Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dennis Collins panel van score
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

I’ll go ahead and say you probably wouldn’t be able to stand me either and I am the new owner…. Anyways, yes the original 36 and trans are still with it and only have 41,000 km. It was sold new in Dallas, Tx from a new foreign car dealer. Honestly the running gear probably just needs to be resealed and a thorough once over. However my interest is in the road trips and daily driving my buses so the og stuff will just go be stored away while I own the bus. We put a good 1600sp and a 63 transaxle in it at Dennis’ shop last week and drove it home to Danville, Va. As for the mirrors, partly due to how much I despise being too correct like all the bus nerds/snobs, they’re definitely staying. Biggest improvement ever trying to drive a panel with the rear window not able to be seen out of. I will clean it up eventually as I know it will be a beautiful survivor underneath the lichen and dirt. And no I will not clear coat it.

As for Dennis, I also use to dislike him but to be honest maybe it was out of envy. He’s a class act, he knows cars and even buses considering he’s not specifically a vw guy. He opened up a bay in his shop for me free of charge and kept us fed like kings the entire time my friends and were there.

Too many people get in their own way in the way you seem to be too cool or whatever it is you are to waste your time watching his video about the bus. He wipes his ass the same as you do yours.

Okie Adam wrote:
widehatch wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
I can't stand Dennis Collins long enough to watch the video and see the history of the bus but what I find interesting about this bus from the pics friends have shared with me is that it appears to be a legit Euro bus with a KM speedo and semaphores but logoed for a US business. Now don't jump on me, I understand cars were imported and used and blah blah blah. I'm simply saying that it is interesting to me that it survived in this condition without having turn signals added or a speedo swap done (or at least one of those km/mph stickers added to the face) at some point like so many other euro cars. I mean, trash those trucker mirrors and give it a scrub and this is an awesome survivor!

I hear the OG motor is still with the bus too? It has the far back shifter so is it a split case trany and is it still in there?

you just might have to watch the video to have all your questions answered.

Not worth it Laughing Laughing Laughing
Surprised
‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

There is a MPH sticker over the KM sticker by the way. And to be clear it was originally bought new by Dalr of Dales Home Repair whose family owned until just a few weeks ago. Prior to the few weeks it was one owner, 41,000km(2x,000 miles), semaphore, original paint SWR panel parked in 1972.
‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I can't stand Dennis Collins

i'll never get this mentality. the dude is in business to buy and sell and that's what he does.

he makes no bones about it. profit isn't a dirty word. i'm sure if you bought a 1 owner 21 window in '92 for 1800.00 you sure wouldn't sell it for that today.

and the excuse of "all the rich people moved into the hobby and squeezed out the common man" is b/s too. supply and demand did that.

i can remember not that long ago when squarebody chevys were almost free. they start at 15K and go straight up from there.

i think it's a cool story and from the sounds of it Dennis was very accommodating. i mean honestly what more can you ask for?

as an aside, no one really knew him until 'fast-n-loud' and between Dennis and Richard, Dennis really seemed to care more about the cars and who they were sold to than the money. Richard seemed to have more of a 'kiss the ring' vibe whereas Dennis seemed to be a lot more grounded.

bottom line is these guys are in business to make money. nothing wrong with that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

I'm really confused.

Why is it called 'Coffee Walk'?
They didn't walk anywhere...
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
I can't stand Dennis Collins

i'll never get this mentality. the dude is in business to buy and sell and that's what he does.

he makes no bones about it. profit isn't a dirty word. i'm sure if you bought a 1 owner 21 window in '92 for 1800.00 you sure wouldn't sell it for that today.

and the excuse of "all the rich people moved into the hobby and squeezed out the common man" is b/s too. supply and demand did that.

i can remember not that long ago when squarebody chevys were almost free. they start at 15K and go straight up from there.

i think it's a cool story and from the sounds of it Dennis was very accommodating. i mean honestly what more can you ask for?

as an aside, no one really knew him until 'fast-n-loud' and between Dennis and Richard, Dennis really seemed to care more about the cars and who they were sold to than the money. Richard seemed to have more of a 'kiss the ring' vibe whereas Dennis seemed to be a lot more grounded.

bottom line is these guys are in business to make money. nothing wrong with that

Damn dude! I didn't say anything about Dennis' business or the way he makes money. You are making a lot of assumptions from a few words. If you reread my post you will see most of it was showing interest in the bus and admiring its uniqueness. Have you never just not liked someone? I apologize for unknowingly hitting you in a tender area.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

Didnt they say it was purchased by a military guy and brought back? I got jumped all over when I brought up that point. it looks gray market because it still has the euro stuff.

I wonder what the BC will uncover
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Didnt they say it was purchased by a military guy and brought back? I got jumped all over when I brought up that point. it looks gray market because it still has the euro stuff.

from what i understood from watching the video the original dealer in Dallas imported the cars himself from Germany. that explains why the bus is euro spec and not US spec.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:

Damn dude! I didn't say anything about Dennis' business or the way he makes money..

lol tender area.

then what other reason do you have to not like him?

i'm just saying.... seems to be a theme with anyone on TV.

he doesn't carry himself as arrogant so i find it hard to not like someone unless you have had past dealings with said person.

sorry if i got your "tender area" by quoting you and pointing something out.

there. now i gave you a reason to not like me Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

I had a preconceived notion at one point too. I guess the association with that stupid gas monkey show can make one judgmental. I started watching his channel awhile back and he seems like a great dude who enjoys the chase. At least it ended up with a bus guy and it’s back on the road where it belongs.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
At least it ended up with a bus guy and it’s back on the road where it belongs.

Yepper, that is the best part, congrats on the good score.......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I can't stand Dennis Collins long enough to watch the video

Funny, I had watched nearLy every GMG, UNTIL Aaron left the show.
GMG was played out by then, so it was a good time to just stop.
Like you, I couldn't stand Dennis Collins or at least my impression of him from GMG.
So for a long time I didn't watch Coffee Walk with Dennis Collins,
YouTube's Algorithm dumps more of the same subject of stuff on you that you watch,
So new Coffee Walks showed up everytime I watched one of my normal favorites.
I resisted viewing for a long time, but finally he had something that he was showing,
that was worth "putting up with an asshole" to check out.
So I watched a Coffee Walk, and as it turned out, at least for me,
that Dennis Collins isn't the asshole I thought he was.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

From what I've seen of his videos, he might know Jeeps but when it comes to Porsche 911's with CIS, sorry Dennis, it's not "Central Injection System" it's "Continuous Injection System". Rolling Eyes
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

Just a heads up to anyone who might believe that reality shows are real. They are not. They have scripts, and story editors who make it exciting for you, the viewer. It is usually a bunch of stupid drama, etc. Dennis Collins is just an actor, and he plays roles on TV and the youtube.

Personally, I can't stand those shows. I do this stuff for a living, and my reality is very different and much more enjoyable than what they show.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Personally, I can't stand those shows. I do this stuff for a living, and my reality is very different and much more enjoyable than what they show.

I agree with this statement 100% Lind! Hell until this thread I had never even heard of Dennis Collins and I have zero desire to watch any videos.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

The direction this thread has gone shows a lot of negative something whether it’s envy or what I don’t know. I’ve now dealt with Dennis personally and spent a few days with him. A: he’s more of a car guy than most anyone you are. B: He made his millions and his business long before gas monkey or reality shows were a thing. He’s been in business for 38 years. He is honestly probably the hardest working hustler I’ve come across and manages to do it without being an Asshole.

You other guys including myself that are in this business for a living are slacking big time compared to Dennis. I disliked him before as well, I got over myself and saw his “reality” first hand. He’s in his shop 6-7 days a week hands on dealing with every aspect. I can’t say anything about Richard Rawlings bc I simply do not know but as for Dennis, he’s real and got my respect.

Lind wrote:
Just a heads up to anyone who might believe that reality shows are real. They are not. They have scripts, and story editors who make it exciting for you, the viewer. It is usually a bunch of stupid drama, etc. Dennis Collins is just an actor, and he plays roles on TV and the youtube.

‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler

Last edited by Graysvws on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

As far as the bus goes, I think it's a great find, cool story, and glad it went to you- I'll watch for updates and how it cleans up/what you do.
Great bus!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

Yea me too..
Now go get thoses crawley/growth things off the bus already...and show us some logos.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

I will very soon. Currently back off camping out of the bus now. Laughing
aa390392 wrote:
Yea me too..
Now go get thoses crawley/growth things off the bus already...and show us some logos.

Here’s a sneak peek at the video we have made of the bus for anyone that is interested in seeing it. The full episode will come out in the next couple of days.

https://youtu.be/gTjk5XNpWFI
‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

Graysvws wrote:
The direction this thread has gone shows a lot of negative something whether it’s envy or what I don’t know. I’ve now dealt with Dennis personally and spent a few days with him. A: he’s more of a car guy than most anyone you are. B: He made his millions and his business long before gas monkey or reality shows were a thing. He’s been in business for 38 years. He is honestly probably the hardest working hustler I’ve come across and manages to do it without being an Asshole.

You other guys including myself that are in this business for a living are slacking big time compared to Dennis. I disliked him before as well, I got over myself and saw his “reality” first hand. He’s in his shop 6-7 days a week hands on dealing with every aspect. I can’t say anything about Richard Rawlings bc I simply do not know but as for Dennis, he’s real and got my respect.

Lind wrote:

Anytime someone gets a cool car some people get jealous or whatever.

I should make clear that I have no opinion of Dennis Collins, as the only thing I have ever seen was the video of him buying the bus. I am always worried when something cool and original like that comes up. If it ends up in the wrong hands, someone might restore all the originality out of it or worse. It is super cool that Dennis got the bus and put it in the right hands. Flippers can be good, bad or otherwise, and this was certainly a good flip for the bus.

Actors on reality shows are doing a job, and they are not the same as the people they portray. I am sure that some people hated Carrol O'Connor for his role as Archie Bunker, but he was playing a role that was the polar opposite of who he was as a person.

This bus is super cool, and the drive out was epic. Well done guys.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dennis Collins panel van score Reply with quote

You’re absolutely right, a lot of these shows are just actors. If you notice Dennis was hardly ever on gas monkey bc he was more of the money man just interested in the cars and not the drama. It took me a long time to be willing to do a YouTube episode but i finally gave in. One thing for certain it will always be just actual reality and no made up crap haha. Take care, hope to meet again!

Lind wrote:
Graysvws wrote:

Lind wrote:

Anytime someone gets a cool car some people get jealous or whatever.

I should make clear that I have no opinion of Dennis Collins, as the only thing I have ever seen was the video of him buying the bus. I am always worried when something cool and original like that comes up. If it ends up in the wrong hands, someone might restore all the originality out of it or worse. It is super cool that Dennis got the bus and put it in the right hands. Flippers can be good, bad or otherwise, and this was certainly a good flip for the bus.

Actors on reality shows are doing a job, and they are not the same as the people they portray. I am sure that some people hated Carrol O'Connor for his role as Archie Bunker, but he was playing a role that was the polar opposite of who he was as a person.

This bus is super cool, and the drive out was epic. Well done guys.

‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: