Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trip
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Road trip Reply with quote

I apologize if this doesn’t belong in here, just looking for some quick answers from reliable members.. driving in a 58 kombi w/original trans..what’s the best way from Portland OR to LA? Anybody out there make the same drive with similar conditions/ circumstances? I wouldn’t be so paranoid but I just got the bus and have my son with me. Trying to stay close enough to the gas stations but off the busy roads just in case lol..Thanks for the info and advice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Stick as close to the coast as reasonable, and enjoy the scenery. The stretch in california between big sur and san louis obisbo on highway 1 is particularly nice.

Make sure your road trip kit is stocked with a AAA card, and you are good to go.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Hey Lind, is Hwy 1 near Big Sur open to through traffic. I seem to remember a recent landslide, but perhaps they got it repaired?

I also highly recommend hugging the coastline on smaller backroads and highways for a much more scenic, slower and relaxed (although longer) adventure in an old Bus. Your Bus will be much happier at a slightly slower speed and will be less stressed. Amen to the AAA Plus card membership, a charged cell phone, a decent set of tools and a few typical wear/breakdown parts.

Have a great time, take lots of photos and post up your story/photos on this thread!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Two years ago I did this drive in reverse, LA to PDX. We repurchased our ‘65 from they guy we sold it to ten years prior. I flew down and drove back solo.
I did I-5. I cruised 55-60 mph in the right lane. The drive took three easy days.
I had AAA Plus, tools, and basic spares. I also joined VanAlert.
I wish I could of had more time and driven the coast.
Still, it was a lot of fun.
Have a good trip.
Cheers,
Dave
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hey Lind, is Hwy 1 near Big Sur open to through traffic. I seem to remember a recent landslide, but perhaps they got it repaired?

I also highly recommend hugging the coastline on smaller backroads and highways for a much more scenic, slower and relaxed (although longer) adventure in an old Bus. Your Bus will be much happier at a slightly slower speed and will be less stressed. Amen to the AAA Plus card membership, a charged cell phone, a decent set of tools and a few typical wear/breakdown parts.

Have a great time, take lots of photos and post up your story/photos on this thread!

Bill

Highway 1 is open from Big Sur South. The large landslide they had is good to go. Safe travels.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

if the area still looks like it did in 1991 when i drove from Yosemite to Monterrey to Santa Barbara, then Highway 1 is the way to go.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/08/highway-1-i...ive-slide/
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

I5 is mostly flat from the north end of the grapevine to Redding. But most people want to drive 85-90 and trucks don't have patience for a bus trying to get to the top of the hill. 99 is way more built up but people still want to go 80 right on each others asses. 101 seems a little more mellow and built up enough so that theres something at every off ramp. but there are more hills so you're always going really slow or really fast.

I've driven all 3 in a bus. I'd take 101 and cut over at 199 and hit I5 at Grants Pass. I5 traffic in Oregon is more 65-75. The Oregon coast gets pretty remote and floyd and Edna like to drive their 50ft Bounder RV at 25mph and NEVER pull over.

And for Gods sake pull over when you get civilians behind you.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

I've made this drive many times in air and watercooleds. IMO, I-5 straight through is safest and fastest; multi-lane all the way with truck lanes through the Siskiyous and grapevine. I think it's relaxing and scenic. You'll get a little workout Cottage Grove to Yreka but not too bad.

If you want to get some coastline driving in, PCH south of Santa Cruz is where I would start. Oregon 101 is dangerous (risky passing, impatient drivers, RV's). Cut-over at Elkton if you decide to hit the southern Oregon coast. Cutting over at Grants Pass to Crescent City is nice but it's a white knuckle narrow highway with truck traffic; you won't get to enjoy the scenery anyway.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

How much time do you have?

You'll find that you will pass some people when driving in Oregon in a split bus. Not many, but some.
You might want to rock I-5 down to Grants Pass, then take 199 to the coast, and take 101 south from there.
There are a maybe a half dozen of grades in Southern Oregon where you drop to 3rd gear. Just hang in the right lane. I've done this dozens of times. There will be slow trucks in the right lane too.

People drive much faster I-5 in Ca, and are generally worse drivers. So if you have time, avoid I-5 in Ca. I generally have driven I-5, but 101 is nicer.

If you have time, check out the redwoods on 101. Definitely take the Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt. It is awesome. Stop and look around.

Hwy 1 is a LOT longer. It is also more work to drive. Again, do you have three days or a couple weeks?
And how good is the steering?

There may be traffic from Santa Rosa through Morgan Hill on hwy 101 (over 100 miles). Avoid this area during rush hour if you can.

Watch the weather, it can be really hot in the Central Valley this time of year. Hit 102 in Bakersfield on the way to OCTO a week ago. That was fun. Rolling Eyes

Engine size? a 36hp will really feel the hills.

pics of the bus?
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

This is actually a new to me bus..just purchased in Beaverton (actually has one of your interiors Clara, thanks!)..has a 1600dp, original trans and most everything else. Had been pretty dormant recently and now this haul lol. Took my son to go see the Nike stuff in Beaverton then headed out. We drove for around 3hrs and made it to the coast. I think it was on 99, was a very scenic ride but definitely had to stay on my toes with that traffic lol. I think the bus was ready for a cool down by that time as well (I know I was lol). Appears to have some oil dripping around the nose cone and the brakes are kinda spongey. Gonna try and do some parking lot maintenance in the morning before taking off again. We’ll try and keep you guys posted on this adventure along with some photos. Thanks for all your help and info..

Forgot to mention, in response to Clara’s question, we are not necessarily limited on time however the quicker to LA the better. I would like to get to some of the vw shops there and spend some time there but after LA we head back home where soda becomes pop lol..
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Bookmarked and just joined VanAlert thanks rag63 for the tip for this summer. I can't recall the name of the Bus FirstAid site. Anyone recall it?

rag63 wrote:
Two years ago I did this drive in reverse, LA to PDX. We repurchased our ‘65 from they guy we sold it to ten years prior. I flew down and drove back solo.
I did I-5. I cruised 55-60 mph in the right lane. The drive took three easy days.
I had AAA Plus, tools, and basic spares. I also joined VanAlert.
I wish I could of had more time and driven the coast.
Still, it was a lot of fun.
Have a good trip.
Cheers,
Dave

Have a great trip buspeople, maybe Everett will put a sticky in "-- Bus Extended Trip Reports / Adventures -- "
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71827

buspeople wrote:
This is actually a new to me bus..just purchased in Beaverton (actually has one of your interiors Clara, thanks!)..has a 1600dp, original trans and most everything else. Had been pretty dormant recently and now this haul lol. Took my son to go see the Nike stuff in Beaverton then headed out. We drove for around 3hrs and made it to the coast. I think it was on 99, was a very scenic ride but definitely had to stay on my toes with that traffic lol. I think the bus was ready for a cool down by that time as well (I know I was lol). Appears to have some oil dripping around the nose cone and the brakes are kinda spongey. Gonna try and do some parking lot maintenance in the morning before taking off again. We’ll try and keep you guys posted on this adventure along with some photos. Thanks for all your help and info..

Forgot to mention, in response to Clara’s question, we are not necessarily limited on time however the quicker to LA the better. I would like to get to some of the vw shops there and spend some time there but after LA we head back home where soda becomes pop lol..

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Do the coast all the way. Only way to fly.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Any updates?
Hope all is well.

Dave
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

I agree with Clara on the route.

I like to use Google maps for directions and pick the bicycle option. This will give a route with elevation changes so you can consider a path that is most bus friendly. This also puts you off the highway most of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
I agree with Clara on the route.

I like to use Google maps for directions and pick the bicycle option. This will give a route with elevation changes so you can consider a path that is most bus friendly. This also puts you off the highway most of the time.

It's also fun to take your bus down bike paths.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:

I usually pick the pedestrian option, and just drive on the sidewalk Razz
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Thanks to all those following along!..finally rolled into la last night. Looking for someone to get some parts and help with a general tune up now..anybody in the area that has a free half day and knowledge to help would be greatly appreciated. It seems as though everywhere I’ve tried so far I get the”we’re booked so far out already” story.. I will post some photos in a little while, phone is barely charged enough for this post lol..thanks again to everybody. Pm or email if you have a space to work in or are able to help.
buspeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

So we finally made it home lol! I tried to post photos from the road, however, I guess I’ll have to keep reading the instructions on that.. thanks again to everyone I met along the way. Dave, big shout out to you and the awesome guys at SoCal imports..without that group we never would have made it back. Dave at DXR automotive is a super knowledgeable and awesome man. Spent the better part of his Friday, late into the evening just to help get us going. Many thanks to him.! Thanks again for everyone’s advice on routes and the fellas that helped keep us going. I’ll get back to the post when I can include some photos.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip. Looking forward to the photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: