Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 bug to do
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Good point Abscate.
The bug looks great even though I would have preferred patina.
Keep up the good work. Applause Applause Applause

Abscate wrote:
It’s just one of many Beetles. Being in a museum is cool , too. In a county of one million I see about 3 AC VWs on the road in my area, and a Bug with an 18 year old will last about 6 months, unless it’s a cool kid up in Michigan

I like original paint too complete with road rash and whiskey bumps, as they say it’s only original once. I took the buffer and compound to it trying to demonstrate what could be but was overruled by someone further up the chain.

Another way to look at this is being inside a climate controlled museum it will not deteriorate any further and can be enjoyed by everyone going through the museum. I’ve seen the guest registration and people from all over the world make this drive along 66.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Car museums, where machines meant for utility go to die. Don't get me wrong the community aspect is wonderful, but why not give it to an 18 kid from a poor family and let him DRIVE IT. In todays world you can visit all the museums virtually. Machines are designed and meant for service.

Nah, you would be saddling them with the unneeded troubles and expenses of an old car.

Better to give a crappy beat up Honda that will run forever doing almost nothing.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Granted...a crappy Honda and the Beetle to enjoy. Not all 18 yr olds are hard on cars, in fact many fall in love with their classic dream and really take good care ( I did!). To me its like fine art stored in a vault, really??? It defeats the point of that items existence. Share the experience, keep them in true circulation, run an errand, take a road trip, go to the drive in, explore dusty canyons, haul a couch on the roof rack...LIVE! Alas that Beetle will just to sit, collect dust while those with hopes and dreams walk away denied because one more car has been pulled from circulation. They can always go the "car show" I suppose.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Granted...a crappy Honda and the Beetle to enjoy. Not all 18 yr olds are hard on cars, in fact many fall in love with their classic dream and really take good care ( I did!). To me its like fine art stored in a vault, really??? It defeats the point of that items existence. Share the experience, keep them in true circulation, run an errand, take a road trip, go to the drive in, explore dusty canyons, haul a couch on the roof rack...LIVE! Alas that Beetle will just to sit, collect dust while those with hopes and dreams walk away denied because one more car has been pulled from circulation. They can always go the "car show" I suppose.

I can see your point but think about this. With over 21 million produced there are still a fair number available despite millions crushed and gone. When I was a pup people were taking oval window cars and turning them into Baja bugs, I didn’t like that at all.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

" A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are for"

Lord Admiral Nelson

Driven cars support the aftermarket parts industry which in turns keeps those of us that actually use ACVW's as intended transportation on the road. Like it or not every show queen and museum relic drives one nail further into the coffin of the cars we love. What made the scene remarkable was that these humble cars were so accessible on every level with a very low bar for entry. Sure all experiences mature and tastes change. If you raffled or donated that car to a newbie it would have a far greater positive impact on the scene than the guilded cage.

I know this line of thought runs upstream from the accepted narrative, yet there are truths we should be discussing before we end up like AC Cobras.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: