise? My budget is 7,500.00 dollars....

I see you wrote "Vanagon" but are you looking for a passenger van type Vanagon or camper type or?

Craigslist can be a good source. Also, check this thread here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=6240

And:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Unless you have your heart set on a specific model, use search terms that allow you to be open to viewing as many various types and years of Vanagons as you can.

In your price range, expect a Vanagon camper van to have issues requiring repair.

I would take a well maintained Vanagon with some rust over one with nice paint but unknown history, questionable maintenance etc.

IMO, certain things like the '85 + improved slider door, '86+ 2.1 engine, Westfalia camper interior vs ASI, can be over played, for lack of better term. In other words, look at every van you can. A nice ASI could get overlooked.

All that said, as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for". Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

What’s your goal? Will this be your only vehicle daily driver, a weekend camper, or something you want to drive around the world? Is that your “all in” budget or do you have extra to address deferred maintenance and repairs? If that’s your all in budget, you need so set some aside. In that case your purchase price might be $5,500-$6,000. Every Vanagon needs something right away.

These days even $10,000 does not buy much of a Vanagon but you can still find deals. Place a wanted ad on Craigslist and you might be surprised what turns up. Don’t shy away from pre 86 vans. That’s where you might find a better deal.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

If you haven't yet narrowed down your preferences as far as models, years, features, etc., consider checking out a local VW show, esp. a campout. There you'll see a wide variety of VW Campers of all vintages and configurations, and proud owners who will likely pop the engine lid and talk your ear off. You'll learn more on a Saturday afternoon than months of online tire-kicking.
https://campwestfalia.com/vanagon-westfalia-resources/#camp
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Welcome!

One of my favorite quotes on this forum, from jimf909:

"No camping trip was ever harmed by seam rust."

With your budget and your part of the country, don't let a little rust scare you away.

However, be advised that not all purchases are success stories. Recently this Samba member bought a bargain dream van and had it all go to hell pretty rapidly:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750967&highlight=

I'm usually the one blowing sunshine for prospective and new owners, but this story stuck with me. Be ready for anything.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

do keep in mind that the newest of these are 30 years old
and that the lower end of the economic scale ie sub $10k
have either been neglected, driven hard or both.

if your not capable of doing (or learning) it your self and have to rely on others or shops for tools and service expect your budget to double..

sure there are some rare scores out there.. and if you are one of those gifted with good fortune and luck in life.. try the state lotto.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Hey welcome SpaceKitteh...
My thoughts are probably the usual basics....learn about the basic changes over the years of production and decide what you'd really like to have, vs what you can deal with (i.e. upgrade to on your own).
I guess the only thing I'd like to have on mine that would be really hard to upgrade to is the more modern blade style fuse box. I have an '85 vehicle and I think the fuse box was changed to blade style in '86 but folks here will know for sure.

But everything can be upgraded with money/work etc. 2wd to syncro, tin top to pop top camper etc.

So in the end, look for the least rust, least mileage you can find/afford. Balance out all the wants and needs vs costs and goals.

Don't discount the odd paths to find what you want. I called a Canadian website that didn't look very active but I figured what the heck...that led to a local phone # referral and yet a 3rd # to call back in Canada. I actually never looked at craigslist, samba adds, eBay or any other source.
So be open to serendipitous conversation. Initiate these conversations. Possibly calling vanagon related businesses you might learn of a clients vehicle that's for sale or in process of a referb for flipping.
My truck was a Canadian guys daily driver who imported higher end vans / trucks from Europe. I didn't want a super fancy TriStar or syncro like what he usually sold but to a flipper everything is a commodity and has a price on it.

It helps to be obsessive compulsive.
Good luck to you !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck your hunt!
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

With your budget I'd stick with a tin-top. How many people are going to be camping in it? Assuming it's 1 or 2 folks a tin-top works fine and you can get a much more reliable one for the amount of money you can afford.

We actually had our greatest VW adventures in a 1970 tin-top bay window. Drove the length of Africa, took numerous trips game viewing throughout southern Africa. I'd trade in my '89 syncro Westy to be able to go back in time and do it again.

On the subject of a Bay window. The 1600 cc air-cooled motor is dead simple to fix. Yeah they are slow, but they actually handle rough roads and snow better than a 2wd Vanagon.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I guess the only thing I'd like to have on mine that would be really hard to upgrade to is the more modern blade style fuse box. I have an '85 vehicle and I think the fuse box was changed to blade style in '86 but folks here will know for sure.

86 was the changeover year. I’ve heard this argument before and don’t understand it. I also have an 85 for years and have changed exactly zero fuses. Buy a handful of the old style ones, toss them on the glove compartment and forget about it. Some of these older quirks are great reasons you can get good deals on older vans. Besides I’d much rather have the superior older headlights vs worry about fuses.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
Crankey wrote:

86 was the changeover year. I’ve heard this argument before and don’t understand it. I also have an 85 for years and have changed exactly zero fuses. Buy a handful of the old style ones, toss them on the glove compartment and forget about it. Some of these older quirks are great reasons you can get good deals on older vans. Besides I’d much rather have the superior older headlights vs worry about fuses.

I guess.my only reason is visual sence of modern vs antique.
In practice the old fuses work fine.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:

On the subject of a Bay window. The 1600 cc air-cooled motor is dead simple to fix. Yeah they are slow, but they actually handle rough roads and snow better than a 2wd Vanagon.

i'm not doubting this but can you state why? is there something in the differential that is limited slip vs open? just less weight overall? better wt distribution?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie checking in introduction and hello Reply with quote

I can only base it on my years of experience owning and driving a Bay window on REALLY bad roads in Africa during the 1970s. (The roads there are much improved now so it's kind of funny to see all these monster "Earth Roamers". People think that they need to spend $1/4 million on a rig to travel in South America or Africa.) We rarely saw any over-landers back in the day, maybe a few Unimogs and British Leyland trucks but usually went weeks without seeing another westerner.

The best rig was a young French couple in a Citroen Deux Chevaux we met in the middle of Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of the Congo.) When they got stuck in the mud, they just hired a couple of bystanders, lifted it up and moved it. Voila!

On the other hand my old 2wd Westy couldn't handle snow at all and needed a lot of help in deep sand. So no technical wisdom, just lots of miles on bad roads.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: