Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EL665
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

Hi all,

First post here. I'm about to pull the trigger on a well-maintained well-upgraded 84' Vanagon. Solar, propex heater, bigger aux battery, Behr air conditioning, etc. 120k miles on the body, engine replaced by GoWesty in 2013. It checks a lot of boxes, but it's priced accordingly at $30k.

I have a couple questions that I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help me out with.

First question:

I'm having a local shop spend ~3 hours inspecting the van before I decide to buy. They're a well-reviewed shop that works on VWs and the occasional Westy, but they don't specialize in Westys or vans.

If you were about to buy a Westy, what would you tell the mechanic to look for during an inspection?

Second question:

It wasn't visible from the listing photos, but in person I can see the van has some rust. Most of it is little specks of surface rust here and there where the paint chipped, but there's a few areas that I'm curious what the folks here would say about it.

Here's the most concerning bit of rust, in the bottom corner of the front windshield:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This next one is along the front edge of the driver side door, a thin line of rust, but the paint doesn't seem to be chipped. I don't think I've seen rust appear like this before.

Random specks along the window edge on the side of the body:

More specks:

Aside from those pics and a handful of other tiny tiny miscellaneous rust specks, the body appears to be in good shape.

What's the prognosis on windshield rust like that? Would this degree of rusting stop you from plunking down a big chunk of change on an 84' Westy?

Thanks all!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

Greetings! - First off, where are you located? Some other overall pictures would help in evaluating the van. Not to burst your bubble, but $30k seems really high for an 84 van which only looks to be in fair condition.

For comps, check this out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2477272

The shop even though they don't specialize in westy's will know what to look for. It's not particularly complicated to do a pre-inspection.

Best of luck!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

Were I shopping, one thing I would certainly do is examine the behavior of the coolant after a hot drive of decent length (say 30 minutes or so).

Vans sometimes go on the market when a combustion leak in a cylinder becomes apparent. Expensive to fix and hard to create in a typical test drive and inspection.

I agree that the rust shown is a bit much for the money asked. How do the seams look, especially on the driver's side? Those are usually the first to go.
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

Regarding the rust assessment, this is not bad at all. Take a close look at the seams for rust / bubbling. The corners around the windshield are a pretty common location for rust and should eventually be addressed, but the photo is far from bad. Some vans will leak inside through these spots. At this point, it is a much bigger problem. Mine looks much worse than this but is dry inside.

Agree that $30k is high, but only you can decide if its worth it. I live in the Pacific Northwest where prices are generally high for these vans and paid $22k for a '91 Westy with a Subaru engine a few years ago (more rust than yours, but nothing too bad) and have been happy with it.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

Those rust spots aren't bad at all - it's the seams and below the sliding door sill I'd be worried about. Also check under the very lowest part of the doors - the windshield seal looks to be the factory one - if ALL the seals are original, including the door scrapers, water will run down inside the doors and rot out the very underside of the doors where you cannot see.

I'd yard that windshield out, treat the rust (there will be more under the rubber) and put a new seal in. Not that big a job.

Good luck with it! I too would choke on the price, but whatever the market will bear - you're a better judge in-person that us sight-unseen, I think.

Edit - if you took rubbing compound to some of those small rust spots and hit them with touchup paint, they'd look pretty dang good - rust always looks worse when there's a patina spread onto the surrounding paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EL665
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Greetings! - First off, where are you located? Some other overall pictures would help in evaluating the van. Not to burst your bubble, but $30k seems really high for an 84 van which only looks to be in fair condition.

For comps, check this out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2477272

The shop even though they don't specialize in westy's will know what to look for. It's not particularly complicated to do a pre-inspection.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply! I'm located in Seattle -- the demand for clean Westys is pretty darn high around here.

Here are a few more photos to give you a better idea of the general condition:

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

that is a very clean Westy. if it runs and does not have hidden rust under a respray, you should buy it.

BiWerks Design, LLC
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
that is a very clean Westy. if it runs and does not have hidden rust under a respray, you should buy it.

It still has the blue plastic film on the stove. I'll never understand those that don't cook in the van at least occasionally.

That second photo in the OP's second set of photos, does the body panel at the rear window look a different shade of tan than the rest of the van?

My thoughts on price; I tend to think a fair price to sell my own van would be around $25k. Mine has ZERO rust but the nose is all buggered up from the bra that the PO put on it. My AC doesn't work and I have no aux heater - but I do have a rebuilt motor and tranny and everything else that makes it go and stop has been replaced during my 10 years of ownership. The suspension could use a bit of work. So, maybe $30k for the one the OP is looking at isn't too far out of whack, especially if there's some room to negotiate. Or maybe I should reconsider what mine is worth now.
EL665
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
That second photo in the OP's second set of photos, does the body panel at the rear window look a different shade of tan than the rest of the van?

Wow eagle eye, yup it is a slightly different color of tan. But I can't tell if it's from different rates of weathering or if it's been replaced/re-painted. It's easier to notice in person than it is from the photos. Any thoughts on that? Something I should ask the mechanic to look at?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

agreed

and unfortunately if you see enough faults not to pay around 30k for it, i suspect someone else would be happy to. it seems the market is strong enough here to really not find great deals unless you act quick

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

Okay - now I'm seeing a $30K van.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

It nice enough and I love the color but I just can’t get over $30k for a van with rust. If someone offered me that for my rust free low mile van I’d jump on it. It must be a seller’s market right now. There ar3 plenty of vanagon shops in the PNW you should be able to get a good inspection done.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

I don't know. If you're in a hurry to buy a van then you're going to spend more. I just browsed the west coast classifieds and there are many vans between 15-25K that are in similar condition. It has a pretty dirty 8 year old engine and 84's command less money generally.
Here's one for almost half that price then you could put 10K into it: https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/d/granite-falls-1984-vw-westfalia/7334435477.html
Or a pretty clean 87: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/seattle-1987-vw-westfalia-camper/7333422742.html

Patience and you can have as nice a van for a lot less.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

I see you're in Seattle by reading your post but you should put your location in your header, people can only help you if they know where you are. There are a lot of helpful people here on the Forums that will jump in their car at a moments notice to give you a hand, but they'd have to know that you're close by first.

30K for an 84 is crazy, I don't care what shape it's in. Seats with no armrests, older style fuse box and a rebuilt engine that is 8 years old. I personally don't care for the striped interior and always want to buy the newest of anything I can find. Newbies fall into a trap thinking that an 84 and a 90 are all the same. You'll see a lot of sellers that are dumping their early van to hold onto a newer one.

What is up with the Yellow wire looped in the dirty engine compartment, has the owner been having Ignition switch or starter problems?

Good luck and welcome to the madness if yo do buy one.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

If you haven't done this, check post dates, update dates of ads for similar Westies on craigslist to get an idea of what's moving, what's sitting. e.g. locally, in Vancouver BC, I've seen listings for similarly stay up on CL for some months. i.e. seller is holding out on price, people aren't biting. But, it is camping season and, some dolts leave their ads up even if the item is sold. Rolling Eyes

From what I know of rust at the window spots, the rust you see is indicative of more rust under the seals themselves. Not a "show stopper" but something to consider, IMO. Don't let the seller convince you that the rust is an easy fix for the average DIY type. e.g. I've heard that the side windows can be tough to remove - reinstall.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

I'd look at this in Here in Ca .ID # : 2477933 $15K is a decent price.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

30K for an early 80s 2wd westy isn't reasonable IMO, maybe 15-20k for a very well-sorted rig. The GW engine is getting dated and is still underpowered, albeit I run an SVX in the interior rockies.

That rust wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but I would make a plan to remove the front window seal and cut out/re-weld/etc the actual leak ASAP.

As others note, the market is insane and demand is high.

Suerte.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I'd look at this in Here in Ca .ID # : 2477933 $15K is a decent price.

Stacy

^^^^^^^^^

(right now!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

My Advise:

Buy the newest + best condition Westy.
Find a 1990-1991 if you can.

For $30,000 you should see a late model
with good mechanicals and upgrades.

expand your search!
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rust assessment and pre-sale inspection checklist Reply with quote

for comparison of values:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: